VOGONS

Windows 95 & DOS games

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's possible Maxis didn't bother to update the manuals. They're budget rereleases.

Anyway, I've tested on my Pentium 2 system, and to my surprise I managed to get SimEarth, SimFarm, and A-Train installed and running without a hitch. Although part of the video on A-Train is screwed up: all the isometric tiles show up in mostly black and some white (probably a video card issue).
SimLife...installed, but BSODs upon running from within Windows 98SE, and restarting in MS-DOS mode gives no sound or mouse. Running SimLife's set-up utility after installations screws up the installation.

I wonder why I couldn't get them installed when I tried a few years ago. 😕 So please ignore everything I wrote above about the DIMM issue. 😒

Reply 21 of 37, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like a sound card problem. You'll need a Sound card that has SB emulation using a driver if you're running in DOS mode and it is a DOS game.

m5215tx wrote:

I assume that there are no operational quirks with MS-DOS 7.x versus MS-DOS 6.22?

Also is it best to install Windows 95 as FAT16 rather than FAT32 or does this not matter for DOS games?

DOS games will run fine with 98SE DOS. There was maybe one game I can recall that corrupted my partition. I think it was Mario Teaches Typing. I think 99.9% games will run fine as long as it has been fully expanded. Meaning some games you had to install from floppy in order to setup up the configuration file for video and sound, et cetera. Once it is in its fully expanded / installed to hard drive directory that file should be functional no matter Fat16/Fat32.
NTFS is not an option in case you are wondering.

Jorpho wrote:
Back in the day there was an official MSKB about which games specifically would not run under Windows 95. M-Soft's Knowledge Art […]
Show full quote

Back in the day there was an official MSKB about which games specifically would not run under Windows 95.
M-Soft's Knowledge Articles on DOS games

Things might have changed with Windows 98.

Azarien wrote:

But I don't recommend the "restart in MS-DOS mode" mode. It still keeps parts of Windows (WIN.COM) resident, and loads MODE.COM that also takes memory (at least in localized versions of Windows). Instead, set bootgui=0 in msdos.sys, which brings back the DOS 6 / Windows 3.x way, where your PC boots straight to DOS and you run Windows with WIN.COM.

Perhaps you are thinking of using an MS-DOS "shortcut" configured to run in DOS mode. Because selecting "Restart in MS-DOS mode" from the Shutdown menu certainly does not leave win.com resident.

Also, instead of changing msdos.sys, you can just press F8 when Windows is starting and select the appropriate option from the menu.

Actually if you restart to MSDOS mode from within 95/98 it will return to the command prompt.

However to test if it has any Windows files in memory you can type this.

EXIT

It will load Windows if I remember correctly. But the purest way to make sure nothing is loaded in memory hogging your conventional memory it is better to bypass GUI direct to the Command Prompt. Use WIN to launch back into Windows when needed.

yawetaG wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

(some games crap out on systems with DIMMs instead of SIMMs)

That's oddly specific. May I ask if you have an example in mind?

Maxis titles such as SimFarm, SimLife, and SimEarth (at least, the Classics rerelease versions that were released in the mid-1990s). They work on 486 and Pentium systems that use SIMMs, but fail to load on systems with DIMMs (PII and higher). It might have something to do with the size of the modules, since (IIRC) one of them reported that too little memory was available to run the game on a system with a single 64Mb DIMM installed (buffer overflow?).

I seem to recall this functions just fine with 98SE DOS on a Pentium 4. There might be a few games that require DOS 3.3 or 2.1. DOS 4.0 was a bit bloated, DOS 5.0 is good but 6.0 / 6.22 was the final official MS DOS version.
PC DOS 7.0 was released but I wouldn't use that as a benchmark test DOS.

Jorpho wrote:
So, Maxis re-released these DOS games in the mid-90's, and when they did so they substantially reprogrammed them..? I'll have t […]
Show full quote

However, these rereleases were brought out in 1995 or '96 or so and modified to use the DOS/4GW extender.

