VOGONS

My ASUS P2B Pentium II Build

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 24, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My heatsink, CPU and slocket have all arrived, and I'd like to set it up correctly (as correctly as possible anyway!)

HqD2RoIh.jpg

I chose this slocket because a) it has lots of jumpers to set various frequencies and voltages and b) there isn't much choice of slockets on ebay UK. I have a Coppermine PIII 700MHz / 256k / 1.75 volts. How would I set this on the slocket and motherboard?

A7TyK3th.jpg
KTJeeogh.jpg

1) White Sliders

I assume the white sliders in blue box control the voltage, with the different settings seen in table in the second image? I understand (http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_p … pgrade_faq.html) these chips are quite happy over-volting. I chose a relatively high voltage chip to minimise this potential problem. Edit Can my motherboard control the voltage? it can go down to 1.8v in theory...

2) Jumpers

What are the five jumpers for? What does the Auto / Manual 'option' refer to?

3) Top Right settings

At the top right of the board as seen in image 2 it lists three options

1. Dual CPU M/B
2. Over Clock
3. VCore Selectable

I can see the nearby jumper to set whether overclocking is available (I assume some kind of multiplier lock protection?) But I'm not sure where the slider / jumper is to inform the board as to whether I am running two cpus, and that I would like to manually adjust the voltage!

I've set my multiplier to 7x on the motherboard (even though it shouldn't make a difference as it's multi locked I think?)

I don't want to just mess around with it to find the right setting because i'd like to avoid accidently putting 2.4v through it!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 21 of 24, by ScoutPilot19

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

He-He... Once I had a computer on a Asus P2Bf from late 1990s to early 2000s... Now have one on P3Bf with PIII-550, which is newest retro-pc in my collection.)

Reply 23 of 24, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:

If you use old slot CPUs, then always make sure to renew the heatsink compound.
That stuff becomes dry and very ineffective over the years!

Yes you're right but unfortunately I have no idea how to get the SECC heatsink/ Cartridge off! I usually put fresh thermal paste on anything I buy second hand so it bugs me that I haven't been able to!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 24 of 24, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
Almoststew1990 wrote:
Arctic wrote:

If you use old slot CPUs, then always make sure to renew the heatsink compound.
That stuff becomes dry and very ineffective over the years!

Yes you're right but unfortunately I have no idea how to get the SECC heatsink/ Cartridge off! I usually put fresh thermal paste on anything I buy second hand so it bugs me that I haven't been able to!

thermal paste/pads become easier to get off when you heat them a little bit. I had this problem recently with 2 heatsinks so I took my solder iron and put the temperature at the lowest setting (200 degrees) and put it on the heatsink untill it became warm enough (I guess around 40 degrees or so) and then started turning the heatsink very carefully untill i could turn it 360 degrees and was able to take it off without using force (don't force it!). If you force it you may risk damaging the the chips.