VOGONS

First post, by thefarstrider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys, hopefully someone on here can help me. I have had trouble hosting IPX games over the internet. I've had success using the IPX tunneling just on my home LAN, using the local IP address of my host computer as the ipxnet connect address, but when I try to host a game across the internet, I can't seem to get it working. For starters, I don't know what IP to use, as I believe my isp has moved over to IPv6. When I type ipconfig, I get:

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : santarosa.edu

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : attlocal.net
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2602:306:cc2f:e9e0:f927:5362:5adc:39f8
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2602:306:cc2f:e9e0:3c88:459a:5a64:a731
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : 2602:306:cc2f:e9e0:4105:a43:58fc:c297
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::f927:5362:5adc:39f8%5
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : fe80::660f:28ff:febe:a3a1%5

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:9d38:90d7:14aa:3462:933d:161
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::14aa:3462:933d:161%16
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter isatap.attlocal.net:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : attlocal.net

When I go to whatismyip.org, it tells me my IP is 108.194.254.158, which seems wrong, since I get the same result using a different computer but through my same wifi network. Makes me think my ips ran out of IPv4 addresses and now shares 108.194.254.158 amongst multiple users. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try http://test-ipv4.com/

I don't believe the version of SDL that DOSBox uses supports IPV6 although there are unofficial patches to SDL for it: https://bugzilla.libsdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2959

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sry but what you posted is hardly what you meant? i have no clue about ipv6 but if the ipv4 of that connection is a local one the other address is hardly your global ip; you might want to look at the gateway?

Reply 3 of 6, by thefarstrider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DosFreak: Thanks for the links! I tried the IPv4 test and it came up with that same IP, 108.194.254.158, so unfortunately no leads there. As for the SDL, is that something I install that augments how DOSBox connects to other users? I'm almost entirely uneducated in computer networking.

mrau: I'm not sure what you mean. My local address is 192.168.1.100, which works fine when I connect to my other machine over my home network, but since it's a local address, that's not the one I've been trying over the internet. The only one I've tried over the internet is 108.194.254.158, which doesn't seem to work for reasons stated in the original post. Port forwarding through my firewall didn't help.

Does anyone know of a way of testing an outgoing connection? I mean, is there some server I can ipxnet connect to as a way of testing whether my ipx connection is working at all over the internet?

Reply 4 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
thefarstrider wrote:

DosFreak: Thanks for the links! I tried the IPv4 test and it came up with that same IP, 108.194.254.158, so unfortunately no leads there. As for the SDL, is that something I install that augments how DOSBox connects to other users? I'm almost entirely uneducated in computer networking.

SDL is an integral component of DOSBox and many other applications. The current reliance of DOSBox on SDL 1.x carries numerous limitations, but porting it to SDL 2.x is not a simple matter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_DirectMedia_Layer

Reply 5 of 6, by AlphaPapa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thefarstrider,
Hope you are still around. For the IPX tunneling/Emulation to work over the internet at least the host will need to port forward(to your internal 192.x.x.x) on your Router. The clients then will be able to use that external IPv4 address you found.
EDIT: I see port forwarded your "firewall" did you mean router? or just a software firewall like windows firewall?

Reply 6 of 6, by thefarstrider

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlphaPapa wrote:

thefarstrider,
Hope you are still around. For the IPX tunneling/Emulation to work over the internet at least the host will need to port forward(to your internal 192.x.x.x) on your Router. The clients then will be able to use that external IPv4 address you found.
EDIT: I see port forwarded your "firewall" did you mean router? or just a software firewall like windows firewall?

Hi AphaPapa,

Thanks for the correction; you nailed it, that's exactly what I meant. I logged into my router and followed the instructions here:
http://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/por … 3801hgv-router/
Then I tried hosting from the machine I forwarded the ports to, but no luck. I also used a port scan website, and it told me those ports were still closed.