VOGONS

dgVoodoo with Final Fantasy XI

Topic actions

First post, by Smp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a new laptop. A DELL XPS 15 9560 with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 with 4GB GDDR5 running Windows 10.

The game in question is Final Fantasy XI (FFXI) which is an online game.

The video card driver will not render the game on the dedicated NVIDIA GPU because its using DirectX 8.

This is by design according to NVIDIA:
"Games based on DirectX 8 and older versions of DirectX will only run on integrated graphics in an Optimus laptop under Windows 10
This is expected behavior.  Most Optimus notebooks use MS Hybrid under Windows 10 which under DirectX 8 and older DirectX APIs will only run on the integrated graphics."

Using dgVoodoo 2.53 solves this problem. I am able to get the game working on the dedicated GPU at 4K resolution @30 fps (which is the game fps limit) by using a global dgVoodoo config and placing the dgVoodoo dll files in the following locations:
..\SquareEnix\PlayOnlineViewer\ (excluding DDraw.dll as PlayOnline can't handle the upgrade)
..\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\

The problem is the game is unstable. After logging into your character... if you move straight away without waiting a minute it will crash either straight away or soon after for about 2 times in a row. Once you get past this awaked part it will run fairly stable for a long time; even for hours but at anytime it may still randomly crash.

I have tried using your latest version today dgVoodoo 2.54; however the textures on the models aren't loading (they are transparent; so cannot see oneself or other players etc.). But the map textures are fine. The game also appears to be totally stable; it doesn't crash upon moving imminently etc. So either the stability issues in 2.53 is related to loading of model textures or you fixed the issue in 2.54.

For now I have reverted back to using 2.53; and considering just using integrated graphics just for stability for the time being (but its horrid; <1080p and low fps). I was really hoping your new version would make the game more stable.

So anyways it would be nice if you consider looking into extending compatibility of dgVoodoo to this game so the textures on the models load again and to get the game to run more stable. I know many people who play FFXI on laptops would also really appreciate this also.

Thank you!

Reply 1 of 43, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not going to comment on how this game runs on dgVoodoo2, but have you considered that your problem with Optimus might be solved by others means like:

WineD3D: https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag
ENBSeries DX8 to DX9 convertor: http://enbdev.com/convertor_dx8_dx9_v0036.htm

Just in case you haven't thought about it.

Reply 2 of 43, by Smp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote:
Not going to comment on how this game runs on dgVoodoo2, but have you considered that your problem with Optimus might be solved […]
Show full quote

Not going to comment on how this game runs on dgVoodoo2, but have you considered that your problem with Optimus might be solved by others means like:

WineD3D: https://fdossena.com/?p=wined3d/index.frag
ENBSeries DX8 to DX9 convertor: http://enbdev.com/convertor_dx8_dx9_v0036.htm

Just in case you haven't thought about it.

Thank you for the suggestion. However; they are non-functional with this game.

WineD3D always crashes on the character selection screen.
ENBSeries crashes upon initialization.

Reply 3 of 43, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a demo for this game, somewhere?

Also, is it possible that FFXI uses the same engine as Phantasy Star Online (Blue Burst)? Because that game handles managed textures in a weird way that can really (but not necessary) result in crash.
In 2.54 I made it all compatible with MS D3D8 but something is maybe not perfect yet.

Reply 4 of 43, by daniel_u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote:

Also, is it possible that FFXI uses the same engine as Phantasy Star Online (Blue Burst)? Because that game handles managed textures in a weird way that can really (but not necessary) result in crash.
In 2.54 I made it all compatible with MS D3D8 but something is maybe not perfect yet.

Taken from tech demos thread

Re: Tech demos - general discussion

Postby daniel_u » 2017-3-21 @ 12:57
Here's another DX 8.1 demo:

http://gamesystemrequirements.com/game/final-fantasy-xi

Download:
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/final-fa … hmark-2-v1.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/final-fa … xi-benchmark-3/

Did not tried it yet because i'm not at home PC. Might help you nail some other bugs.

Update

it seems that the demo does not start at all, to begin with. I have windows 7 64 bit. Dual monitors. Not sure what the cause is.
Too bad looked interesting on you tube.

Reply 5 of 43, by Smp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Hello Dege,

Thank you for being interested in looking into this for us (the FFXI community).

There is no free demo available; however I can set you up with temporary access on my wife and child's game account. The alternative being I gift you a copy of the game on Steam version and you use the free 30-day subscription.

But the former is better because the account has easy access to all areas of the game; so I can leave the character in areas where it crashes the most (e.g. Mhaura, Western Adoulin, Upper Jeuno).

The game can be downloaded to install at:
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/med … nstall_win.html (5.6GB)

Once downloaded and installed you need an account to login to install the game updates which may take about 6-18 hours to install before you are able to enter the game.

If you like to reach out to me via PM; we can exchange Skype information etc. Then I can walk you through the installation, configuration and set you up with an account.

Concerning similarities with Phantasy Star Online; I'm sorry... I have no idea haven't never played it.

Thank you

Reply 6 of 43, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, thanks for offering your help!
The process sounds a little complicated though. 😀

Then plz let's go back to this game later because I have some other pending tasks to complete, unfortunately I don't have any time these days...

Reply 8 of 43, by Smp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:

Ah, thanks for offering your help!
The process sounds a little complicated though. 😀

It's only complicated if creating your own account to use.

Dege wrote:

Then plz let's go back to this game later because I have some other pending tasks to complete, unfortunately I don't have any time these days...

