Reply 17122 of 52682, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dexvx wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

The number nine card with the IBM chip is not a Trio64, is an S3 Vision968

Yes, you're right. I guess they were pre-Trio.

Anyone know why the Asus Mach64 is so tiny and the other one huge in comparison?

These are two different Mach64 cards, the ASUS one is an ASUS Mach64 CT which is a cost reduced version with integrated Ramdac version of the Mach64, the larger card is a Mach64 GX with it's external RAMDAC

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 17123 of 52682, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I haven't seen it here for quite a long time... My collection has just been strengthened by Ensoniq Soundscape Elite... I've got also double daughterboard.

Attachments

• BATYRA_EnsoniqSoundscapeElite.jpg
    Filename
    BATYRA_EnsoniqSoundscapeElite.jpg
    File size
    1.04 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Ensoniq Soundscape Elite + 2nd daughterboard
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 17124 of 52682, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dexvx wrote:
Carlos S. M. wrote:

The number nine card with the IBM chip is not a Trio64, is an S3 Vision968

Yes, you're right. I guess they were pre-Trio.

Anyone know why the Asus Mach64 is so tiny and the other one huge in comparison?

Integrated Ramdac is the most likely answer.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 17126 of 52682, by Qjimbo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Found these at the Freegeek thrift store in Vancouver.

Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS - $10

Both these cards were untested at the store so they were discounted - so far I've tested the 6800 GT and it works fine:
Geforce 6800 GT 256MB AGP - $5
Geforce 7600 GS 256MB AGP Silent - $5

6hOMLRB.jpg

Follow me on twitter

Reply 17127 of 52682, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never too few GUS in my collection... Just got info I've managed to buy a clone... more it'a a clone's-clone... UltiSound that is clone of Primax M-16B which is a clone of GUS classic... of course boxed! 😎
(foto from the net - not mine)

Attachments

• UltiSound.jpg
    Filename
    UltiSound.jpg
    File size
    123.68 KiB
    Views
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 17128 of 52682, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote:
This week I sold about £15 worth of kit on eBay. I then saw a 'spare parts' job lot, starting bid of £15 delivered, and bid on i […]
Show full quote

This week I sold about £15 worth of kit on eBay. I then saw a 'spare parts' job lot, starting bid of £15 delivered, and bid on it not expecting to get it. Aaaaand I won it as the only bidder 😒 !

1y8oNqa.jpg

Eugh... I can probably cobble together on working PC from this load of junk.... Right? Right guys?

It looks to be a 478 board (or maybe 423 I support, I've never actually seen one?) in the top left;
Reasonably late AGP GPU in the bottom left- any ideas what this is?
Slightly intrigued by the green GPU in the centre- looks a bit like my TNT2 actually..
There is a stick of SDRAM in the centre which suggests one of the boards might be older than S478

Well my pile of junk arrived today. Will the Gods of "used when pulled from a working machine" eBaying shine on me? Or will it be all be faulty pile of poo?

Things didn't start off very well when 'fragile' box arrived rather squished...
UnXXqZgh.jpg

Although the seller had at least wrapped it well:
wcTMSNKh.jpg

The first of the main bits; a S478 motherboard, clearly cherished by a loving previous owner:
LsCoBTsh.jpg
yHht0ZDh.jpg
It has a P4 3.00GHz, forgot to get the 5 digit intel code though!

Mystery motherboard. I can't find a model number on it, unless it is literally "Dublin" ? Much cleaner than the last.
bABiGyBh.jpg
This had a Socket 478 1.8GHz P4, and uses SDRAM. I also forgot to get the 5 digit intel code on this, but I remember it being an '01 chip at 1.75volts. Must be an early one!