So, Maxis re-released these DOS games in the mid-90's, and when they did so they substantially reprogrammed them..? I'll have to take your word for it.

yawetaG wrote:

What I meant is that it's possible that the game/installer expects a certain maximum memory size, and that when counting how much is available the reported amount goes over that maximum, resulting in an invalid value being reported and thus the message that too little memory is available.

In that case I think a better term would be "integer overflow".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integer_overflow

The most common error when running certain DOS games that were ancient on too fast a PC was "Divide Overflow". I haven't tested all my games from back in the day to confirm which ones can't run on a P4 or a modern motherboard to see which ones don't like to work anymore.

Last edited by 95DosBox on 2017-05-26, 10:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22 of 37, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
95DosBox wrote:

The most common error when running certain DOS games that were ancient on too fast a PC was "Divide Overflow".

Yes, Runtime Error 200 was a "Divide Overflow" and happened with many Turbo Pascal executables, but that was due to a bug in a common Turbo Pascal library.

Reply 23 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
95DosBox wrote:

Sounds like a sound card problem. You'll need a Sound card that has SB emulation using a driver if you're running in DOS mode and it is a DOS game.

That's one option, as the sound card driver (Ensoniq AudioPCI) doesn't get loaded when I reboot in MS-DOS mode.
On the other hand, I can set the sound to "PC Speaker" in the installation program, and it also won't work. I remember I never could get the sound in SimLIfe to work properly in MS-DOS 6.22 on my 486 with a SB Vibra 16 despite loading the driver properly (it worked in all other games).

Reply 24 of 37, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

That's one option, as the sound card driver (Ensoniq AudioPCI) doesn't get loaded when I reboot in MS-DOS mode.
On the other hand, I can set the sound to "PC Speaker" in the installation program, and it also won't work. I remember I never could get the sound in SimLIfe to work properly in MS-DOS 6.22 on my 486 with a SB Vibra 16 despite loading the driver properly (it worked in all other games).

Ahh your using an Ensoniq PCI. This card can handle SB emulation in DOS although not very good MIDI results since it was PCI. Creative Labs later bought them out so you can use their DOS drivers I think they were called SB 16 PCI. I think one game that did sound awesome with Ensoniq PCI was Warcraft 1. One of the instruments that played sounded better than the SB original MIDI instrument.

Another trick is booting into Windows 95/98 if the sound card is PnP. You modify the IRQ setting on the Device Manager for the device and change it to IRQ 7 for compatibility mode. IRQ 7 used to be the LTP1 IRQ for Parallel Port Printers but somehow Sound Blaster decided to use it since they figured no one would print while in DOS and running a game. But some games like Nova 9 from Dynamix would not play the speech if you used any other IRQ than 7. I think Rise of the Dragon also preferred IRQ 7 or you would get no voices. 🙁

The best sound card that doesn't require any drivers loaded were the first Mono Sound Blaster with IRQ Jumpers for ISA slots. But the best that I like for modern usage on ISA PnP is the stereo AWE64. I never had a problem running any old school DOS games on that. I think you still needed AWEUTIL TSR for it to work properly in DOS but that's just a small inconvenience.

There shouldn't be a reason why the internal PC Speaker option won't work but I don't know your motherboard specs but you might check if an internal PC speaker is connected to your motherboard. Sometimes people don't install one because the internal PC speaker had really annoying sound effects or they didn't like the computer making a beep sound when they rebooted their computer.

I took a look at the SimLife and tried every audio configuration.
Edit your Simlife.Bat file and change the contents to add the SML line only of the Sound device you want:

Internal PC Speaker
SML /800 /S1

Adlib
SML /800 /S4

Sound Blaster
SML /800 /S6

Roland
SML /800 /S8

Covox Sound Master
SML /800 /S5

Jorpho wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

The most common error when running certain DOS games that were ancient on too fast a PC was "Divide Overflow".

