Other hobbies?

Topic actions

Reply 101 of 215, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Currently toying around with my unused satellite dish, focusing on another satellite to see some FTA (Free to Air) channels.

Ah, the good old days of satellite dish. Are there still many FTA channels nowadays?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 102 of 215, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I started picking it back up recently after laying dormant in it for a couple years because work exhaustion, but my primary hobby is traditional art, with an affinity for drawing or painting, but I also enjoy making stuff out of clay, I just don't have really any atm. List of my fave materials will be shown below, in any order.
--------------------------------------------------------
Tube watercolors and I might pick up gouache.
Chalk and charcoal.
Oil pastels.
Graphite and colored pencils.
Clay for 3D.
Unfortunately I lack a good scanner for the drawings or paintings up to 8.5"x11", and a good point-and-shoot cam for drawings and paintings bigger than 8.5"x11" and for the 3D clay work, although I plan to get both soon. I also need to grab acrylics for adding color to any work done with air-dry clay, and now here's one of my recent drawings, one of my older air-dry clay figures that I just now added color to through pan watercolors, a solution that seems to work well enough, and a pic of my smudged-up self after working with my oil pastels. Unfortunately I'm stuck with a not-so-good webcam atm, might pick up a better webcam in addition.

2017-04-26-023546.jpg
Filename
2017-04-26-023546.jpg
File size
56.06 KiB
Views
File comment
Colored pencil Plusle and Minun holding hands sitting at the pier.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2017-05-07-233614.jpg
Filename
2017-05-07-233614.jpg
File size
86.09 KiB
Views
File comment
Air-dry clay Hamtaro finally got some color added to him.
File license
2017-05-10-033524.jpg
Filename
2017-05-10-033524.jpg
File size
512.96 KiB
Views
File comment
My smudged-up self after working with oil pastels.
File license
Last edited by RetroGamingNovice on 2017-05-16, 10:04. Edited 2 times in total.

PC hardware: Ryzen 5 4500, 32GB RAM, 1TB SN 570 Linux drive, 500GB 970 EVO Plus Windows drive, 2TB 970 EVO Plus games drive, 1TB 870 EVO extra storage drive, RX 6600 GPU, EndeavourOS/Win10 dual-boot

Reply 103 of 215, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aww.. That picture of Minun and Plusle is really cute! Like the shading, too. 😁
Drawing things is fun, I think. I'm still at the rookie level, though - and awfully out of training. 😅
I'll add some of my earlier works for you. They were drawn with a mouse when I was toying with Photoshop Elements/SAI/Zsoft Paintbrush.

My other hobbies used to be reading books, watching the moon and stars with my telescope, drawing, listening to chiptunes, SWL'ing and electronics.
Except for reading (SF stories right now, esp. Perry Rhodan, but also other stories by Frederik Pohl, H.P.Busch, etc.),
listening music and tinkering with electronics a bit, nothing is left, though.

Using the telescope (a cheap reflector) is nolonger possible, because the [url=https://en.wikipa%20edia.org/wiki/Light_pollution]light pollution[/url] in my city became too high.
Ie, I can barely make out the brightest stars now. In summer, the flies and bugs also get confused (poor things!).
Thankfully, the moon is still visible at least. And the ISS flying by sometimes (w/ that event beeing the highest of highs).

Tinkering with electronics is still something I do now an then. Arduino, Pi and fixing 8/16bit consoles, etc. are fun,
but really fascinating are ancient logic circuits. I really love seeing mechanical relays in action! 😀

Listening to short-wave radio again also has to wait for a while. I have no space for a long wire antenna right now,
nor a receiver anymore (had to sell my old ones, Eddystone EC10/FRG-7000, for some reason)..
Maybe I'll build myself a magnetic loop when I somewhen get a new radio again. I'm thinking of a tube model, maybe an 9R59 ?

Anyway, I'm busy right now to not have worries / be stressed (Grandma is in the hospital. again. etc.)
So please everyone don't be upset if my replies are delayed or if my posts are flawed now and then.
I used to be different (spent a lot of time for every response).

