VOGONS

First post, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps this thread might be useful beyond my own personal wants. In any case, I've recently got a 486 build working, complete with an OPL3 card and a Stealth 24 VLB card. I come to you because... I've done sweet fuck all with it. I was gonna play Doom, but that's too much for a DX2-66 to play comfortably- and I can't get stereo sound.

So instead, I'll work backwards. This period, pre-1993, is way to early for me to have knowledge of. Most games I see come up are kinda basic little time wasters, I come to ask for narrative or immersive games, the more and deeper the story the better.

Secondary question: The same, but Mac exclusive games pre-1999 (for a G3 tower I barely use.) I wanna actually /use/ these machines for something, so help me find something cool!

Reply 1 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doom should be OK on a 486DX2-66.

Other 3D games to try are Frontier, MechWarrior 2, Dark Forces, Terminal Velocity, Witchaven, Tomb Raider, Hexen, NASCAR Racing, Descent, SU-27 Flanker, Virtual Pool

Other stuff: Dune II, Command & Conquer, Simcity 2000, Warcraft 1 + 2, Worms, Syndicate, Discworld

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SRQ wrote:

Perhaps this thread might be useful beyond my own personal wants. In any case, I've recently got a 486 build working, complete with an OPL3 card and a Stealth 24 VLB card. I come to you because... I've done sweet fuck all with it. I was gonna play Doom, but that's too much for a DX2-66 to play comfortably- and I can't get stereo sound.

So instead, I'll work backwards. This period, pre-1993, is way to early for me to have knowledge of. Most games I see come up are kinda basic little time wasters, I come to ask for narrative or immersive games, the more and deeper the story the better.

Doom is a bit chuggy on a 486, but recently I started playing it again to give myself a break from a long RPG I'm in the middle of, and I'm actually getting used to the chugginess to the point where the framerate seems not so bad. And I've got my 486 clocked at 40Mhz too.

As for recommendations, here's some from different genres that IMO are highly narrative and/or immersive. I've completed many of them, so can attest to their quality.

Flight Sims with campaign:
*Aces of the Pacific
Aces over Europe
*Red Baron

Graphic Adventures:
*Day of the Tentacle
*Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
*Quest for Glory I, II, III
*Space Quest IV, V
*The Secret of Monkey Island
*(and other Lucas Arts and Sierra titles)

Role-Playing:
*Alone in the Dark
*Betrayal at Krondor
Lands of Lore
*Might and Magic: World of Xeen
Ravenloft I, II
Ultima Underworld I, II
*Ultima VI
*Ultima VII Pt 1
Ultima VII Pt 2
*Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams
*Worlds of Ultima: Savage Empire

Space Shooter with story-driven campaign:
*Wing Commander I
Wing Commander II

*slow these games down by de-turboing or disabling L1 cache. They will run too fast on a 486DX2/66

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 13, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

Doom should be OK on a 486DX2-66.

Other 3D games to try are Frontier, MechWarrior 2, Dark Forces, Terminal Velocity, Witchaven, Tomb Raider, Hexen, NASCAR Racing, Descent, SU-27 Flanker, Virtual Pool

Other stuff: Dune II, Command & Conquer, Simcity 2000, Warcraft 1 + 2, Worms, Syndicate, Discworld

SimCity 2000 on a DX2-66 ? Once the city gets a little bigger it will slow down to a crawl.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 13, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
Doom is a bit chuggy on a 486, but recently I started playing it again to give myself a break from a long RPG I'm in the middle […]
Show full quote
SRQ wrote:

Doom is a bit chuggy on a 486, but recently I started playing it again to give myself a break from a long RPG I'm in the middle of, and I'm actually getting used to the chugginess to the point where the framerate seems not so bad. And I've got my 486 clocked at 40Mhz too.

As for recommendations, here's some from different genres that IMO are highly narrative and/or immersive. I've completed many of them, so can attest to their quality.

*Aces of the Pacific
Aces over Europe
*Red Baron

Graphic Adventures:
*Day of the Tentacle
*Space Quest IV, V

Role-Playing:
*Alone in the Dark
*Betrayal at Krondor
Lands of Lore
Ravenloft I, II
Ultima Underworld I, II
*Ultima VI
*Ultima VII Pt 1
Ultima VII Pt 2

*Wing Commander I
Wing Commander II

*slow these games down by de-turboing or disabling L1 cache. They will run too fast on a 486DX2/66

BAK gives me an out of memory error with a whole 620 conventional, what's up with that?

Reply 6 of 13, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SRQ wrote:

BAK gives me an out of memory error with a whole 620 conventional, what's up with that?

Not sure, but it does require 595KB conventional and at least 1MB EMS. My system has 619KB conventional and 7MB EMS and it runs the game no problem. You are running with the CD in the drive, right? I believe that is required.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 8 of 13, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

Sometimes I wonder what kind of 486 my parents had back in '95 or some people are overreacting.
I ran doom and sim city 2000 just fine on it.....anyway.

- dune 1
- merits galactic Reunion
- Z
- Blood and magic
- M.a.x.
- Setlers 2
- Cyclones (hard to find)
- highway hunter
- desert stom

Reply 9 of 13, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's on the Mac, OS8/9 or OSX? The Marathon series is a great place to start for that. Also the original Unreal & UT99 came out for OS9 and should run ok on a G3 with a 3D card.

Rise of the Triad would go great on the DX2/66. 😎

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 10 of 13, by SRQ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:

What's on the Mac, OS8/9 or OSX? The Marathon series is a great place to start for that. Also the original Unreal & UT99 came out for OS9 and should run ok on a G3 with a 3D card.

Rise of the Triad would go great on the DX2/66. 😎

IT runs 8.6 or 9.22, depending on what I feel like, and has an odd issue where I can't change OS at boot by holding option, like literally- I can't= even if the system otherwise works 100% fine.
Got a Rage 128 so I suppose those could work, but I've played those on PC!

Reply 13 of 13, by cuba200611

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
Doom is a bit chuggy on a 486, but recently I started playing it again to give myself a break from a long RPG I'm in the middle […]
Show full quote
SRQ wrote:

*Aces of the Pacific
Aces over Europe
*Red Baron

Graphic Adventures:
*Day of the Tentacle
*Space Quest IV, V

Role-Playing:
*Alone in the Dark
*Betrayal at Krondor
Lands of Lore
Ravenloft I, II
Ultima Underworld I, II
*Ultima VI
*Ultima VII Pt 1
Ultima VII Pt 2

*Wing Commander I
Wing Commander II

Ultima VII (both parts) requires special memory management, since it won't work with EMM386.