Yes, Runtime Error 200 was a "Divide Overflow" and happened with many Turbo Pascal executables, but that was due to a bug in a common Turbo Pascal library.

That's why I keep a legacy 386 16/20 MHz on stand by. Sometimes the decompression installers won't run and then you cannot expand the game to install to hard drive or run it. Once you've decompressed and installed the program you can backup the directory as a zip file. I'm not sure if there is a way to patch this Divide Overflow error without the source code of the program?

Last edited by 95DosBox on 2017-05-26, 10:56. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 25 of 37, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
95DosBox wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

That's why I keep a legacy 386 16/20 MHz on stand by. Sometimes the decompression installers won't run and then you cannot expand the game to install to hard drive or run it. Once you've decompressed and installed the program you can backup the directory as a zip file. I'm not sure if there is a way to patch this Divide Overflow error without the source code of the program?

Yes, executables that produce Runtime Error 200 on fast machines usually have a distinct hex string somewhere that can be overwritten and thus solve the problem. It's a very old problem at this point that is well-documented and has been largely solved.

Reply 26 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
95DosBox wrote:
yawetaG wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

Ahh your using an Ensoniq PCI. This card can handle SB emulation in DOS although not very good MIDI results since it was PCI. Creative Labs later bought them out so you can use their DOS drivers I think they were called SB 16 PCI. I think one game that did sound awesome with Ensoniq PCI was Warcraft 1. One of the instruments that played sounded better than the SB original MIDI instrument.

It handles every other DOS game using MIDI (e.g. SimCity 2000), Soundblaster-compatibility, or even FM fine. It is set to the default settings (IRQ 7 etc.).
The problem is with Simlife (the SB Vibra 16 I mentioned was an ISA card on a different system, and Simlife failed to work with that one too).

<snip>

There shouldn't be a reason why the internal PC Speaker option won't work but I don't know your motherboard specs but you might check if an internal PC speaker is connected to your motherboard. Sometimes people don't install one because the internal PC speaker had really annoying sound effects or they didn't like the computer making a beep sound when they rebooted their computer.

The internal PC speaker works fine with other DOS games. I somewhat suspect Maxis did something wrong on the CD version of Simlife causing the sound settings not to work.

I took a look at the SimLife and tried every audio configuration. Edit your Simlife.Bat file and change the contents to add the […]
Show full quote

I took a look at the SimLife and tried every audio configuration.
Edit your Simlife.Bat file and change the contents to add the SML line only of the Sound device you want:

Internal PC Speaker
SML /800 /S1

Adlib
SML /800 /S4

Sound Blaster
SML /800 /S6

Roland
SML /800 /S8

Covox Sound Master
SML /800 /S5

Thanks. I'll try that.
Edit: Well, it was set to SML /640 /S6, changed that to SML /640 /S1. Tested that, and it still says "You have installed SimLIfe with NO sound support". So I guess it's missing files on the CD-ROM related to sound.

Reply 27 of 37, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Yes, executables that produce Runtime Error 200 on fast machines usually have a distinct hex string somewhere that can be overwritten and thus solve the problem. It's a very old problem at this point that is well-documented and has been largely solved.

That would still entail patching every program that has this problem which could be a time consuming task. I was speaking more of a solution that worked without needing to do something like that. Perhaps some TSR program that would intercept and resolve the issue on the fly so it would work on any program with this issue on fast machines. Otherwise the 386/16 Mhz solution is the only hardware solution that avoid it entirely.

yawetaG wrote:

Thanks. I'll try that.
Edit: Well, it was set to SML /640 /S6, changed that to SML /640 /S1. Tested that, and it still says "You have installed SimLIfe with NO sound support". So I guess it's missing files on the CD-ROM related to sound.

