Topic actions

Reply 17040 of 52626, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Everyone else has more GUS than me..

It would be more accurate to say that Batyra has more GUS than anyone else in the world. I only happen to have one because I was into writing MODs back in the day but I had an AWE32. I swapped it for a GUS Classic with a mate. I definitely got the best end of that deal.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 17041 of 52626, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Batyra has more GUS than anyone else in the world.

hahaha... thanks... I just have crush on GUS cards...
tenor.gif

But I think thats there ALLWAYS someone there that got more 😀

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 17042 of 52626, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brassicGamer wrote:

It would be more accurate to say that Batyra has more GUS than anyone else in the world.

I would doubt this statement a little bit... 😉

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 17043 of 52626, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

...ALLWAYS someone there that got more... 😉

but I hope I'm on a good way to join the peleton with my 25+ GUS'es

Reply 17044 of 52626, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, 25+? And how many unique ones (i.e. total without counting spares)?

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 17045 of 52626, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IN ADVANCE... Sorry I clicked report instead of quote... my bad 😉

I have only 3 cards that doubles in my GUS collection (MAX 2.1, Classic 2.2, PnP 1.0).
Total numer includes different revisions so, GUS Classic in revisions I own (2.2, 2.4, 3.7, 3.73) I count as 4...

I have about 14 uniqe cards - if you count for example Primax M16-B and C as two different cards as well as ViperMax and GUS Extreme...

If not count them separately I have (without revision and versions):
- GUS Classic
- GUS MAX
- GUS ACE
- GUS PnP (and PnP Pro)
- GUS Extreme (and Viper Max)
- Kouvell Virtuoso (or it's clone - can't define that)
- Primax Soundstorm (both B and C)
- ExpertColor (Interwave)
- STB (Interwave)
- CoreDynamics (Interwave)
- Philips (Interwave)

hope I didn't miss anything 😉
Still I miss quite many - especially clones.

Reply 17046 of 52626, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Not really, I own exactly zero GUS or GUS related items. My sound card collection is almost exclusively creative products. 😵

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 17048 of 52626, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I won a BFG Technologies FX5900 in rather questionable condition for $9 USD shipped with CD and packaging that would seem to be consistant with the EVGA version of the card list only as "NVIDIA G-Force Graphics Card - For Scrap". The seller says it's untested and there are no obvious severe defects and that it may "very well still work". I figure its worth the risk for a card that's normally in the 30 dollar range before shipping costs.

s-l1600.jpg

The first section of the AGP connector is the only thing that worries me about this card. I'm not sure if it's dirty, corroded, or burnt.
I did get closer pictures from the seller before hand. Didn't help that much but it does tell me the contacts are atleast there as initially I had thought the contacts had actually been completely obliterated.

LJ9PopH.jpg
9xzGdCP.jpg

Has anybody ever seen anything like this before? I think its just discolored but what has caused that discoloration and what effect that cause may have had is a complete mystery.

EDIT: Fuck, I just now saw the SMD's on the far side of the board. I'm really hoping those were just empty solder pads... Anyone got a FX5900 on hand for comparison?....

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17050 of 52626, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anything modern "untested" could very well means tested as dead, sold as is.

How many people still have working AGP machines these days? Not many outside of collectors.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 17051 of 52626, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:
IN ADVANCE... Sorry I clicked report instead of quote... my bad ;) […]
Show full quote

IN ADVANCE... Sorry I clicked report instead of quote... my bad 😉

I have only 3 cards that doubles in my GUS collection (MAX 2.1, Classic 2.2, PnP 1.0).
Total numer includes different revisions so, GUS Classic in revisions I own (2.2, 2.4, 3.7, 3.73) I count as 4...

I have about 14 uniqe cards - if you count for example Primax M16-B and C as two different cards as well as ViperMax and GUS Extreme...

If not count them separately I have (without revision and versions):
- GUS Classic
- GUS MAX
- GUS ACE
- GUS PnP (and PnP Pro)
- GUS Extreme (and Viper Max)
- Kouvell Virtuoso (or it's clone - can't define that)
- Primax Soundstorm (both B and C)
- ExpertColor (Interwave)
- STB (Interwave)
- CoreDynamics (Interwave)
- Philips (Interwave)

hope I didn't miss anything 😉
Still I miss quite many - especially clones.

Wow that is impressive.. Really impressive..

I make do with what I find, my ISA collection is mostly ESS and I have a variety of PCI Creative cards (Live, Audigy and X-Fi)

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17052 of 52626, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This week I sold about £15 worth of kit on eBay. I then saw a 'spare parts' job lot, starting bid of £15 delivered, and bid on it not expecting to get it. Aaaaand I won it as the only bidder 😒 !

