VOGONS

First post, by VR7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm running Heavy Gear II on Windows 10, 64-bit, on an Intel Core i5 with a GeForce GTX 670. It is running near perfect, aside from the lack of CD audio (I haven't been able to resolve this even with inmm.dll, I've given up on that at the moment). However, I'm having the same problem as the person from this post--that is, some visual effects are missing, especially fog. I tried both with standard Direct3D and with the dgVoodoo wrapper, neither of which had any impact. I do know that dgVoodoo is working, however, because I was able to upscale the game's resolution beyond 1024x768 with it.

Was the fog issue ever resolved/is there a way to resolve it? I'm running the latest dgVoodoo (2.53) and using the dgVoodoo Virtual 3D accelerated card as the renderer. I should also note that the game runs fine even without dgVoodoo, just without the benefit of being able to run it at a higher resolution.

-VR7.

Reply 1 of 5, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VR7 wrote:

Hello,

I'm running Heavy Gear II on Windows 10, 64-bit, on an Intel Core i5 with a GeForce GTX 670. It is running near perfect, aside from the lack of CD audio (I haven't been able to resolve this even with inmm.dll, I've given up on that at the moment). However, I'm having the same problem as the person from this post--that is, some visual effects are missing, especially fog. I tried both with standard Direct3D and with the dgVoodoo wrapper, neither of which had any impact. I do know that dgVoodoo is working, however, because I was able to upscale the game's resolution beyond 1024x768 with it.

Was the fog issue ever resolved/is there a way to resolve it? I'm running the latest dgVoodoo (2.53) and using the dgVoodoo Virtual 3D accelerated card as the renderer. I should also note that the game runs fine even without dgVoodoo, just without the benefit of being able to run it at a higher resolution.

Try using the latest WIP build: WIP versions

Reply 2 of 5, by VR7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried some of the WIP builds, as well as the latest stable release (2.54). There doesn't seem to be any effect so far.

If it helps, I've attached a screenshot of my current settings and a screen of what the game currently looks like; though it pretty much looks the same as the screenshot from the post that shares the same issue.

Edit: Fog works in Heavy Gear 1 if you use Direct3D instead of 3Dfx, so it might have something to do with the way the sequel handles fog.

Attachments

• heavygear2-2.png
    Filename
    heavygear2-2.png
    File size
    1.11 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    In-game screenshot
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • heavygear2-1.png
    Filename
    heavygear2-1.png
    File size
    76.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    dgVoodoo settings
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

-VR7.

Reply 4 of 5, by Rampagesv

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OMG how did you manage to run Hg2 on a windows 10 PC i have tried everything on this forums (I have been lurking Vorgons over a year now) and I have't been able to make it run well

I end up building a Windows 98 SE PC to play the game again.
<S>

Reply 5 of 5, by VR7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have no idea how I got it to work, actually. I know that I struggled to get it to work on Windows 7 (it would constantly crash at the end of a mission, making the single player campaign nearly unplayable). What I can tell you, however, is that I did a system upgrade from 7 to 10 rather than an installation from scratch, though that may not necessarily be the solution. Something must have happened in-between, because crashes are a rare occurrence now.

What I did to try and fix HG2 on Windows 7 was run the 32-bit Compatibility Administrator, and applied a bunch of fixes. I know the following works for sure:

CorrectFilePaths
DirectXTrimTextureFormats
DirectXVersionLie
Win98VersionLie

DirectXTrimTextureFormats is important if you have funky graphical glitches in-game which are pretty common. CorrectFilePaths is especially important, because it is the reason HG2 crashes at least 50% of the time--it tries to access files from a system folder that is obsolete by Windows 7 onwards. I don't remember if the VersionLie fixes work, I just applied them just to be safe. I applied a bunch of other fixes but I don't think they actually do anything, since the game seems to work without them.

There's also a shell.dll patch floating around somewhere that introduces a bunch of other stability fixes, I don't remember where to find it though.

-VR7.