VOGONS

Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 689, by Azrael

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
A-L-E-X wrote:

Well at least you know it is stable under Auto/4-way for 2x2 GB dual channel memory.

Is it possible the problem is the type of memory you are using? Is it DDR2-667 CAS Latency of 5?

I left mine on Auto and for some reason CPU-Z is showing it going at a speed of 192 MHz with a CAS Latency of 3.

I use currently ddr2 CL4 533 667 (CL4) 800 compliant QPi and another version of RAM gsKILL 533 667 (CL4) 800 both at 533MHZ cl4 all timings are configured on AUTO.

It's not only my problem it's a general problem I discussed in other forum with other users, which own 4coredual-sata2

Last edited by Azrael on 2017-04-16, 09:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 121 of 689, by A-L-E-X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have another question. I use a Cyberpower UPS- the model number is 1000AVR. Its battery has died, which means I can't use it to power my computer during black outs anymore. But can I still use it to filter the voltage and control sags and surges? This area has a sag problem (the lights dim frequently, especially when it's windy or storming.) I have a power supply with active PFC and that also is said to control sags and surges and filter the voltage (.99) without a battery so if the PSU doesn't need a battery to do that, my UPS wouldn't either? (it's a line-interactive conditioning type.) I'd get a new battery but I'm having a tough time finding the right one and don't know how to attach it to the UPS.

Besides no backup battery power, the UPS is working fine, I get full readouts on my power usage on the LCD as well as the program I installed that came with it on my computer.

Reply 122 of 689, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just finished a system with the 4 Core Dual SATA2.
It is running great, although the memory bandwidth is a bit disappointing...
I renewed the heatsink compound on the cpu and the northbridge and it is really quiet and cool despite the (big P4) Intel Boxed cooler!

Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHt
2GB GEIL DDR2 @ 667MHz / 4-5-5 ... 2T
ASRock 4Core Dual SATA2 Rev 2.00
HIS Radeon 3850 512MB AGP
500W Cooler Master PSU
Cooler Master ATC220 "Mad Max" 🤣

Reply 123 of 689, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently acquired a 939Dual-SATA2 board with the AM2CPU expansion card. Not much information out on the internet on that board, but it's very interesting. I've ordered a few AM2 CPUs I will be testing (including the Black Edition 5400+ (Brisbane) and 6400+ (Windsor F3). For this purpose I'll be starting a new thread.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 124 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Arctic wrote:
I just finished a system with the 4 Core Dual SATA2. It is running great, although the memory bandwidth is a bit disappointing.. […]
Show full quote

Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHt
500W Cooler Master PSU

BIOS => Advanced => Advanced Host Config. => Pipeline DRQCTL => [Enabled]
Source : LINK
Check memory bandwidth and report back.

Nice system 😀

157143230295.png

Reply 125 of 689, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
BIOS => Advanced => Advanced Host Config. => Pipeline DRQCTL => [Enabled] Source : LINK Check memory bandwidth and report back. […]
Show full quote
Arctic wrote:
I just finished a system with the 4 Core Dual SATA2. It is running great, although the memory bandwidth is a bit disappointing.. […]
Show full quote

Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHt
500W Cooler Master PSU

Nice system 😀

Thank you! I will post pictures as soon as the fans have arrived 😁

I tried your fix but the values stayed the same 😢 :

write:
before (CL4): 5277 MB/s
after (CL4): 5275 MB/s
667/DC/CL3: 5411MB/s

The next thing I will try is using better overclocking RAM.
Maybe I can get them to run in CL3 🤣

edit: the memory now works @ DDR-II 667 CL3 3-3-3,13-2T
edit2: 3DMark crashed... I will try CL4 4-4-4, 12-2T

Reply 126 of 689, by A-L-E-X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
BIOS => Advanced => Advanced Host Config. => Pipeline DRQCTL => [Enabled] Source : LINK Check memory bandwidth and report back. […]
Show full quote
Arctic wrote:
Show full quote

Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHt
500W Cooler Master PSU

Nice system 😀

I think my CMOS battery is running out. It's weird but when I keep my UPS turned off the time doesn't save but if I keep the UPS on the time saves fine. The really weird thing is if I keep the UPS on for a few days (with the computer off) and then turn the UPS off for a few days and then turn it back on, the time still stays saved. Should I replace my CMOS battery and besides the inconvenience of having to set the time (which I can set a script to do every time my computer starts), is there any reason to replace the CMOS battery? Will the BIOS settings revert back to default or will the computer not boot up if the CMOS battery completely dies? I've not seen any side effects besides the occasional time issue (which doesn't seen to be happening anymore) so I'm thinking of not replacing the battery just yet.

