VOGONS

Reply 40 of 112, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote:

Yep, that's the way to go if you don't want to resolder another barrel-type battery. Those are correct nicd replacements, can be charged, and have the correct voltage. The only problem is that in some cases the charging voltage is not enough for them but this is a rare case and they still qualify as one of the best alternatives.

And in the case of these cordless phone packs or an external battery holder, you can mount the things in the bottom of the case away from anything you need to protect.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 42 of 112, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Either way. Pretty easy to slip off an ATX side panel, especially with thumbscrews.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 43 of 112, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so I clipped off the barrel battery and have the replacement battery fitted with an extension (made using header pins and dupont jumper wires, and some electric tape) so that it can be glued to the case bottom. All is well. Except the question of how to charge this thing?

med_gallery_60983_11505_210590.jpg

NiMh batteries require 12+ hours of initial charging, and I have no clue how a motherboard charging circuit works. Would I have to plug this onto the EXT BATTERY header and keep the PC running for 12 hours? Or would just keeping the PC plugged into the wall socket be enough for the battery to get charged?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 44 of 112, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone more knowledgeable will probably correct me but...

The external battery header probably does not charge at all, if I understand things correctly.

You'd have to modify that extension cable so you can plug it into the regular battery soldering holes.

(Or did I miss something "upthread" and you have measured the connector pins for the external battery and they provide voltage?)

Reply 46 of 112, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, no, I have not really tested the EXT BAT headers for current - should I do this with the power plugged in and the board powered? I think it's much easier to just solder headers onto the old battery connectors. I'll do that 😀

Aaaand, done:

med_gallery_60983_11505_225111.jpg

med_gallery_60983_11505_193077.jpg

Did I do good? 😀

Reply 47 of 112, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perfect. Now just measure the voltage across the battery and leave the computer on for a couple of hours. Measure again.
I'd put the battery in a small plastic container if it will be stored in this position so it contains any potential leak. It will still do some corrosion damage to the case but it's spread will be limited.

Reply 48 of 112, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

Well, no, I have not really tested the EXT BAT headers for current - should I do this with the power plugged in and the board powered? I think it's much easier to just solder headers onto the old battery connectors. I'll do that 😀

Aaaand, done:

Ha ha, nice.

Does this set of pins look like an external battery header? If no luck, then I might just try appiah4's method.

nBY5S9U.jpg

Reply 49 of 112, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For the record I can report that the mod I did works perfectly with the batteries I use.

Reply 50 of 112, by cliffclaven

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I also found success. In the pic two posts up, JP4 jumper stayed as is, and the 4 pin header was indeed for external battery. I'll get myself one of the battery boxes from ebay, but in the meantime a sandwich of two cr2032s, some electrical tape and a speaker header wire did the trick.

VdjjYJfl.jpg

Reply 51 of 112, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
If it helps any, here are photos of the battery and corrosion in question: […]
Show full quote

If it helps any, here are photos of the battery and corrosion in question:

gallery_60983_11505_17058.jpg

gallery_60983_11505_79074.jpg
[...]

Commenting on your old post in this old thread, because I need know....

What camera did you use to take those close-up shots?? They look amazing.

Reply 52 of 112, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe they were from the stock photo app of my Samsung Galaxy Alpha with an led flashlight instead of the flash.

Reply 54 of 112, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anyone uses rechargeable ML2032? Then there is no need for diodes. Just solder the 2032 holder and stick this in.

Like:
s-l300.jpg

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 56 of 112, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The charging circuit on the mobos (if present at all) is only single current limit resistor, nothing beyond that. There's no overcharge protection or any other things. I haven't had any problems using rechargeable lithium batteries even after multitude of years. For rarely used stuff I install AA packs and do make sure that charge resistor (if preset) is incapacitated.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 57 of 112, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote:

ML2032 are lithium based. You surely don't want to recharge these with a circuitry designed for NiCd.

I've seen this on another forum. Reports are good. Just wanted to know if someone here did the same and what is the experience.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 58 of 112, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I went a different route with a 486 motherboard, I plugged in a 3xAA battery holder onto the BATT_EXT header and used 3 1.2V AA NiMH 2500mAH rechargeable batteries for the job. It seems to have worked fine, however when I measure the voltage on the battery pack I'm getting 4.15V, which is considerably above the 3.6V the board would normally get supplied. Should I be concerned about damaging anything?

Reply 59 of 112, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have used this type of 2032 on lots of boards in the past. Works beautifully.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https … %2F151634844250

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011