Common searches

List the PC games that you have beaten

Topic actions

Reply 500 of 772, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:

Just finished Legend of Grimrock I. Stats: took me 24 days and 20 hrs of gameplay. The end battle was actually really good, very challenging and stressful though. I played on Easy, and it was just right for me. The boss is unlike any other I've faced. Quite unique. 😀 If you're curious, YouTube it. Needless to say, there were appropriate levels of tension and terror. Reminded me a little of a creepy FPS boss.
No screenshots this time, I wasn't prepared with my camera and wasn't sure how to screenshot a fullscreen Win32 game without something like Fraps running in the background (which I don't have on this machine).

I might see if can restart on Easy. I was really digging it up until about the third level with all the knights, they kept surrounding me and stabbing me to death, I wasn't able to click fast enough. It might be better a little more turn based.

Reply 501 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ynari wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

Just finished Legend of Grimrock I. Stats: took me 24 days and 20 hrs of gameplay. The end battle was actually really good, very challenging and stressful though. I played on Easy, and it was just right for me. The boss is unlike any other I've faced. Quite unique. 😀 If you're curious, YouTube it. Needless to say, there were appropriate levels of tension and terror. Reminded me a little of a creepy FPS boss.
No screenshots this time, I wasn't prepared with my camera and wasn't sure how to screenshot a fullscreen Win32 game without something like Fraps running in the background (which I don't have on this machine).

I might see if can restart on Easy. I was really digging it up until about the third level with all the knights, they kept surrounding me and stabbing me to death, I wasn't able to click fast enough. It might be better a little more turn based.

That was my biggest complaint. I much prefer turn-based combat than speed-clicking. Felt more like an action FPS than RPG.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 503 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ynari wrote:

Crap, I was hoping I was missing something and playing it badly 🙁. Easy restart it is.

As an aside, it looks amazing on a 3D monitor 😀

Do you have Grimrock II? I haven't played it yet, other than to check out the beginning of the game, and the beaches you start on look incredible. I bet it looks even more amazing on your 3D monitor 😀

Reply 504 of 772, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I do have Grimrock II, but haven't started it because of Grimrock 1! It's not the highest res 3D monitor (1280x1024, but half vertical res when running in 3D because it's passive), but still good.

Reply 505 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just finished Baldur's Gate I (including Tales of the Sword Coast expansion). Roughly 2 months and I'm guessing maybe 70 hrs of gameplay? So I probably averaged a little more than 1 hr per day of gameplay. One of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing!

Here's a couple of ending credit screenshots:

2017-05-07 13_17_25-Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - v2.3.67.3.png
Filename
2017-05-07 13_17_25-Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - v2.3.67.3.png
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2017-05-07 13_13_16-Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - v2.3.67.3.png
Filename
2017-05-07 13_13_16-Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition - v2.3.67.3.png
File size
377.99 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 506 of 772, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Just finished Baldur's Gate I (including Tales of the Sword Coast expansion). Roughly 2 months and I'm guessing maybe 70 hrs of gameplay? So I probably averaged a little more than 1 hr per day of gameplay. One of the best games I've had the pleasure of playing!

wouldn't You sometimes like this to be modded so a mage or priest/shaman could solo this? and i don' t mean by talking and taking always the "soft" way out?

Reply 507 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrau wrote:
clueless1 wrote:

wouldn't You sometimes like this to be modded so a mage or priest/shaman could solo this? and i don' t mean by talking and taking always the "soft" way out?

Sounds like you've played through BG multiple times? This is my first playthrough, and probably last. I will play BG2, though.

Reply 508 of 772, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:

Sounds like you've played through BG multiple times? This is my first playthrough, and probably last. I will play BG2, though.

yes, quite a few, but i'm really a fan of part 2 with throne expansion; the entire thing got better there, because you don't start at level 1 anymore, but still, mages and the whole rest are not treated equally to pure melee classes(although they can really kick some butt at high level);
play bg2 at least for the music - i listen to it till this day;
create a small team in multiplayer more to test out multiple classes at once;

Reply 509 of 772, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have just finished Torment: Tides of Numenera. Good game but not great by any stretch of imagination. The mid-finale parts seem rushed and it needs a bit of polishing.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 510 of 772, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Metal Gear Solid. The PC version isn't half bad.

Still need to beat Thief. Those damn undead levels...

2xP2 450, 512 MB SDR, GeForce DDR, Asus P2B-D, Windows 2000
P3 866, 512 MB RDRAM, Radeon X1650, Dell Dimension XPS B866, Windows 7
M2 @ 250 MHz, 64 MB SDE, SiS5598, Compaq Presario 2286, Windows 98

Reply 511 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not very good at adventure games. I used a walkthrough for a lot (most?) of this game, but I still enjoyed the story. Pretty awesome endgame sequence, from the point you get into the witches castle til you beat the game. Music has some nice tension and excitement and the story is frantic and fast-pasted. Satisfying ending.

eric_unready.jpg
Filename
eric_unready.jpg
File size
2.57 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 512 of 772, by Tiger433

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gothic 2 The Returning 1.3.1 version, it was too long near ending but very good and was very hard sometimes.

W7 "retro" PC: ASUS P8H77-V, Intel i3 3240, 8 GB DDR3 1333, HD6850, 2 x 500 GB HDD
Retro 98SE PC: MSI MS-6511, AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 512 MB RAM, ATI Rage 128, 80GB HDD
My Youtube channel

Reply 513 of 772, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I beat Thief. I really liked it, but the undead and (less so) the Trickster stuff was annoying. I hear Thief 2 is a lot better about that though.

On my "Looking Glass and successors" preference chart out of the ones I've played, I'd have to say: Deus Ex > Dishonored > Thief > SS2. (Not counting sequels, games I haven't played, games less directly related than the LG/Arkane/Ion Storm games, etc.)