Reply 127 of 689, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

I recently acquired a 939Dual-SATA2 board with the AM2CPU expansion card. Not much information out on the internet on that board, but it's very interesting. I've ordered a few AM2 CPUs I will be testing (including the Black Edition 5400+ (Brisbane) and 6400+ (Windsor F3). For this purpose I'll be starting a new thread.

I hate you 😈 ; seriously, I really like this motherboard but I can't find one that works properly: the first was a gift and doen't even boot, the second one I bought as working, and it really work but only with an AGP card, if you use a PCIe one the machine boots but no image and the third one come in a lot of different pieces and gets stuck during booting. As for the AM2CPU, to me it's pure unobtanium (at least at a reasonable price) so for now I use the second best thing... a 4Core Dual Sata 🤣

Reply 128 of 689, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shiva2004 wrote:
vetz wrote:

I hate you 😈 ; seriously, I really like this motherboard but I can't find one that works properly: the first was a gift and doen't even boot, the second one I bought as working, and it really work but only with an AGP card, if you use a PCIe one the machine boots but no image and the third one come in a lot of different pieces and gets stuck during booting. As for the AM2CPU, to me it's pure unobtanium (at least at a reasonable price) so for now I use the second best thing... a 4Core Dual Sata 🤣

Had to recap most of my board to get it to even boot, the caps had blown. Haven't done much testing with it, so I really hope its stable under load. Regarding the AM2CPU, you can still buy it new on Amazon UK. https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessor … keywords=am2cpu

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 130 of 689, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are there any advantages to using the Via PT800 in the Asrock 775Dual's over an i865G with LGA775? Seems the price on these Asrock 775Dual's are quite high at the moment.

Reply 131 of 689, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Possibly improved compatibility for PCI sound cards in DOS, although I don't have hard evidence.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 132 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Moved from GTX 570 to HD 6970 and it works, no problem.
So, the best video solutions for ASRock 4COreDual SATA2 are:
AMD - HD 6970 2 GB
nVidia - GTX 580 3 GB

Snap3.jpg
Filename
Snap3.jpg
File size
144.39 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Snap7.jpg
Filename
Snap7.jpg
File size
142.84 KiB
Views
File license
Snap5.jpg
Filename
Snap5.jpg
File size
123.57 KiB
Views
File license
Snap6.jpg
Filename
Snap6.jpg
File size
86.44 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by exxocet on 2017-04-23, 13:00. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 133 of 689, by Arctic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
exxocet wrote:
Moved from GTX 570 to HD 6970 and it works, no problem. So, the best video solutions for ASRock 4COreDual SATA2 are: AMD - HD 69 […]
Show full quote

AMD - HD 6970 2 GB
nVidia - GTX 580 3 GB

Wouldn't a GTX 560 already be severely bottlenecked on this board?

Reply 134 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Arctic wrote:
exxocet wrote:
Moved from GTX 570 to HD 6970 and it works, no problem. So, the best video solutions for ASRock 4COreDual SATA2 are: AMD - HD 69 […]
Show full quote

AMD - HD 6970 2 GB
nVidia - GTX 580 3 GB

Bandwidth definitely will be bottlenecked, but it still helps with GPU postprocessing on graphical details (anti-aliasing, anisotropic etc)

Reply 135 of 689, by A-L-E-X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
exxocet wrote:
Arctic wrote:
exxocet wrote:
Show full quote

AMD - HD 6970 2 GB
nVidia - GTX 580 3 GB

Bandwidth definitely will be bottlenecked, but it still helps with GPU postprocessing on graphical details (anti-aliasing, anisotropic etc)

Excellent! Is the GTX 580 faster than the HD 6970 or are they about the same?

And do you have Rev 1 of the board or Rev 2? (Rev 1 has 8 channel surround sound built into the board.)

I might need that extra video memory for this

http://forum.spaceengine.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&p=6640#p6640

Also, if one isn't using AA and AF what is the fastest video card to use with the Q6600 quad core CPU before bottlenecking hits?

I know that's a theoretical question but there should be a way of measuring it.

Isn't AGP 8X = PCI-e 1.0 4x?