The 800 option will get you 800x600 resolution. I think it should work without any additional drivers. I tried it in DOSBOX and it works. Can't say much about the sound for internal PC speaker but the SB option is working.

Last edited by 95DosBox on 2017-05-26, 10:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 37, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
95DosBox wrote:

That would still entail patching every program that has this problem which could be a time consuming task.

Perhaps, but people don't generally try to run all that many programs.

Perhaps some TSR program that would intercept and resolve the issue on the fly so it would work on any program with this issue on fast machines.

There might be, but then you have to start worrying about extra memory consumption and incompatibility with other TSRs.

Otherwise the 386/16 Mhz solution is the only hardware solution that avoid it entirely.

Runtime Error 200 isn't really much of a problem until around Pentium II speeds.

Reply 29 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
95DosBox wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Thanks. I'll try that.

The 800 option will get you 800x600 resolution. I think it should work without any additional drivers. I tried it in DOSBOX and it works. Can't say much about the sound for internal PC speaker but the SB option is working.

It isn't working for me because the CD-ROM I have (picture below) appears to be missing all files related to sound...and (obviously) if the sound files are absent, I can select whatever I want in the installation program, but it won't work.

Could you check for me that there's a folder named "SOUND" present on your installation? If so, could you please put that folder in a ZIP file and upload it somewhere?

Attachments

• simlife_cd.jpg
    Filename
    simlife_cd.jpg
    File size
    94.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 30 of 37, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Perhaps, but people don't generally try to run all that many programs. […]
Show full quote
95DosBox wrote:

That would still entail patching every program that has this problem which could be a time consuming task.

Perhaps, but people don't generally try to run all that many programs.

Perhaps some TSR program that would intercept and resolve the issue on the fly so it would work on any program with this issue on fast machines.

There might be, but then you have to start worrying about extra memory consumption and incompatibility with other TSRs.

Otherwise the 386/16 Mhz solution is the only hardware solution that avoid it entirely.

Runtime Error 200 isn't really much of a problem until around Pentium II speeds.

Jorpho it's not necessarily running all those programs at once but not having to find out a program doesn't work and having to deal with it accordingly but I usually have a huge database of DOS games that were installed in their respective directories and then using a front loader so you can pick and choose the program to launch instantly which is what I used to do rather than stay in the command line. I would automate most of the typing with batch files and the front loader would be assigned the appropriate batch file for each game. I would make sure each program ran properly and then zip them up and then make the batch file for that particular game unzip to a Ramdrive and run off of there. Eventually all the other remaining ones that didn't work due to insufficient conventional memory would be the ones I would have to resort to using the command line instead. I usually precrack any programs if necessary so there aren't any problems or delays like looking up a word in a manual or inserting a disk. But if some TSR program were created to resolve those two types of errors it would be a tricky thing to do and may not work on all of them as you said but if the TSR could be stored in the HMA then it wouldn't be too big a deal in memory consumption.

The hardware solution is always the best for compatibility reasons so I stick by what always works. Perhaps one day when I have the luxury of time to gather all the floppy disks, tape backups, and CD backups of everything I acquired back then and I could create a master list of what worked on what system and what was the breaking point where it failed to function. At one point I used to have a computer room displaying specifically an 8088, 80286, 80386, and 80486 all in order. Between the Divide Overflow Error and the Runtime Error 200 you mentioned I hardly ever noticed these occurring on my systems. Most of my favorites never had this problem. The end goal is to eventually video and audio record the classic game on legacy hardware to preserve onto Youtube. Do you happen to have any favorite DOS and/or Windows games?

yawetaG wrote:

Could you check for me that there's a folder named "SOUND" present on your installation? If so, could you please put that folder in a ZIP file and upload it somewhere?

YawetaG there is no sound folder. Can you do a directory listing of all the files on the CDrom and paste them here in wide format?

Last edited by 95DosBox on 2017-05-26, 10:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31 of 37, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Please don't post a large amount of posts in row. Try to consolidate posts into one if you can.
Thanks!

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 32 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
95DosBox wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

There is no sound folder. Can you do a directory listing of all the files on the CDrom?

Okay, here goes:

CPL4DAT._
CPL4NDX._
DESERT._
FANCIFUL._
FILTER._
FONT._
GAMES._
GAMETEXT._
HERBIVOR._
INFO.EXE
INSTALL.EXE
INSTALL.MXS
MAP._
MAXIS.CIM
POSTCARD.CIM
PREDATOR._
PREHIST._
README.TXT
SML._
TEMPERAT._
TROPIC._
WATER._
ZOOS._

Reply 33 of 37, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
Okay, here goes: […]
Show full quote

Okay, here goes:

CPL4DAT._
CPL4NDX._
DESERT._
FANCIFUL._
FILTER._
FONT._
GAMES._
GAMETEXT._
HERBIVOR._
INFO.EXE
INSTALL.EXE
INSTALL.MXS
MAP._
MAXIS.CIM
POSTCARD.CIM
PREDATOR._
PREHIST._
README.TXT
SML._
TEMPERAT._
TROPIC._
WATER._
ZOOS._

Looks like you are missing some directories but I don't think they are sound related.

Also I don't see your file sizes listed.
Go to Command Prompt and type:
C: (or whatever the drive letter is where your SIMLIFE is stored)
CD\SIMLIFE
DIR *. in your SIMLIFE directory

Here is mine:

Directory of Z:\SIMLIFE

05/24/2017 06:45 PM <DIR> .
05/24/2017 06:45 PM <DIR> ..
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 1,293,494 cpl4life.dat
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 10,116 cpl4life.ndx
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 2,694 font1
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 2,674 font2
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 2,942 font3
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 3,070 font4
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 2,468 font5
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 2,906 font6
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 3,438 font7
05/24/2017 06:25 PM <DIR> games
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 6,615 games.txt
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 104,349 install.exe
05/24/2017 06:26 PM 14 LIFEPC.BAT
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 120,588 map.x32
05/24/2017 06:25 PM <DIR> orgots
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 11,683 readme.txt
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 15 simlife.bat
12/24/1996 11:32 PM 648,821 sml.exe
05/24/2017 06:45 PM 480 WINDOWS.800
17 File(s) 2,216,367 bytes
4 Dir(s)

The LIFEPC.bat file I created for my own configuration based off of the SIMLIFE.bat

Last edited by 95DosBox on 2017-05-26, 11:22. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 34 of 37, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, sorry about the file sizes, but my internet connected machine isn't a DOS-capable PC but a Mac, so I just copied the directory listing.

Also, you asked me for a file listing from the CD, which are the compressed installation files, not the installed files. Anyway, I compared your listing with the one on my Win98SE machine, and I've got the following (copied by hand):

Additional files:
info.exe 27,025 (Maxis system information utility)
postcard.cim 15,341 (registration card I think)
maxis.cim 67,557

Files with different file sizes:
install.exe 117,110
sml.exe 657,559
games.txt 6,562
simlife.bat 11
readme.txt 15,311
cpl4life.dat 1,297,071
cpl4life.ndx 10,164

Missing files:
WINDOWS.800 (SVGA option?)
map.x32

Your files are also a year newer (1996) than the year printed on my CD (1995). So it looks like your version is a different (bugfixed?) version.

Reply 35 of 37, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
Yeah, sorry about the file sizes, but my internet connected machine isn't a DOS-capable PC but a Mac, so I just copied the direc […]
Show full quote

Yeah, sorry about the file sizes, but my internet connected machine isn't a DOS-capable PC but a Mac, so I just copied the directory listing.

Also, you asked me for a file listing from the CD, which are the compressed installation files, not the installed files. Anyway, I compared your listing with the one on my Win98SE machine, and I've got the following (copied by hand):

Files with different file sizes:
install.exe 117,110

I see you are on a MAC so it will be much different than doing it on a PC but since you have the DOSBOX for MAC I'm pretty sure the CD itself is for PC so you can also do the same DOS commands as well using DOSBOX command line. But the file you would need to run is the install.exe to configure the video and audio settings and installation destination path.

MAC instructions:
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBox_and_Mac_OS_X

Installing DOSBOX which you've done but just to make sure everything is the same just check this part over.

This guide will use the 0.74 Mac OSX version which is available for download. The 0.74 release is compiled as a Universal Binary, and will run on PowerPC and Intel based Macs. To install DOSBox, first expand the .ZIP file and copy the contents into a folder like DOSBox. Move this folder into your Applications folder.

Now you need to create a folder to MOUNT as your C: drive and hold your games. The most convenient location for this folder would be your home folder (which can be referenced as ~). In This example we will call our folder DOSGAMES. Inside this folder we can place all of the programs that we want to be available in our emulated DOS environment. Remember that while these files are buried deep in the file system with paths like ~/DOSGAMES/TESTDRV, inside DOSBox they appear as though they reside in the root of their mounted drive letter, so the above example in DOSBox would be located at C:\TESTDRV (assuming that ~/DOSGAMES was mounted as C:).

I think in your case I would copy the entire SimLife CD contents to your home folder so there should be a SIMLIFE directory there with all the files.

MAC OSX DOS BOX instructions Running DOSBox for the first time

Double click on the DOSBox icon in Finder to launch DOSBox for the first time. This will cause the DOSBox window to appear. By default no drives are mounted (except the DOSBox default Z:) From here you need to mount your DOSGAMES folder. Assuming you placed it inside your home folder you should be able to run this command to MOUNT the folder.

Z:\>MOUNT C ~/DOSGAMES
Drive C is mounted as local directory /Users/[your username]/DOSGAMES/

Now type this command to navigate to your newly mounted drive

Z:\>C:
C:\>CD\SIMLIFE
C:\SIMLIFE>INSTALL

It will say Welcome to the SimLife Installer, Would you like read the readme file now? Yes No
Use the right arrow key and select No
Then at the top of the screen it will say,
SimLife video installation setting: VGA 640x480 16 colors
SimLife sound installation setting: Roland sound driver

On which hard disk do you wish to install SimLife?
C:
D:
E:
F:
G:

Select C: by hitting ENTER key

Please enter the directory (on drive C:) in which you wish to install SimLife
\SimLife (This is the default directory, hit ENTER key unless you wish to change it to some other name)

These are the default settings selected by your machine by SimLife installer. If you are unsure what settings you should select, these defaults are probably best for you.

Are these settings correct? Yes No
Right arrow key to select No

Then it will say,
Please select a Sound Driver:
None
IBM Speaker
Adlib
Covox Sound Master
Sound Blaster
Roland

Use the up and down arrow keys to the sound device you want to use and hit ENTER

Show last 21 lines
Then it will ask
On which hard disk do you wish to install SimLife?
Select C: by hitting ENTER

Please enter the directory (on drive C:) in which you wish to install SimLife
\SimLife (This is the default directory, hit ENTER key unless you wish to change it to some other name)

Are these settings correct? Yes No
Hit ENTER to select Yes

It will then copy the sound and configuration file to C:\SIMLIFE and exit to the command prompt again and show
SimLife brought to you by the dudes at MAXIS.
Type "SimLife" to start SimLife.

At the C:\SIMLIFE>
Type Simlife and hit the ENTER key and it should launch with the video and sound configuration you chose.

I hope this works. I don't have a MAC OSX around to do it step by step to confirm everything but I tried to visualize the process in my head for you.

Reply 37 of 37, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
95DosBox wrote:

Do you happen to have any favorite DOS and/or Windows games?

I think this thread has gone quite far enough off the rails already.

I'll take that as a subtle nod to The Last Express. 😒