VOGONS

GPU Heatsink Options

Topic actions

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up an ELSA Gladiac Ultra (GeForce2 Ultra) but the heatsink that attached to the top 4 memory chips was missing.

Is there anything I can use to attach to these for cooling outside buying new heatsink chips like these - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16835708009

I have a bunch of thermal pads left over as well as some copper shims from a PS3 fix, are those viable to use?

I guess I could also remove a heatsink from an unused card and apply it to the Ultra as well.

Looking for any other options

Reply 1 of 6, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

the shims do not offer the cooling ability a heatsink does, the surface of a heatsink is just alot bigger then a shim.

Reply 2 of 6, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What about thermal pads I can cut to size?

Reply 3 of 6, by tgod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The ultra's memory has been speed bumped a whole 60mhz compared to the pro/ti models which don't have heatsinks on the memory. Couldn't you just underclock the card?

Reply 4 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess that card means nothing if you are unwilling to put some proper cooling to make up for the missing vram cooler. Nice card...

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 6, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right, so I wanna get cooling on the memory chips......thermal pads no good then?

Reply 6 of 6, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Smack2k wrote:

Right, so I wanna get cooling on the memory chips......thermal pads no good then?

Thermal pads are fine with proper heatsinks.