Sure, no problem... I can relate. Thank you.

Reply 9 of 43, by masinmanci

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have the same stability issues with 2.53. In attempt to alleviate it, I updated to 2.54. This resulted in the inability to render character models. I've tried tons of different option combinations in the dgvoodoocpl, but they all result in the character models failing to be rendered.

On the plus side, it's been rock solid. Not a single crash during all of my testing with 2.54, so there's that, haha.

Reply 10 of 43, by Smp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
masinmanci wrote:

I have the same stability issues with 2.53. In attempt to alleviate it, I updated to 2.54. This resulted in the inability to render character models. I've tried tons of different option combinations in the dgvoodoocpl, but they all result in the character models failing to be rendered.

On the plus side, it's been rock solid. Not a single crash during all of my testing with 2.54, so there's that, haha.

I recently found this which was released last month written by atom0s (same developer who wrote Ashita 3):

[RELEASE] Direct3D8 to Direct3D9 Proxy v1.0.0.2
Final Fantasy XI in Direct3D9!

It's working very well. I have been using it just over a week and it hasn't crashed once.

But I would rather use dgVoodoo again once its stable for the additional benefits:
* Ability to upgrade the graphic effects
* Not crash when entering secure desktop
* Not crash when pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del
* Not crashing when closing and re-opening the lid of laptop

Reply 11 of 43, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I wanted to quickly try the free account for this game but the account distribution is temporarily disabled because of the high interest.
But, I'll follow and peek the current state. 😀

Anyway, the game very seems to be based on the same engine as Phantasy Star Online which explains the crashes with 2.53.

Reply 12 of 43, by palladin9479

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a million for taking interest in this game. There is a huge community surrounding it and we primary use an application called Windower to get around FFXI's dated graphics engine. It would crash with 2.53 but 2.54 is stable just no character models rendering. Something that might be good to know is that FFXI was originally a PS2 MMO that was ported to PC and later XBox 360 so it very well might share a lot of code with PSO but they were done by two different development teams. If you need anything let us know.

Reply 13 of 43, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the explanation, Palladin9479.

I have a question: I have a SquareEnix account and would like to register to PlayOnline.
PlayOnline is expecting a registration code, so I try 'Start PlayOnline Registration" in the PlayOnline Viewer client app (to presumably get the free trial registration code).

However, after a while I always get the error message:

"You will need a Square Enix account to perform PlayOnline procedures."

What should I do? Do I need to log in to Square Enix from the client somehow?

Reply 14 of 43, by palladin9479

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You need to "buy" a copy of FFXI through their online store.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/4429 … ial-pc-download

The cost is 0$ so you won't actually spend money, but it's how they generate you a valid POL registration key which is what gets linked to your POL account.

For FFXI you have two accounts due to how they used to run the game. First is the SquareEnix account which is "new", but then you got the old POL Account ID which is part of the ancient PlayOnline services. When you register your game is when you will get your POL ID that gets used to identify you to the server. You then link your POL ID to your Square Enix account.

3. Registering the free trial registration code. After you have successfully created a Square Enix Account, log into the Squa […]
Show full quote

3. Registering the free trial registration code.
After you have successfully created a Square Enix Account, log into the Square Enix Account Management and begin registering your free trial. Please access the following page using your internet browser: http://www.square-enix.com/na/account/
a. Once logged in, click on “Select Service” under “Services and Options” and then choose “PlayOnline / FINAL FANTASY XI.”
b. Click on the “Add new PlayOnline service account” and follow the instructions on screen.
c. When prompted to enter your PlayOnline registration code, please enter the 20 digit registration code provided in your free trial download email. Follow the instruction on screen to log into the client and start playing.

Reply 15 of 43, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks!

Finally I successfully did all the needed registration/purchase, etc.
After that, it took ages while FFXI updated itself to the latest version but I'm now able to reproduce the missing-characters bug.
I already found its reason, I hope I can come up with a fix for that.

(2.53 didn't crash for me, but I obviously did a only quick try with that.)

Reply 16 of 43, by palladin9479

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote:
Thanks! […]
Show full quote

Thanks!

Finally I successfully did all the needed registration/purchase, etc.
After that, it took ages while FFXI updated itself to the latest version but I'm now able to reproduce the missing-characters bug.
I already found its reason, I hope I can come up with a fix for that.

(2.53 didn't crash for me, but I obviously did a only quick try with that.)

Yeah the crash issue from 2.53 only happened when there was a lot of stuff on the screen, so in busy places with a lot of models. Might be a resource limit or some overflow somewhere. I could log in and run around in a quiet place, the moment I went into a place with multiple models *BAM* crash.

Reply 17 of 43, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, I fixed the issue. Tomorrow I'm going to release a new WIP just because of FFXI.

Since I'm not sure why 2.53 crashes, and just to make sure the new version doesn't crash, I give this game high priority.
It'd be nice to have any bug fixed before my free FFXI access expires. 😁

ps: I must admit, the game looks fantastic in high resolution.

Reply 18 of 43, by palladin9479

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We've been using supersampling as a form of ghetto high resolution, then some mods are done to enhance the icons and font.

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/pall … zpszod36git.png

http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/pall … zpsjqwqfkbe.png

The primary third party application is Windower and it worked with 2.54, just the no texture problem. Virtually everyone who plays this game use's Windower because it fixes so many of the developers short sighted development decisions.

If there's any testing you need let me know, I know a ton of people who want to really make this game look fantastic.