Eddystone.png
My old receiver type. Had a nice, mild audio. Used germanium transistors and had a big speaker.
Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Eddystone.png

calutab2.png
Filename
calutab2.png
File size
89.4 KiB
Views
File comment
An earlry try of using Photoshop Elements. Spent more time on the background than on the character..
File license
pukabeach.gif
Filename
pukabeach.gif
File size
7.83 KiB
Views
File comment
Drawn in ZSoft Paintbrush, I believe. Found it on my old HDD. Was named 00.pcx originally.
File license
meold.gif
Filename
meold.gif
File size
66.75 KiB
Views
File comment
Me. A photo of better times. Taken back when ICQ was still a thing.
File license

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 104 of 215, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

56K death!!! I have started back up on my 50cc GY6 (139qmb) project again. I smoothed over some of the edges on the new 44mm (60cc) piston that will be going on the stroker crank for a total of 66.7cc. Since I removed 1mm of deck height 38 thousands of an inch the compression ratio will be much higher than 10:1 C:R. Higher compression means more heat, more heat means the gas mixture explodes before the spark plug sparks and this causes the metal parts in the engine to pushed and pulled at the same time with high amounts of force and causes the engine to propel metal shrapnel and oil everywhere.

Sharp edges collect and transfer heat well, computer heat sinks display this effect very well! By smoothing down the edges on the top of the piston (not pictured) it helps prevent "pre detonation" and by smoothing over the edges on the sides and bottom it helps the cylinder and piston ad get oil better and help prevent "Scouring" of the cylinder wall. They churn these chinese parts out as fast as possible so little touches here and there add up and can go a long way, as with any engine blue printing.

My phone needs the help of lense or something to focus up this close. Might have to try one of those clip on macro lenses they on amazon sometimes. You may or may not be able to see an ever so slight bevel i put on the bottom outside of the piston with some 220 grit and oil.

http://imgur.com/4xQkC1C

http://imgur.com/uztwsRy

Reply 105 of 215, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still play Lego sometimes. 😁

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 106 of 215, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This Saturday I went on a 300 km brevet. Teamed up with 5 other strong and experienced riders, together we covered the distance within 13 hours and 15 minutes. The weather was perfect, +20°C and sunny, and the teammates were interesting people to talk to. It's my fourth 300 km brevet (eleventh overall) and now I feel confident enough for upcoming 400 and 600km rides 😀

I'm on the right, wearing bright red jearsey:
JMLaWIQkFy4.jpg

Reply 107 of 215, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

This Saturday I went on a 300 km brevet. Teamed up with 5 other strong and experienced riders, together we covered the distance within 13 hours and 15 minutes. The weather was perfect, +20°C and sunny, and the teammates were interesting people to talk to. It's my fourth 300 km brevet (eleventh overall) and now I feel confident enough for upcoming 400 and 600km rides 😀

Amazing! I rode to work today, ~25km round trip. That was enough 😵

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 108 of 215, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RacoonRider wrote:
This Saturday I went on a 300 km brevet. Teamed up with 5 other strong and experienced riders, together we covered the distance […]
Show full quote

I'm on the right, wearing bright red jearsey:
JMLaWIQkFy4.jpg

nice! a brevet is like an audax? I know audax but not brevet.

Last weekend I replaced my original 2001 Hope M4 hydraulics with shiny new Hope 2017 hydraulics. half the weight! 🤣! New rotors, levers, resevoirs, lines. I had to buy them from UK because in USA they have a law that forbids bicycles having front right, left rear brakes. all bikes sold must have front left, right rear.. so buying new brakes with cabling setup the opposite is illegal... totally stupid. As an Australian, all bikes should be right front, left rear!

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 109 of 215, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BloodyCactus wrote:

nice! a brevet is like an audax? I know audax but not brevet.

Last weekend I replaced my original 2001 Hope M4 hydraulics with shiny new Hope 2017 hydraulics. half the weight! 🤣! New rotors, levers, resevoirs, lines. I had to buy them from UK because in USA they have a law that forbids bicycles having front right, left rear brakes. all bikes sold must have front left, right rear.. so buying new brakes with cabling setup the opposite is illegal... totally stupid. As an Australian, all bikes should be right front, left rear!

