VOGONS

First post, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This website has been online since 2012, so some of you might know it already. The design was rather obsolete from the very beggining (from both user and technological point of view). In late 2015 I've decided something must be done about it and for year and a half I've been working on completely new web... which is now finally up and running. 😀 Currently more or less everything is working as planned - that includes much better interactivity, design, improved searching, sorting and also backwards compatibility with existing links. I'm sure there are plenty of links pointing to old hw-museum here on Vogons and other places as well.... most of them should be successfully redirected to the new website.

The main purpose remains the same - to show my personal collection of old (and sometimes not so old) hardware with detailed specification and hires photos, simply museum. Just to be clear, none of the shown items are available for sale / trade / or anything else. Just for watching. 🤣

With the new website I've decided to create some now categories - like early 2D video cards... which is now almost empty, but I have various ISA/PCI VGAs here and these will be added in the future. The same applies for mobile CPUs. Now I also have proper interface to create articles... so in time there will be some rather extensive tests of CPUs (and hopefully GPUs in the future) posted. These articles will include interactive charts... but these are still far from ready at the moment... so let's hope I will be able to finish this project in not-so-distant future and use it there.

Enough talking, here is the link http://hw-museum.cz/ Enjoy 😀
hw-museumytsep.png

//edit: December 30th 2018 - I also have YouTube channel. At the moment it only contains three GPU Duel videos, but I will add more in the future. Perhaps even some gaming footage or videos to compare image quality of different GPUs.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCscNGeIf1bhAs21_dOZHVcw

I will keep this thread updated with major changes - like published articles.

Last edited by havli on 2018-12-30, 15:08. Edited 1 time in total.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 1 of 23, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cheers! Great job with the redesign! Looking forward to checking it out in depth.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 23, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for sharing this, great source of information! Especially for someone like me, who is going to buy some older GPU, and now I know, what can I expect from it. Keep it up with this work!older

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 4 of 23, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Updated the first post with link to my YT channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCscNGeIf1bhAs21_dOZHVcw

Reply 5 of 23, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It took almost two years... but better late than never. 😀 The first article using brand new interactive charts:

25 Years of HDD history in benchmarks - 1992 - 2017
http://hw-museum.cz/article/4/25-years-of-hdd … in-benchmarks/1

Reply 6 of 23, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

New GPU Duel is online:

GeForce 8800 Ultra OC vs 2 × Radeon HD 2900 XT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifVqBb0b3wo

Reply 13 of 23, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce 7800 GTX vs Radeon X1800 XT

1. Nvidia has very sh*tty support for legacy cards under Windows 7 or newer OS. ForceWare 275.33. doesn't help it either.
2. Different VRAM size.

While 1800XT should be faster under normal conditions, but only slightly.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 14 of 23, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote on 2019-12-16, 20:16:

Radeon HD 2600 XT vs GeForce 8600 GTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9SAwyROBU

My old daily pc has a Crossfire Club3D Radeon HD 2600 XT setup. That was quite powerful for its time (2007 or so?), it ran Flight Simulator X pretty smooth at 1280x1024p.

Reply 15 of 23, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-01-31, 05:01:

1. Nvidia has very sh*tty support for legacy cards under Windows 7 or newer OS. ForceWare 275.33. doesn't help it either.
2. Different VRAM size.

While 1800XT should be faster under normal conditions, but only slightly.

I agree GF7 win7 drivers are not perfect, but neither is Catalyst 10.2 legacy.
7800 GTX 512MB is almost impossible to find. And even if I had it, it would be much slower that X1800 XT under these conditions anyway. These games are not GF7-friendly and that is well known. Using older games the 7800 GTX would be much more competitive, yes.

Reply 16 of 23, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
havli wrote on 2020-01-31, 20:53:

7800 GTX 512MB is almost impossible to find.

I have one for sale on my website if you're interested. I actually have two, the other one is complete in box but I like to keep that one (found them last year during a clearance sale of a former pc fair trader).

Reply 17 of 23, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree GF7 win7 drivers are not perfect, but neither is Catalyst 10.2 legacy

Then why not use Windows XP with more appropriate drivers?

Reply 18 of 23, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Because at the time I launched this benchmark project (June 2018), the end of Steam support for Windows XP was already announced... and since most of my games are Steam-based, I took the safe way and went for Win7.

Reply 19 of 23, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and since most of my games are Steam-based

That's not a problem, DRM can be disabled.