1y8oNqa.jpg

Eugh... I can probably cobble together on working PC from this load of junk.... Right? Right guys?

It looks to be a 478 board (or maybe 423 I support, I've never actually seen one?) in the top left;
Reasonably late AGP GPU in the bottom left- any ideas what this is?
Slightly intrigued by the green GPU in the centre- looks a bit like my TNT2 actually..
There is a stick of SDRAM in the centre which suggests one of the boards might be older than S478

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 17053 of 52626, by andrewreader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My first PC to use, which my Dad bought home from work was a Dell Dimension P90.

And I shouldn't have bought any more retro bits, but I couldn't resist this exact unit on eBay. £25 on a best offer accepted.

I never opened the machine, but I (think) I remember it having a 540MB Hard drive, a Hawkeye Number Nine GPU and 16 MB RAM, of which I've picked up the GPU and RAM too.

Reply 17054 of 52626, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

11142617.jpg

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17055 of 52626, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

Unscrew the fan, tear the sticker on the back and then you should be in front to the fan's axis. Add just a little bit of oil or grease to make it work again. Then put back the sticker and re screw it and if you're lucky, the fan should work again

Do this! I put 2 drops of new motor oil in the fan bearing for my PCI ATI Radeon 9100, last summer. Fan still works fine at full speed. No rattle noise anymore either. Dunno how long it'll last but so far almost a year. It definitely works. Or at least extends the life of the fan a while longer.

Reply 17056 of 52626, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
I won a BFG Technologies FX5900 in rather questionable condition for $9 USD shipped with CD and packaging that would seem to be […]
Show full quote

I won a BFG Technologies FX5900 in rather questionable condition for $9 USD shipped with CD and packaging that would seem to be consistant with the EVGA version of the card list only as "NVIDIA G-Force Graphics Card - For Scrap". The seller says it's untested and there are no obvious severe defects and that it may "very well still work". I figure its worth the risk for a card that's normally in the 30 dollar range before shipping costs.

s-l1600.jpg

The first section of the AGP connector is the only thing that worries me about this card. I'm not sure if it's dirty, corroded, or burnt.
I did get closer pictures from the seller before hand. Didn't help that much but it does tell me the contacts are atleast there as initially I had thought the contacts had actually been completely obliterated.

LJ9PopH.jpg
9xzGdCP.jpg

Has anybody ever seen anything like this before? I think its just discolored but what has caused that discoloration and what effect that cause may have had is a complete mystery.

EDIT: Fuck, I just now saw the SMD's on the far side of the board. I'm really hoping those were just empty solder pads... Anyone got a FX5900 on hand for comparison?....

I have FX5800, FX5900, FX5900XT, FX5900ultra and FX5950ultra cards and only the FX5800 cards have empty solder pads (and a different layout). BUT, looking at pictures from google i can find some FX5900 cards that have empty solder pads at the EXACT same location as yours so i guess it's fine.

I think the connector is just corrosion and it will come off. Good chance the card still works as these are imho pretty solid cards unlike the ti4600 cards and 6800ultra's which i do find more often broken.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 17057 of 52626, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:
This week I sold about £15 worth of kit on eBay. I then saw a 'spare parts' job lot, starting bid of £15 delivered, and bid on i […]
Show full quote

This week I sold about £15 worth of kit on eBay. I then saw a 'spare parts' job lot, starting bid of £15 delivered, and bid on it not expecting to get it. Aaaaand I won it as the only bidder 😒 !

Eugh... I can probably cobble together on working PC from this load of junk.... Right? Right guys?

It looks to be a 478 board (or maybe 423 I support, I've never actually seen one?) in the top left;
Slightly intrigued by the green GPU in the centre- looks a bit like my TNT2 actually..
There is a stick of SDRAM in the centre which suggests one of the boards might be older than S478

Bottom left looks to be the inno3d fx5700 agp, but i'm not completely sure.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 17058 of 52626, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An X-Fi Xtreme Music being sold as a generic pro sound card for less than $15..

med_gallery_60983_11505_268134.jpg

Last edited by appiah4 on 2017-05-19, 10:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17059 of 52626, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an SC-55 that's been sitting on the back burner for a while now, in need of a replacement LCD. As Roland can apparently no longer supply these displays, I'd hoped to find a non-functional unit to scavenge from. A few days ago, a suitably homely SC-55 was listed on eBay, described as follows:

"Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas MIDI sound generator (non-working unit). Unit does not power on and is missing a volume knob. Good for repair or parts."

sc55v2_1.jpg

Perfect!

Except not.

sc55v2_2.jpg

It powered-up just fine, cleaned-up beautifully, and is completely functional besides. Dagnabbit! False advertising!