Yup, that's an official audax, exactly the same thing 😀

Nice upgrade! I hear Hope makes superior brakes and rotors, but I stick with cheap Avid BB5 on my mtb 😀 By the way, road-legal bikes in Russia need to have front and rear lights on 24/7, but are not specifically required to have brakes 😁 Not that anyone rides with lights on anyway 😀

Reply 110 of 215, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Computer programming, obviously. But I also dabble in amateur photography with what barely even approaches professional camera equipment: Several expensive cell phones, including a Nokia Lumia 1020 and an iPhone 6s+. I know they're not professional cameras, but they do take some pretty snazzy shots, and it's more important to capture the right moment with the best equipment you have, than to have the most expensive equipment and hope a moment comes along to use it.

I also dabble in photo and image manipulation, and have almost mastered some techniques related to background removal, solid body to alpha blend using a particular color as the key, basic things.

I also dabbled in sound manipulation and resampling algorithms, mostly specializing in low latency (sub-1ms) implementations that are designed for frequent sample rate changes, and thus place most of the rate change overhead at the program startup, resulting in minimal overhead at mix time. The code for this is on my Github Gists archive, as well as my Multiresampler demo plugin for foobar2000, which strangely some people have actually wanted to use for serious listening, when I only made it to demonstrate the resamplers.'

I also hoard most of my old hardware from days of yore, and keep it for a rainy day. I have yet to actually buy any retro hardware, as most of my purchases, even some obsolete hardware, were made within a few years of their launch. Wait, I take that back. I bought two CRTs from the same thrift store, for $20 each. They're both pretty awesome hardware, too, but I barely use them.

Reply 111 of 215, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jo22: Nice drawings, and I also am starting to pick up the HT arm of the audio hobby a bit recently after hanging out on the AudioKarma chat. I have a couple pairs of Minimus 11s and a single Minimus 7 that I ordered along with some 14ga wire coming my way currently for a speaker upgrade (My current speaker setup is hobbled together from speakers pulled from various BPC/all-in-one type systems), with a receiver upgrade and maybe a sub further down the pipes. Once I get the speakers in question set up, I might run Lion KIng through them to cristen them. As for the receiver shown, my current receiver is getting a little long in the tooth in a couple ways, one being that it doesn't decode audio through the HDMI ports, and two, it's a little long in the tooth on supported codecs, it only supports DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 for multichannel codecs, at a time when TrueHD and DTS-HD MA were picking up steam, and the one I want to upgrade to, which is three ticks up from my unit at the time it was built (I own an STR-DH500, the next tick up at the time my receiver came out was the STR-DH700, and then the STR-DH800 and finally the STR-DN1000 at the top before going into the ES line) not only supports the current TrueHD and DTS-HD MA codecs, but it also decodes HDMI audio, and has a ton of inputs, which is also another area my current unit lacks, it's a little scarce on the inputs, plus the DN1000 would also look sexy as hell on the rack...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
378.55 KiB
Views
File comment
Minimus 11 fronts and rears.
File license
s-l500.jpg
Filename
s-l500.jpg
File size
14.77 KiB
Views
File comment
Minimus 7 center, and since I want to move up from a 5.1ch array to a 7.1ch array, I might grab two more of these should I upgrade the receiver.
File license
x158STN1000-f.jpeg
Filename
x158STN1000-f.jpeg
File size
19.93 KiB
Views
File comment
Future receiver upgrade (I currently run an STR-DH500).
File license

PC hardware: Ryzen 5 4500, 32GB RAM, 1TB SN 570 Linux drive, 500GB 970 EVO Plus Windows drive, 2TB 970 EVO Plus games drive, 1TB 870 EVO extra storage drive, RX 6600 GPU, EndeavourOS/Win10 dual-boot

Reply 112 of 215, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroGamingNovice wrote:
Jo22: Nice drawings, and I also am starting to pick up the HT arm of the audio hobby a bit recently after hanging out on the Aud […]
Show full quote