GPU 1 turned out to be a 5700FX, points to the person who correctly identified it in this thread a few pages back! Again, it was so dirty I'm pretty sure I caught the bubonic plague cleaning it. The dust compacted into almost a cardboard like texture and had to be pulled out with my tweazers (.
wKNQ9bCh.jpg
aCoqzR5h.jpg

GPU 2 turned out to be... I don't know! I Have a feeling it is a GeForce 2MX? No stickers on it and I can't get the enthusiasm to take the heatsink off just yet as I dislike pushpins. Much cleaner, and likely paired with the cleaner motherboard, given their likely close ages. I'll run GPU-Z later...
xb4k36Yh.jpg

I also got, as advertised, a load of cables, IDE CD and DVD drives, a 2.5" SATA 80GB HDD, 60GB 3.5" IDE HDD, a PCI modem, a busted and a relatively complete Fujitsu Siemens laptop apiece, 2 powersupplies (both of which work quietly and appear clean, weirdly). The cooler for the other 478 board was present, as was 256MB of PC133 SDRAM for the older board.

Optimistically I cobbled a bunch of it together (instead of being sensible and using a known PSU and GPU) and tried the clean motherboard, after applying some fresh thermal paste. It booted first time, which was a nice surprise!
RVFNuy4h.jpg

After cleaning the other board, I gave that a go with the other PSU. This also works fine, although the fan on the 5700FX is busted, very rattle-y and I guess a bearing is 'broken'. Easy enough to replace if I can find a suitable fan! It uses a simple two pushpin mount, hopefully shared by a lot of Nvidia GPUs of this era?

The 60GB IDE HDD Harddrive came with Windows 7 installed with a few enterprise-y programs, I guess for the stockmarket or something. It's lucky I'm not some kind of datathief!

Overall, I'd say that's a resounding success for an untested ebay job lot!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 17129 of 52682, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A computer shop roughly an hour from my house was closing its doors for good and they were having a liquidation sale. The guy was pulling stuff out of the back to put out for either 75 percent off or free as I browsed the stuff 🤣

In the end I got two boxes full of parts, 3 towers (Compaq ME tower, shell of a Dell XPS and a generic XP machine) and a Gateway 2000 CRT monitor for 60 bucks 😁

Attachments

• 20170523_185008.jpg
    Filename
    20170523_185008.jpg
    File size
    3.34 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20170523_185004.jpg
    Filename
    20170523_185004.jpg
    File size
    3.82 MiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 17130 of 52682, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

A computer shop roughly an hour from my house was closing its doors for good and they were having a liquidation sale. The guy was pulling stuff out of the back to put out for either 75 percent off or free as I browsed the stuff 🤣

In the end I got two boxes full of parts, 3 towers (Compaq ME tower, shell of a Dell XPS and a generic XP machine) and a Gateway 2000 CRT monitor for 60 bucks 😁

60 for all 3 machines and the monitor or 60 for the monitor? If you paid 60 for a CRT that's insane unless there's something special about it. My Max is about 20 for CRTs, and that for 19"s @ 1600x1200 or greater. Anythink below a 17" I pass up unless it's free. No excuse to be paying out the ass for used CRTs... Yet.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17131 of 52682, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had another lot of stuff arrive today. Too lazy to spread them nicely for a photo. Going to sell some duplicates on eBay and tossing some unsellables (mainly the modem/laptop stuff).

2x 3com ISA Etherlink III's (10/BNC)
1x 3Com 905B (10/100)
2x D-Link PCI NIC (10/BNC and 10)
1x Linksys ISA NIC (10/BNC) still NIB
2x PCI 802.11b Wifi. Tossing these.

1x Radeon 9600SE AGP.
1x eVGA GF4 MX440 AGP, still has the tag attached to it.
1x TNT2 M64 AGP.
2x Matrox MIL2P/4N PCI.
1x Ensoniq Voodoo Banshee AGP.
1x Trident Blade 8890 PCI
4x S3 Trio64 cards, IBM OEM, Some OEM, Diamond, RealMagic (labeled as RealMagic 64/GX)
1x Trident 8900 ISA.

SB Live 5.1 SB0010.
Some PCI/USB Card. May Toss.
Some PCI/Firewire Card. May Toss.

Some 56K PCI Modems. Tossing these.
Some CardAdapter for laptop. Tossing those as well.

Reply 17132 of 52682, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Better picture of today's haul. 😁 Gonna edit this post later with an inventory, not done sifting through the stuff yet. 🤣

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

60 for all 3 machines and the monitor or 60 for the monitor? If you paid 60 for a CRT that's insane unless there's something special about it. My Max is about 20 for CRTs, and that for 19"s @ 1600x1200 or greater. Anythink below a 17" I pass up unless it's free. No excuse to be paying out the ass for used CRTs... Yet.

