VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 61 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hotte76 wrote:

Added Conquest of the new World and Capitalism Plus.

Thanks for contributing!

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 62 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Albion, a game I've had on my wishlist for awhile (it's on sale for < 2 bucks). It's a really cool looking Sci Fi RPG that I never played before, but after stumbling on it while browsing GOG, I realized I had to have it. Works perfectly in DOS! This game supports an incredible amount of music options:
Tandy 3-voice, MT-32, General MIDI, ESS, Adlib, Adlib Gold, PAS, GUS, AWE-32, DB50-XG and of course SB Pro/16.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 64 of 164, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"World Rally Fever" added to the list!

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 65 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yesterplay80 wrote:

"World Rally Fever" added to the list!

Sweet, thank you! Is it a good game?

Reply 66 of 164, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

If you're a fan of arcade racing games, than absolutely! I made a video some days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtuk5Mdy8JU

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 67 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yesterplay80 wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

If you're a fan of arcade racing games, than absolutely! I made a video some days ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qtuk5Mdy8JU

Haha, cool, cheers for that 😀

Reply 68 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Haven't updated this project in a long time...

So GOG added a bonus content to their Wing Commander 4 release. It now includes the DOS version!

Had to try it out. The DOSBox config mounts the game folder as C and a subfolder CD1 as optical drive.

All you need to do is copy the contents of CD1 onto a DVD and you have a full installation DVD 😀

Run WC4.EXE from the DVD, it will do the machine test, check your sound card, choose a save folder, test video playback. To later trigger the installation again run WC4.EXE -i.

Perfect release. Thank you GOG!

Reply 69 of 164, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't it like that before? Just burn the CD image to a DVD and run wc -i or whatever?

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 70 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
senrew wrote:

Wasn't it like that before? Just burn the CD image to a DVD and run wc -i or whatever?

Are you thinking of WC3?

WC4: The Price of Freedom, GOG only sold the Windows version. It has nicer video, but you can't play it on a DOS PC. Recently, they added the DOS version as a bonus download.

Reply 71 of 164, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

oh oh yeah, WC3.

Been off my meds for a little bit and finally got everything refilled so I'm still coming back to normal 😀

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 73 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mastran wrote:

Just added Screamer 4x4, System Shock 2 and Rebel Assault.

Great idea this project is.

I'm not familiar with Screamer 4x4, but System Shock 2 is not a DOS game, so it does not belong on this sheet.

edit: yeah, Screamer 4x4 is a Windows game too. 😀 Rebel Assault is a good addition, though. This sheet is for native MS-DOS games, though. Any Win32 game will automatically get a Red color, since it won't be able to run in real DOS.

Reply 74 of 164, by Mastran

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
Mastran wrote:

Just added Screamer 4x4, System Shock 2 and Rebel Assault.

Great idea this project is.

I'm not familiar with Screamer 4x4, but System Shock 2 is not a DOS game, so it does not belong on this sheet.

edit: yeah, Screamer 4x4 is a Windows game too. 😀 Rebel Assault is a good addition, though. This sheet is for native MS-DOS games, though. Any Win32 game will automatically get a Red color, since it won't be able to run in real DOS.

Didn´t know the sheet was for DOS GoG games only, the thing is a have a WindowsME RetroPC and i tough it was cool to test them out anyway
I don´t see the point in limiting the scope though

Reply 75 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the thread title clearly states, so does the first post, it explains the project, and the sheet itself has a massive title as well 😀

This project is really for DOS games release from GOG / Steam, not for Windows. Maybe another time, but not today.

I moved the Windows games to another sheet for a while.

Reply 76 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Might and Magic: World of Xeen. Phil, the ordering of the sheet has been changed. It used to be sorted alphabetically by column A, but now it seems to be trying to be sorted by grade, but not consistently. I didn't want to mess with it in case you had a plan. 😉 Your sheet, I'll let you fix if it needs fixing. 😀

Reply 77 of 164, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
clueless1 wrote:

Added Might and Magic: World of Xeen. Phil, the ordering of the sheet has been changed. It used to be sorted alphabetically by column A, but now it seems to be trying to be sorted by grade, but not consistently. I didn't want to mess with it in case you had a plan. 😉 Your sheet, I'll let you fix if it needs fixing. 😀

Finally gotten around to updating the sheet. I haven't seen many GOG releases lately to be honest and I certainly haven't kept up. My DOS PC desk has been piling up with computer parts 🤣, so yea, I wish I had more time...

Reply 78 of 164, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added Heroes of Might and Magic II: Gold from GOG after watching the game review on Ancient DOS Games. The Gold version is apparently a Windows release according to Moby Games, but the game is packaged under DOSBox and can be made to run under MS-DOS.

First, copy the GOG game directory minus the GOG stuff to your DOS machine:

06/10/2017  08:23 PM    <DIR>          .
06/10/2017 08:23 PM <DIR> ..
06/10/2017 06:24 PM <DIR> DATA
03/08/2010 04:05 PM 951,711 EDITOR2.EXE
06/10/2017 06:24 PM <DIR> GAMES
08/18/1997 01:14 PM 16,626 H2CAMP.TXT
06/10/2017 06:24 PM <DIR> HELP
03/08/2010 04:03 PM 413 HEROES2.CFG
03/08/2010 04:05 PM 1,503,974 HEROES2.EXE
03/08/2010 04:05 PM 528,175 INSTALL.EXE
06/10/2017 06:24 PM <DIR> Journals
06/10/2017 06:24 PM <DIR> MAPS
02/16/2011 10:24 PM 24,402 netbios.exe
08/18/1997 01:07 PM 11,604 POLCAMP.TXT
03/08/2010 05:12 PM 11,803 README.TXT
06/10/2017 06:24 PM <DIR> SOUND

Then burn a mixed mode bin/cue CD from the homm2.gog and homm2.inst files. The MUSIC folder contains the audio tracks in .ogg format. Convert them to .WAV. Use Phil's video tutorial for help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvJuPWutxhc

After copying the files to your DOS PC, insert the burned mixed mode CD, then run INSTALL.EXE from the game directory. That will set the music and digital sources and the game will now run. The game supports both CD Audio and MIDI/FM music options. The CD seems to be required, even if you change the music to FM or MIDI.

I don't have a Windows 9x install handy, but I bet the mixed mode disk will install by running SETUP.EXE (if I try to run it under DOS, I get "This program cannot be run in DOS mode.")

I tested the game on my 486DX2/66 with 8MB. Apparently non-interlaced video requires >8MB, as when I try to change to non-interlaced, I get a "not enough memory" message.

The MIDI music sounds really good on the DreamBlaster S1 😎

The game runs in SVGA and looks and runs very nicely on my DX2/66.