Jo22: Nice drawings, and I also am starting to pick up the HT arm of the audio hobby a bit recently after hanging out on the AudioKarma chat. I have a couple pairs of Minimus 11s and a single Minimus 7 that I ordered along with some 14ga wire coming my way currently for a speaker upgrade (My current speaker setup is hobbled together from speakers pulled from various BPC/all-in-one type systems), with a receiver upgrade and maybe a sub further down the pipes. Once I get the speakers in question set up, I might run Lion KIng through them to cristen them. As for the receiver shown, my current receiver is getting a little long in the tooth in a couple ways, one being that it doesn't decode audio through the HDMI ports, and two, it's a little long in the tooth on supported codecs, it only supports DD5.1 and DTS 5.1 for multichannel codecs, at a time when TrueHD and DTS-HD MA were picking up steam, and the one I want to upgrade to, which is three ticks up from my unit at the time it was built (I own an STR-DH500, the next tick up at the time my receiver came out was the STR-DH700, and then the STR-DH800 and finally the STR-DN1000 at the top before going into the ES line) not only supports the current TrueHD and DTS-HD MA codecs, but it also decodes HDMI audio, and has a ton of inputs, which is also another area my current unit lacks, it's a little scarce on the inputs, plus the DN1000 would also look sexy as hell on the rack...
---------------------------------------------------------------------

s-l1600.jpg
s-l500.jpg
x158STN1000-f.jpeg

Wait, you are an AK member too? Remember Pandovski?

Nice Minimus, by the way.

Reply 113 of 215, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, although I've been kinda spotty on activity since I had the account, I started being more active in the chats recently though, and not really, and thanks, just got them today, here's a selfie of me holding the 7 I'm using for the center, plus one of the Min11s installed in back.
------------------------------------------------------------------

2017-05-17-141440.jpg
Filename
2017-05-17-141440.jpg
File size
514.21 KiB
Views
File comment
Myself holding the Min7 center channel.
File license
2017-05-17-234758.jpg
Filename
2017-05-17-234758.jpg
File size
415.45 KiB
Views
File comment
One of the Min11s placed in back.
File license

Reply 114 of 215, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Me too. And tens of thousands of adults do, too! 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 115 of 215, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RetroGamingNovice wrote:
Yeah, although I've been kinda spotty on activity since I had the account, I started being more active in the chats recently tho […]
Show full quote

Yeah, although I've been kinda spotty on activity since I had the account, I started being more active in the chats recently though, and not really, and thanks, just got them today, here's a selfie of me holding the 7 I'm using for the center, plus one of the Min11s installed in back.
------------------------------------------------------------------

2017-05-17-141440.jpg
2017-05-17-234758.jpg

So, your gaming rig got Minimus 7's satellites. What is the subwoofer?

tayyare wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Me too. And tens of thousands of adults do, too! 🤣

When I was kid I was into model kit too --mom bought me a Monogram Sepecat Jaguar. Too bad in my adulthood I rarely have the time for the hobby.

Reply 116 of 215, by RetroGamingNovice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is just my normal sound system, and as of right now, no sub, forgoing getting one right now because the satellites are good enough on their own at this point, they're actually kinda ridiculous for their size, really. And I use it the majority of the time for general computer audio or for audio if I want to stick a bluray in or something. Also use it to switch between HDMI inputs to free up some room on the TV.

Reply 117 of 215, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I like playing diffrent types of ball games,like soccer, handball and dodgeball.(keep in mind i'm a 15 year old person), like going to school in bicycle (when i have the chance) and using any kind of technology. I know a lot about technology for just being an 15 year old child!(you can see that in my profile)

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 118 of 215, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well... As I have mentioned previously, I have cooking as a hobby too. These are two examples of open sandwiches, that I make. I never use recepies for these sort of things (only for cakes and cookies). One sandwich is enough, as they are solid and heavy.

Sandwich-01.jpg
Filename
Sandwich-01.jpg
File size
238.2 KiB
Views
File license
Sandwich-02.jpg
Filename
Sandwich-02.jpg
File size
192.79 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 119 of 215, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@brostenen - they both look amazing and delicious, but they don't look like sandwiches, as I know them to be anyhow. 🤣. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks