VOGONS

New DreamBlaster S2 !

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 123, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I'm really new to this MIDI thing. When I was a kid, all I had was some cheap SB 16 ISA. While it is great that people have recorded MIDI from sources like the S2/X2/Roland's, what does something pedestrian like a SB Live, Audigy, or Vortex2 sound like?

Reply 21 of 123, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you enter PCI soundcard territory it means you have moved passed DOS gaming and windows games of the era use digital audio in music (or CDDA) . The Creative series install a software synth with their drivers, similar to the Microsoft GS one that comes with windows. They are pretty basic and a hit-and-miss 50% of the time IMHO, one can install way better software synths , Phil's Computer Lab made a great video about it.
So it's no surprise noone cared to record some live!/audigy midi playback , it's kinda basic and nothing special. You can get a taste with the Microsoft one.

Now when it comes to either using the default synths or S2, personally I'd pick S2. But keep in mind these midi devices shine on older DOS games.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 22 of 123, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

When you enter PCI soundcard territory it means you have moved passed DOS gaming and windows games of the era use digital audio in music (or CDDA) . The Creative series install a software synth with their drivers, similar to the Microsoft GS one that comes with windows. They are pretty basic and a hit-and-miss 50% of the time IMHO, one can install way better software synths , Phil's Computer Lab made a great video about it.
So it's no surprise noone cared to record some live!/audigy midi playback , it's kinda basic and nothing special. You can get a taste with the Microsoft one.

Now when it comes to either using the default synths or S2, personally I'd pick S2. But keep in mind these midi devices shine on older DOS games.

With some notable exceptions (that sometimes have very useful features).

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 23 of 123, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Currently my audician has a Midi Joystick Adapter with softmpu and a mt32, but Midi Sounds terrible with it. i think i Will Go for an s2 because Land of lore Sounds brillant.

I just ordered a s2.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 24 of 123, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ MT-32 needs MT-32 stuff to sound great, GM on it is just wrong. Even with the special midi that remaps and programs missing GM sounds the result is not that great.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25 of 123, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

^ MT-32 needs MT-32 stuff to sound great, GM on it is just wrong. Even with the special midi that remaps and programs missing GM sounds the result is not that great.

Agreed. There are patches, for example, to convert Ultima Underworld MT-32 files to GM. I tried this briefly, but found it sounded worse than FM.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 27 of 123, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but that's precisely what I would want. I have a SB Audigy/Vortex 2 PCI. I know the software synth will probably be subpar. However, I really don't know how much better S2 sounds in comparison to having software synth. Only after I installed Final Fantasy VII last night, listened to it on my Audigy and compared it to Phil's, did I realize how terrible it sounds in comparison.

Reply 28 of 123, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

so why not use Phil's video and then play some stuff on your soundcard to decide if it worths it for you or not? Just play the same stuff and you'll be set 😀

Reply 29 of 123, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The S2 is a BIG! improvement for my audician32plus THX!! I still have another Retro-PC with audician32plus so I am currently thinking about to buy another S2 or something different.

Reply 30 of 123, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you think a Dreamblaster S2 would work with a Yamaha YMF719-S?

i have an ISA card with that chip and a 25 pin wavetable connector

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 31 of 123, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

The S2 is a BIG! improvement for my audician32plus THX!! I still have another Retro-PC with audician32plus so I am currently thinking about to buy another S2 or something different.

I'd get something different - the beauty of GM devices is that they all sound different, and I love switching b/w my various GM hardware for a given game to see what sounds best.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 32 of 123, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carlos S. M. wrote:

Do you think a Dreamblaster S2 would work with a Yamaha YMF719-S?

i have an ISA card with that chip and a 25 pin wavetable connector

Yes it would.

Reply 33 of 123, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's actually a very good combo considering the S2's size and the lower clearance common with Yamaha OPL-SA cards. Most daughterboards are too tall to fit.

Reply 34 of 123, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:
dr.zeissler wrote:

I'd get something different - the beauty of GM devices is that they all sound different, and I love switching b/w my various GM hardware for a given game to see what sounds best.

so what do you recommend if it should be a small unit?

Reply 36 of 123, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://www.thomann.de/gb/general_midi_sound_modules.html

expensive stuff 🙁

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2017-04-08, 13:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 37 of 123, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It can get expensive if you're buying Roland, Yamaha, and E-MU modules. The cheapest and most flexible way is to emulate.
Roland MT-32, CM-32L + General MIDI for $50 Building a MIDI box

Reply 38 of 123, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am more in real hardware 😀 Emulation needs a much bigger amount of different cables and other hardware.
And newer hardware like USB interface etc. My Retro-Machines mostly do not have USB support because I don't need it,
what I need is network-support and that do indeed have all my machines from 286 on.

I thought about a different MIDI-Interface module.

Reply 39 of 123, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr.zeissler wrote:

so what do you recommend if it should be a small unit?

These are small and sound good I think:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Monster-Sound … vQAAOSw4GVYNtY0

Or here's a nice ESS based card with an interesting GM onboard:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/166575-001-Compaq-CPQ … rYAAOSwA3dYbpen

This is way over priced but I bought a Crystal based DB like this a while back for ~10 bucks and it rocks too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Terratec-Promedia-SY- … rQAAOSwnDxUhY1d

Last edited by badmojo on 2017-04-08, 21:04. Edited 1 time in total.