Reply 514 of 772, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
Going on the assumption that the games you have beaten must at least be worth playing, I decided it would be a good idea to see […]
Show full quote

Going on the assumption that the games you have beaten must at least be worth playing, I decided it would be a good idea to see who has beaten what game. Below is my list. Looking at it it seems pretty small, I know that there are a couple more games I have played but I can't remember if I actually BEAT them or not....so I decided not to list them until I replay 'em.
Prince of Persia The Sands of Time (XBOX)
Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition
Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
Warcraft 2 Tides of Darkness
Warcraft 2 Beyond The Dark Portal
Wolfenstein 3D

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I played so many and probably beat them and have forgotten. But just looking at your list it jogged a few memories.

Here are I some I recommend based on your list:
You should try and beat Prince of Persia 1 and 2 - PC version or Amiga version.
Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2 - VGA
Mean Streets - Text Murphy based
Crime Wave - same company as above if you dig their digitized graphics and sound from the PC internal speaker
Dune 2: The Building of a Dynasty - Skip Dune 1!
Warcraft 1 Orcs and Humans - how could you miss this? Descendant of Dune 2 in many ways.
Wolfenstein 3D - I had an Alpha version. Once you shoot your gun all the Nazis come to you from the entire map. It wasn't pretty.

As for one on top of my head that I did beat and found some slight enjoyment since it was Roberta William's most expensive gaming endeavor. Try Phantasmagoria as it required a powerful computer at the time to play which I did not have then. Although the game itself wasn't that good it had a lot of firsts in the PC gaming industry and probably paved the way to what we see today.

Just thinking of another that really was immersive back in the day and probably most people today couldn't stomach the ancient graphics. Starflight 1 from Electronic Arts / Binary Systems. Now that's a pure classic. If you beat that without cheats or a clue book then you are truly an honorary DOS game player. 😀

Had to have dual 360KB floppy drives since the game was so expansive.

Last edited by 95DosBox on 2017-06-12, 04:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 515 of 772, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Prey (2017) about 29 hours on hard difficulty.

Pretty good game. Played with 1.03 patch. No CTD's. If you like Thief,Bioshock,SS, etc you should play this one.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 516 of 772, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
95DosBox wrote:
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I played so many and probably beat them and have forgotten. But just looking at your list it jogged […]
Show full quote

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I played so many and probably beat them and have forgotten. But just looking at your list it jogged a few memories.

Here are I some I recommend based on your list:
You should try and beat Prince of Persia 1 and 2 - PC version or Amiga version.
Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2 - VGA
Mean Streets - Text Murphy based
Crime Wave - same company as above if you dig their digitized graphics and sound from the PC internal speaker
Warcraft 1 Orcs and Humans - how could you miss this? Predecessor to Dune 2 in many ways.
Dune 2: The Building of a Dynasty - Skip Dune 1!
Wolfenstein 3D - I had an Alpha version. Once you shoot your gun all the Nazis come to you from the entire map. It wasn't pretty.

As for one on top of my head that I did beat and found some slight enjoyment since it was Roberta William's most expensive gaming endeavor. Try Phantasmagoria as it required a powerful computer at the time to play which I did not have then. Although the game itself wasn't that good it had a lot of firsts in the PC gaming industry and probably paved the way to what we see today.

Just thinking of another that really was immersive back in the day and probably most people today couldn't stomach the ancient graphics. Starflight 1 from Electronic Arts / Binary Systems. Now that's a pure classic. If you beat that without cheats or a clue book then you are truly an honorary DOS game player. 😀

Had to have dual 360KB floppy drives since the game was so expansive.

Dune 2 was released in 1992. Warcraft 1 was released in 1994. Dune 2 was the daddy.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 517 of 772, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Dune 2 was released in 1992. Warcraft 1 was released in 1994. Dune 2 was the daddy.

Yes I worded it wrong. The real daddy was actually Dune 1 but without it I doubt there would have been a Dune 2 The Building Of A Dynasty. It looks like the Dune 1 PC version was a dim light compared to the Dune 1 Mega CD version which seems to be more similar to the Dune 2 PC version. It even had voice narration. To bad they didn't do a proper transfer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDHA7TIidUI

I know Dune 2 was copied by Warcraft 1 which was one of the first things I noticed about its style which led to Warcraft's 2 bigger success with Tides of Darkness, Beyond the Dark Portal, then the Battle.NET version after Kali. Took awhile before I started Starcraft and Broodwar. I didn't like Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos. Unfortunately Dune 2000 was a huge disappointment for me as well. It could have been the game or the system requirements at the time. I still got Starcraft 2 and all the expansions still sealed. Just no time to play yet. Dune 2 was very addictive as many nights up playing the turret cheat tactic. But WC1 was fun with LAN 1 on 1 which Dune 2 lacked. But overall Dune 2 vs WC1 computer opponent Dune 2 is still a bit more exciting and the MIDI music was better. WC2 changed it all especially with Kali and then B.NET playing real people on GOW. 😎

Reply 518 of 772, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Defeated Lord Xeen, so I've finished the Clouds of Xeen portion. Now, I need to decide if I want to tackle the Darkside or move on to a different game.

I love that games used to tell you to send your endgame score to the game developer.

cloudsofxeen.jpg
Filename
cloudsofxeen.jpg
File size
2.43 MiB
Views
File license

Not shown, but when I hit "any key" per the instructions in the screenshot above, it showed New World Computing's mailing address. 😉

Reply 519 of 772, by calvin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dishonored 2. Excellent level design and worldbuilding, personally topping the first game. Will love to do some replays someday - maybe it'll even top Deus Ex for me personally in the "replay yearly" department.

Oh, and it ran fine on my potato with a Core 2 Duo.