VOGONS

Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 689, by A-L-E-X

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hypothetically speaking, if someone did wrote a new BIOS is there a way to allow it to be able to use a PCIe 3.0 GPU or a newer CPU? Would PCIe 3.0 even make a difference since there would be a cap on speeds since the board has a 4x bus?

Reply 161 of 689, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Yes, it will eventually boot into Win98SE, but I had all kind of strange issues with the 775Dual VSTA and Win98. I would NOT recommend this board for Win98SE usage. You will get it up and running, but it will not be stable.

Same experience here. I get odd BSODs and system hangs. It seems to be a bit more stable when using a PCI-E card (6600GT) then with an AGP card (6800LE) but still not usable by my standards.

The only modernish mainboard I've been able to run win98se stable on is a Gigabyte GA-MF3 (socket AM2 + DDR2 + AGP / nForce 3 chipset) - but only with a IDE drive. Win98 installs fine on SATA drives but I get file system corruption soon after.

I managed to install a set of odd Abit? nforce3 drivers, and got everything but the on-board lan working in win98 with 1GB of ram and a A64 X2 5000+. I tried running newer chips like an Athlon II X4 640 but there's loads of instability, even with only one core enabled.

Reply 162 of 689, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kanecvr wrote:
Same experience here. I get odd BSODs and system hangs. It seems to be a bit more stable when using a PCI-E card (6600GT) then w […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote:

Yes, it will eventually boot into Win98SE, but I had all kind of strange issues with the 775Dual VSTA and Win98. I would NOT recommend this board for Win98SE usage. You will get it up and running, but it will not be stable.

Same experience here. I get odd BSODs and system hangs. It seems to be a bit more stable when using a PCI-E card (6600GT) then with an AGP card (6800LE) but still not usable by my standards.

The only modernish mainboard I've been able to run win98se stable on is a Gigabyte GA-MF3 (socket AM2 + DDR2 + AGP / nForce 3 chipset) - but only with a IDE drive. Win98 installs fine on SATA drives but I get file system corruption soon after.

I managed to install a set of odd Abit? nforce3 drivers, and got everything but the on-board lan working in win98 with 1GB of ram and a A64 X2 5000+. I tried running newer chips like an Athlon II X4 640 but there's loads of instability, even with only one core enabled.

was the SATA drive larger than 128 GB? I do remember Windows 9x having corruption issues with drivers larger than the 28 bit LBA limit (128 GB)

Idk about the stability with the Athlon II x4 640, but aparentlty, acording to Gigabyte, the board doesn't support AMD K10 based CPUs officially, fatest supported CPU officially is the Athlon 64 x2 6400+, BIOS might not have the requiered AGESA version to support AMD K10 CPUs properly, i can be worng at some point, but there might be changes of begin possible to mod the BIOS with AMD K10 microcode/support

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 163 of 689, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:
kanecvr wrote:
Same experience here. I get odd BSODs and system hangs. It seems to be a bit more stable when using a PCI-E card (6600GT) then w […]
Show full quote
vetz wrote:

was the SATA drive larger than 128 GB? I do remember Windows 9x having corruption issues with drivers larger than the 28 bit LBA limit (128 GB)

Nope. 80GB. Partitioned with win98's FDISK utility as well (otherwise I have trouble booting off the partition). 4GB partition for win98, 15gb for XP and the rest split in two.

Carlos S. M. wrote:

Idk about the stability with the Athlon II x4 640, but aparentlty, acording to Gigabyte, the board doesn't support AMD K10 based CPUs officially, fatest supported CPU officially is the Athlon 64 x2 6400+, BIOS might not have the requiered AGESA version to support AMD K10 CPUs properly, i can be worng at some point, but there might be changes of begin possible to mod the BIOS with AMD K10 microcode/support

I'm using a beta bios off Gigabyte forums. It supports up to Phenom II X4 (it posts with X6 CPUs but will not boot) - and works very well in XP and win7, but it's a no-go in win98. I think it might have to do with the Nortbridge (more specifically the memory controller) built into AM2+ and AM3 CPUs since I experienced the exact same behaviour when attempting to run win98 on other boards (some AM2+ nforce board and a AMD 760 AM3 board). The AM2+ board worked OK with a 4400+ but I had issues with getting the 6600GT working correctly on said board. Seems to work fine on the nforce 3 after I installed the chipset drivers.

Right now I'm running win98 off a 40GB PATA drive, and XP/Win7 off a seperate 80GB SATA drive - to switch between the two I have to go into bios, set it to boot from the PATA drive, and limit the amount of RAM memory to 1GB. The BIOS allows me to limit the ammount of ram to 1024, 3328 or 4096MB - and it also retains memory shadowing and remapping features seen on older motherboards.

Reply 164 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been able to reach ~ 3.5 Ghz (multiplier 13) on Quad Core QX6700 with Vcore and Vdroop mods. It is quite an achievement as Quad Core requires twice as much juice (aka current) from those poor MOSFETS. It boots sucessfully from 1.45 Vcore, but it needs 1.5 V in order to fully run Prime95.
Probably it will hit 3.6 Ghz with a touch of FSB, but it requires watercooling on long run.

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Filename
    Snap1.jpg
    File size
    123.18 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 165 of 689, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably it will hit 3.6 Ghz with a touch of FSB,

...or you'll just kill that motherboard.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 166 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can't kill a motherboard by increasing FSB. If it's too much it won't boot, that's all.
You can kill it by running too hot, that's why I mentioned watercooling. And this CPU likes to get naughty, it goes 80°Celsius with Thermalright air cooling in full load 3.5 Ghz.

Last edited by exxocet on 2017-06-05, 18:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 167 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
exxocet wrote:

You can't kill a motherboard by increasing FSB. If it's too much it won't boot, that's all.

Yeah.. it will boot and die when you try to test stability in Prime95 or other intensive CPU test.

I'm pretty sure you can melt this MBs VRM under load with QX6700 as CPU, Vcore @ 1,5V and a vDroop mod on top of all that.
So... I hope you got active cooling on those MOSFETs 😁

Last thing : This board wasn't stable enough for me and my OC'ed 45nm Quad Core @ 1066MHz FSB (I didn't do a Vdroop mod tho).

PS. Is that Thermalright a "TRUE" with a high pressure fan (and good CFM) ?
PS2. Why I don't like QX6700 in this board :

3DMark Vantage P-Score mini.png
Filename
3DMark Vantage P-Score mini.png
File size
880.37 KiB
Views
File license

^No voltage mods required 😀

157143230295.png

Reply 168 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
Yeah.. it will boot and die when you try to test stability in Prime95 or other intensive CPU test. […]
Show full quote
exxocet wrote:

Yeah.. it will boot and die when you try to test stability in Prime95 or other intensive CPU test.

I'm pretty sure you can melt this MBs VRMs at Load with QX6700 as main CPU, Vcore @ 1,5V and a vDroop mod on top of all that.

So... I hope you got active cooling on those MOSFETs 😁

Just little aluminium sinks on the VRM. I'm not running on 1.5V daily, it was just for the test as I've finished the Vdroop mod and I was curios if it helps. It does, before Vdroop voltage used to drop -0.1V in full load, now it goes just -0.05V.
Currently I run on 3.2 GHZ (multi 12) and 1.46 Vcore, it keeps temperatures on more decent values. 😊

Reply 169 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The cooler is an old Thermalright XP90 (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article194-page1.html), modified to fit on LGA775. The fan is an variable rpm 92mm Enermax, 2400 rpm max speed. 4 core overclocked is a little bit too much for an old socket 478 cooler. 🤣
Yep, QX6800 and QX6850 are the best choice, but still too expensive (3 times more than QX6700) and QX6850 is rara avis.

Reply 170 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
exxocet wrote:

Yep, QX6800 and QX6850 are the best choice, but still too expensive (3 times more than QX6700) and QX6850 is rara avis.