The $60 went to the big box of video/NIC/etc cards actually. The monitor was free, along with the towers. He was gonna toss them, but gave them to me after I convinced him to dig them out of the back 🤣

Attachments

• 20170523_212523.jpg
    Filename
    20170523_212523.jpg
    File size
    430.01 KiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 17133 of 52682, by gbeirn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Saved 8 200MHz 1MB Pentium Pro chips from being scrap. Will straighten all pins and test overclocking and keep 1 or 2 of the best and resell the rest. $97 shipped.

Reply 17134 of 52682, by infiniteclouds

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up this brand new Gravis for cheap - I had yet to play any of my 3D Realms Anthology outside of Duke3D -- time to see how PC platformers measured up against NES/SNES/Genesis.
xPqEaRk.jpg?1

Also still in the shrinkwrap --
Gb5rHFD.jpg?2
nuxok86.jpg?1

Made in USA?! Anyhow I read good things about this stick here on Vogons and since I somewhat recently discovered how much fun the Wing Commander and X-Wing/Tie Fighter series are I thought it was worth getting.

Last edited by infiniteclouds on 2017-05-24, 06:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 17135 of 52682, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Made in USA?!

I also got a (then) unidentified stick from the fleamarket just because it said USA on it and was built like a tank. Turned out to be an older CH than yours.

Reply 17136 of 52682, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

Sounds like he got it all for 60$
And I'd take it you never had a nice crt or calibrated a crt. Definitely worth paying for a lot of crts. I paid over 100$ for my diamond pro. But a good chunk was shipping.

Reply 17137 of 52682, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jade Falcon wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

Sounds like he got it all for 60$
And I'd take it you never had a nice crt or calibrated a crt. Definitely worth paying for a lot of crts. I paid over 100$ for my diamond pro. But a good chunk was shipping.

I'm talking average stuff and local. I'd gladly consider paying more for a CRT that's using a high end tube (Trinitron on similar) and has been adjusted by a professional or expert. I'd probably be willing to pay 80 for a good 19" if it meets those conditions. Possibly more when we start talking about the top top stuff. When something is local, probably has a fair amount of wear to it, will most likely need adjustment, and has likely been sitting for an unknown amount of time I have to factor all this in.

I can infact align and adjust a CRT myself though. It isn't rocket science. I have to align my KDS XF7b every couple of months.

Right now I own:

Gateway2000 EV700 17" (My favorite and IMO best)
KDS XF7b 17" (Flat glass)
Compaq S5500 15" (Not my favorite but compact)
1989 AST VGA (Ancient, had manual adjustment knobs for everything)

I also have 2 CRT Macintoshs (eMac and iMac G3 Bondi Blue) and I hate the displays on both. I also have an 27" RCA TruFlat with component for my vintage console gaminf/TV watching needs.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17138 of 52682, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought MSI GeForce 4Ti 4800SE. I wasn't looking exactly for this SE model, but it has classic 4400/4600 PCB with BGA memory chips, which i like. Basically it is 4400 with (useless) AGP 8X interface. It has some ghetto style heatsink mod, but it is too large. Originally it looked like this https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/Ti4800SEVTD … l#hero-overview, but I think it is from the days, when MSI painted their alluminium heatsinks so they looked like copper, no wonder someone replace it.
Listed as working (on closer inspection of heatsink attachment I wonder how it could work correctly) on local online marketplace for roughly $3 (yes - three USD 😁), approx $6.6 with postage. So i gave it a try 😎

DSC02068.JPG
Filename
DSC02068.JPG
File size
404.51 KiB
Views
File license
DSC02073.JPG
Filename
DSC02073.JPG
File size
330.07 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 17139 of 52682, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mv_cz wrote:

Bought MSI GeForce 4Ti 4800SE. I wasn't looking exactly for this SE model, but it has classic 4400/4600 PCB with BGA memory chips, which i like. ...

The HSF is funny. I wonder how that could be attached? Superglue??