VOGONS

First post, by bigbernie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gond morning everybody
First excuse my poor English but I'm sure you'll understand me.
An up to date NVidia graphic card + W 10 and some of my old games does not work anymore.
Compatibility Windows mode does not works. Graphic card problem just and only.
Fortunately voodoo2 exist.
About, for instance, The Settlers 4. This game ABSOLUTELY NEEDS on top of Voodoo2 the patch widescreentool
Using a lot of differents screens sizes does needs widescreen. Voodoo2 can do that easily.
Some old games ( 150 or so listed) needs also widescreentool specific patche. Noo patch widescreentool created, no game working.
What woodoo2 AND widescreentool and not only voodoo2 ? Some old games needs specific patches and not only a wrapper.

Thanks a lot

Reply 1 of 4, by stranno

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bigbernie wrote:
Gond morning everybody First excuse my poor English but I'm sure you'll understand me. An up to date NVidia graphic card + W 10 […]
Show full quote

Gond morning everybody
First excuse my poor English but I'm sure you'll understand me.
An up to date NVidia graphic card + W 10 and some of my old games does not work anymore.
Compatibility Windows mode does not works. Graphic card problem just and only.
Fortunately voodoo2 exist.
About, for instance, The Settlers 4. This game ABSOLUTELY NEEDS on top of Voodoo2 the patch widescreentool
Using a lot of differents screens sizes does needs widescreen. Voodoo2 can do that easily.
Some old games ( 150 or so listed) needs also widescreentool specific patche. Noo patch widescreentool created, no game working.
What woodoo2 AND widescreentool and not only voodoo2 ? Some old games needs specific patches and not only a wrapper.

Thanks a lot

The Settlers 4 have, actually, a widescreen patcher. Patch the game with the desired resolution and then use dgV.

Each game needs to be hacked in order to render more stuff, thats not something you can do with a generic patch on PC.

Reply 3 of 4, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Patching a game to wide screen is not about just stretching its output image from 4:3 aspect ratio to, say, 16:9.
That's what a wrapper can do on its own, but rendering at a larger field of view (FOV) involves modifying the projection parameters in the 3D calculations of the game.
It's a black box to the wrapper, and how 3D is calculated can vary game by game, so it cannot be generally solved on the wrapper side.
(The only exception is maybe when a game commits its 3D calcs to the D3D runtime through the fixed function vertex pipeline because D3D then knows about the matrices used.)

Reply 4 of 4, by bigbernie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks

Video cards are dreadful

For instance WHDLoad no need to be hacked. The slaves ( games) can be made by anybody. The soft is universal.
WinUAE ( Amiga to PC ) is universal too
DosBox is also universal.
But about graphic cards is messy.

Good evening.