Reply 136 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
A-L-E-X wrote:
Excellent! Is the GTX 580 faster than the HD 6970 or are they about the same? […]
Show full quote

And do you have Rev 1 of the board or Rev 2? (Rev 1 has 8 channel surround sound built into the board.)

Also, if one isn't using AA and AF what is the fastest video card to use with the Q6600 quad core CPU before bottlenecking hits?

Actually, as far as i remember, AGP 8x is double speed on 2 GB bandwidth, while PCI-E 1.x @4x is just 1 GB, but in real world 4core Dual SATA2, both seems to sport similar bandwidth. Maybe a little bit faster on PCI-E, considering the MOSFET transistor that feeds AGP run voltage also has to power the PT880 Ultra Northbridge chip.
I have an GTX 570, I don't have a 580 on my hands right now, but it's obviously that GTX 580 3GB it's the apex of graphic on this mobo. I've run 3Dmark11 on both cards and HD 6970 is slightly faster than GTX 570 in graphics, but will loose points in Physx/CUDA capabilities.

HD 6970 on 3Dmark Vantage(Performance preset)

Snap6.jpg
Filename
Snap6.jpg
File size
211.1 KiB
Views
File license

The results are pretty similar with agent_x007 benchmark on HD 5870 (first page), marginally differences due to different OS/RAM. While his benchmark on HD 5770 sports lower figures, my 6970 is not an improvement over his HD 5870 on this board, being severely bottlenecked. So, it's crystal clear: PCI-E @4x bottleneck somewhere between HD 5770 and 5870, probably near HD 5850 performances. Anything above that is overkill.

Reply 137 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@exxocet I think it might be a CPU bottleneck actually...
Can you run a Vantage X-Score and compare to my 5870 ?
Here's free Advanced key : 3DMVA-S1R5T-HXXPD-PWFPT-LF3HV-TQ5AZ-K5T5J-W1UEC
(available on futuremark legacy website)

I need to check my 5870 and GTX 580 with OC'ed QX9770 on Windows 7/10 x64.

157143230295.png

Reply 138 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[@agent_x007,
I can't run Xtrme as it requires 1920x1080 monitor, my display runs on 1680x1050.

Anyway, I've modified a bit the FSB and RAM settings to mirror yours (my prev test was done on 266 FSB and 333Mhz/CL5 RAM) and run P-score again. The results are even worse.

Thing is mobo is heavily modified, instead of running better it might have gone the other way, but I'd rather blame it on the OS.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Filename
    Image1.jpg
    File size
    330.69 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 139 of 689, by A-L-E-X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
exxocet wrote:
Actually, as far as i remember, AGP 8x is double speed on 2 GB bandwidth, while PCI-E 1.x @4x is just 1 GB, but in real world 4c […]
Show full quote
A-L-E-X wrote:
Excellent! Is the GTX 580 faster than the HD 6970 or are they about the same? […]
Show full quote

Actually, as far as i remember, AGP 8x is double speed on 2 GB bandwidth, while PCI-E 1.x @4x is just 1 GB, but in real world 4core Dual SATA2, both seems to sport similar bandwidth. Maybe a little bit faster on PCI-E, considering the MOSFET transistor that feeds AGP run voltage also has to power the PT880 Ultra Northbridge chip.
I have an GTX 570, I don't have a 580 on my hands right now, but it's obviously that GTX 580 3GB it's the apex of graphic on this mobo. I've run 3Dmark11 on both cards and HD 6970 is slightly faster than GTX 570 in graphics, but will loose points in Physx/CUDA capabilities.

HD 6970 on 3Dmark Vantage(Performance preset)

Snap6.jpg

The results are pretty similar with agent_x007 benchmark on HD 5870 (first page), marginally differences due to different OS/RAM. While his benchmark on HD 5770 sports lower figures, my 6970 is not an improvement over his HD 5870 on this board, being severely bottlenecked. So, it's crystal clear: PCI-E @4x bottleneck somewhere between HD 5770 and 5870, probably near HD 5850 performances. Anything above that is overkill.

Thanks! Do you have the first version of the mobo or Rev. 2? I read on Anandtech that HD series 6xxx might not work on the first version of the 4core dual.

The reason I wondered where the bottleneck was is because the two best AGP chips made were the 3850 and 4670, so I figured that the reason why faster AGP chips weren't made is because above those chips, there'd be a bottleneck.