VOGONS

Reply 20 of 32, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

Did you try to update (or downgrade ?) the BIOS and look if that can fix this problem ?

Yes, it's on the list of the things I tried in the first post. I upgraded to the latest BIOS available for this board.

Reply 21 of 32, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

which board is it precisely?

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 22 of 32, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
meljor wrote:

which board is it precisely?

It's the Intel "Orlando" NV430VX
http://www.elhvb.com/mobokive/Archive/POWER_U … el/28182101.pdf
If I'm not mistaken, it was only made for OEMs with minor defferences, for example mine doesn't have the on-board sound card.

Reply 25 of 32, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have you tried changing the PCI port of the Voodoo Card or even switching the 2D passthrough and Voodoo card around? Sometimes PCI cards work in some slots and not others - the topmost slot was what I used for Voodoo cards in some builds IIRC because the others could prove problematic. It could be an IRQ conflict of some type; I would try going into BIOS and disabling Automatic PCI IRQ assignations and manually assign IRQs only to ports I actually use and see if that helps..

Also, have you tried to see if it works with one of the EARLIER BIOS versions? It could be a PCIset issue that presented itself in a later BIOS and went undetected as Voodoo cards were not a thing back then..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

PCI uses "INTs", not IRQs.

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/vie … 1s03s01s01.html

Just nitpicking.. 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 27 of 32, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote:

PCI uses "INTs", not IRQs.

https://www.safaribooksonline.com/library/vie … 1s03s01s01.html

Just nitpicking.. 😉

Sorry, I stand corrected, it might be conflicting INTs 🙁

Reply 28 of 32, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:

Sorry, I stand corrected, it might be conflicting INTs 🙁

Nah, that's okay; IRQ is commonly used as an abbreviation for "interrupt" (-request).
Really just wanted to mention that link. It tells about the (physical) differences about ISA/PCI.
On PCI, not all slots are handled equally. On the computer side, INTs are mapped to IRQs.
And since the compatibility issue seems to be more hardware (bus) related, I wanted to point that out. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 29 of 32, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These cards do not use an irq adress.

I don't know a solution to this problem, it's just strange that windows works fine. Maybe another bios version but otherwise i don't know what i would try.

Perhaps other memory, psu or harddisk as these things can cause strange behaviour.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 30 of 32, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Also, have you tried to see if it works with one of the EARLIER BIOS versions? It could be a PCIset issue that presented itself in a later BIOS and went undetected as Voodoo cards were not a thing back then..

Now that's something I haven't tried. I'm not sure though how I can, there doesn't seem to exist an earlier BIOS available online.

About changing slots and components, unfortunately those are all done and listed in the first post. Maybe another direction would be to start thinking what Windows might be overriding/changing that makes the card work.

Reply 31 of 32, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Now that's something I haven't tried. I'm not sure though how I can, there doesn't seem to exist an earlier BIOS available online.

About changing slots and components, unfortunately those are all done and listed in the first post. Maybe another direction would be to start thinking what Windows might be overriding/changing that makes the card work.

The first thing that comes to mind is that Windows is a PnP OS and your PCI configuration may be set to PnP (Auto) and DOS can't handle that well; have you tried setting your ISA/PCI slot configurations manually in BIOS?

Reply 32 of 32, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

The first thing that comes to mind is that Windows is a PnP OS and your PCI configuration may be set to PnP (Auto) and DOS can't handle that well; have you tried setting your ISA/PCI slot configurations manually in BIOS?

Sadly yes, that one was really probable and I was certain that playing with these would fix it.

konc wrote:

-Played with BIOS settings by trying the IRQs in auto, manual, reset settings to default.