VOGONS

First post, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a 1000 TX that I've been putting off getting working for a while, I would like to get it going this weekend. If I wanted to replace the existing dual 720k floppies with a 1.44mb floppy and a Gotek, would getting an 8 bit floppy and I/O controller along with the 1.44mb drive be enough? I know the Tandy systems use a goofy setup where the power is on the data cable or something, and I just don't feel like dealing with that. So I'm either going to leave the drives completely stock or I'm going to swap out for a more modern arrangement, depending on how much futzing we are talking about. Also, if I want to use an 8 bit VGA card do I need to disable the Tandy video somehow or should it just work?

Reply 1 of 1, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snorg wrote:

I have a 1000 TX that I've been putting off getting working for a while, I would like to get it going this weekend. If I wanted to replace the existing dual 720k floppies with a 1.44mb floppy and a Gotek, would getting an 8 bit floppy and I/O controller along with the 1.44mb drive be enough? I know the Tandy systems use a goofy setup where the power is on the data cable or something, and I just don't feel like dealing with that. So I'm either going to leave the drives completely stock or I'm going to swap out for a more modern arrangement, depending on how much futzing we are talking about. Also, if I want to use an 8 bit VGA card do I need to disable the Tandy video somehow or should it just work?

I think I found everything I need on TVdog's site. Sorry for posting an unnecessary question. I will post a completed build when done.