Well... to be fair, best choise is QX9650/QX9770 - but those are even more rare 😁
QX6700 is the hottest Quad Core in Intel lineup (along with Q6600 rev. B3).
From Perf/$ QX6700 is best, but QX6800/QX6850 are useful when you can't have a big cooler on top.

On that note : I recently bought Mugen II rev. B, to TR 120 Ultra Extreme I already own (both with full accesories kits), just in case I needed something on PGA 478/754 sockets 😀

157143230295.png

Reply 171 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote:
Well... to be fair, best choise is QX9650/QX9770 - but those are even more rare :D QX6700 is the hottest Quad Core in Intel line […]
Show full quote
exxocet wrote:

Well... to be fair, best choise is QX9650/QX9770 - but those are even more rare 😁
QX6700 is the hottest Quad Core in Intel lineup (along with Q6600 rev. B3).
From Perf/$ QX6700 is best, but QX6800/QX6850 are useful when you can't have a big cooler on top.

On that note : I recently bought Mugen II rev. B, to TR 120 Ultra Extreme I already own (both with full accesories kits), just in case I needed something on PGA 478/754 sockets 😀

Sweet. You got some nice gems there. 😀

Reply 173 of 689, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:

QX9650/QX9770 - but those are even more rare

Rare QX9650? What a lovely anekdot.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-SHIPPING … 95-2b3512e7b355

Same thing goes for so called rare QX6850.

Reply 174 of 689, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

You are right... but I meant they are as rare as QX6850 : LINK 😉
Keep in mind, that not all people have access to eBay or aliexpress.

I bought almost all of my CPU's locally (including QX6850 and QX9770 and I live in Poland).
Had to say tho... some prices are simply Stupid for that last one on ebay.

157143230295.png

Reply 175 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Buying old CPUs on extra price from China, on Aliexpress - this is the "anekdot"!
At least on eBay you have some PayPal guarantee of refund.

The Serpent Rider wrote:
Rare QX9650? What a lovely anekdot. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-SHIPPING … 95-2b3512e7b355 […]
Show full quote
agent_x007 wrote:

QX9650/QX9770 - but those are even more rare

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-SHIPPING … 95-2b3512e7b355

Same thing goes for so called rare QX6850.

Reply 176 of 689, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Buying old CPUs on extra price

Nobody was talking about price, it's not good but affordable. More than thousand CPUs in stock on Aliexpress alone are not rare by any stretch of an imagination.

Reply 179 of 689, by exxocet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My 4Core Dual SATA2 R2.0 actually works with Dual channel DDR2 and 8-way Interleave. It might be a thing regarding the chipset, my mobo has VIA PT880 Pro, while on http://www.controsensi.it/Mods/4CoreDual-SATA … ontents_Eng.htm the same motherboard features PT880 Ultra. Now, if there really are differences, Ultra should have been the better version, at least theoretically, but...

Snap4.jpg
Filename
Snap4.jpg
File size
480.92 KiB
Views
File license
Azrael wrote:
the bank interleave option has AUTO value on default. Now in order to summarize: Official bios (2.20)= max 2GB: single channel […]
Show full quote

the bank interleave option has AUTO value on default. Now in order to summarize:
Official bios (2.20)= max 2GB:
single channel (1 module) 2GB memory = AUTO =8-WAY (detected by diagnostic utility from the operating system);

modified bios (2.20a)= max 4GB (3.25 more or less detected based on VGA and agp aperture size value):
single channel (1 module) 2GB=AUTO=4-way;
dual channel 2GBx2GB=AUTO=4-way;
dual channel 2GBx2GB=8-WAY errors occur;

How to know about the increasing performance? x8600 + ddr2 first boot allows the system to start regularly (the step from 4-way to 8-way increases of 420MB/s when MEMTEST86+ is used) After rebooting system is unable to MAP the memory rightly, so the errors occur:

post = single channel (although 2 module od 2GB of ram are installed;
BIOS shows a total ram of 11964MB) and shows the first module value installed of 2048MB, the second module installed of 512MB (although it is a module of 2048MB).

No problems occur when the bank interleave is configured on AUTO or 4-way, problems appears only on 8-way although the memories support 8-way bank interleave.