VOGONS

Reply 20 of 24, by Avenger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:
BUT AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE ERROR MESSAGE THE GAME *ALSO* NEEDS THE CD! So for the xth time, use the mountings you used for inst […]
Show full quote

BUT AS YOU CAN SEE FROM THE ERROR MESSAGE THE GAME *ALSO* NEEDS THE CD!
So for the xth time, use the mountings you used for installing the game. The ones in the picture. The ones that you confirmed that you could install the game AND run it.
So *these* mountings for both c and d AND then run it from c.
(See below but use the correct paths)

mount c c:/prog.../games
imgmount d c:/.../terminator.img -t iso
C:
Cd fshock
shock.exe

Do this.

Thank you.

I had no idea that both the original image and the install files had to be mounted. Like I said, previously all I ever had to mount were just the game files.

I will give that a try and report back.

Reply 22 of 24, by Mr_ppp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Avenger wrote:

It worked. Both games will now boot without issue.

Future Shock is even available in high-res svga through Skynet now.

Thank you for your tremendous help and continued patience.

Nicely done, a lot of dos games bitd relied on the cd either for space reasons (hard drive's weren't as big back then and not all files from cd were copied over hence needing cd still) or copy protection to stop people lending a game to a mate to install and then giving the cd back.

Reply 23 of 24, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I believe this one was one of those Bethesda games that simply didn't copy the entire contents of the CD to the hard drive. I think it was possible to do so manually, if you messed with the path to the CD in one of the settings files.

Also note that it's not really necessary to use short paths with Dosbox, as it supports quoted long paths for host directory and image paths.

Reply 24 of 24, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is the open doors speed bug in Skynet still an issue? I know you had to lower the cpu cycles down in DOSBox before opening doors in and out of buildings or Skynet would crash if the cycles were too high or a PC was too fast. Future Shock did not have this issue.