4GB of RAM in a Slot 1 system?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
i386 wrote:
VIA694X/T doesn't support PAE. Even ServerSet LE-3(that has official support for 1GB SDRAM modules) doesn't suppot PAE. But with […]
Show full quote
yuhong wrote:

Even if the VIA 694X chipset can take 1GB DIMMs, I doubt you would be able to use all of it even with PAE enabled. This reminds of AMD K7 which supported PAE but no chipset that actually supported 36-bit addressing was probably ever released (I think API and Hotrail was going to release some before they cancelled their projects)

VIA694X/T doesn't support PAE. Even ServerSet LE-3(that has official support for 1GB SDRAM
modules) doesn't suppot PAE. But with lucky you probably will able to get 3.2-3.5GB of RAM
(1GB x 4) or 3GB(1GB x 3). I guess it is not too bad:)

I thought PAE is a CPU feature, not dependant on the chipset. Or are you referring to the 36-bit addressing yuhong wrote about? Obviously PAE is rather useless if the chipset only supports 32-bit addressing.

Reply 21 of 31, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
idspispopd wrote:
i386 wrote:
VIA694X/T doesn't support PAE. Even ServerSet LE-3(that has official support for 1GB SDRAM modules) doesn't suppot PAE. But with […]
Show full quote
yuhong wrote:

Even if the VIA 694X chipset can take 1GB DIMMs, I doubt you would be able to use all of it even with PAE enabled. This reminds of AMD K7 which supported PAE but no chipset that actually supported 36-bit addressing was probably ever released (I think API and Hotrail was going to release some before they cancelled their projects)

VIA694X/T doesn't support PAE. Even ServerSet LE-3(that has official support for 1GB SDRAM
modules) doesn't suppot PAE. But with lucky you probably will able to get 3.2-3.5GB of RAM
(1GB x 4) or 3GB(1GB x 3). I guess it is not too bad:)

I thought PAE is a CPU feature, not dependant on the chipset. Or are you referring to the 36-bit addressing yuhong wrote about? Obviously PAE is rather useless if the chipset only supports 32-bit addressing.

PAE is a CPU feature, but for using this feature the chipset must be support additional
address lines from CPU side.
33bit - 8GB max
34bit - 16GB max
35bit - 32GB max
36bit - 64GB max
VIA chipset has only 32 address lines from CPU side, and PAE couldn't work.
If a chipset were has at least 33 address lines (even with 4GB max memory support),
PCI/AGP/etc space were possible to move to top of RAM (8GB), and all DRAM memory
were possible to use. But VIA chipset has only 32 address lines from CPU side and PAE
impossible. Even with chipsets that support PAE, board's vendor sometimes probably
has not traced address wires from CPU side and PAE impossible again.

Reply 22 of 31, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't XP enable PAE by default even on VIA chipsets?

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 24 of 31, by i386

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PCBONEZ wrote:

VIA P3 SDRAM chipsets (VT82C694X/T) don't support PAE.

On DDR VIA P3 chipset - I do not know exactly, since I haven't datasheet for it. I guess
it doesn't support PAE also.

luckybob wrote:

I know in 2000 it is usually enabled by default in the server version.

W2000 Advanced Server supports PAE, IIRC. 8GB of RAM max.

Reply 25 of 31, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I studied this PAE stuff like ~YEARS~ ago and I didn't recall any chipset concerns - but he's right.

i386 wrote:
VIA P3 SDRAM chipsets (VT82C694X/T) don't support PAE. […]
Show full quote
PCBONEZ wrote:

VIA P3 SDRAM chipsets (VT82C694X/T) don't support PAE.

On DDR VIA P3 chipset - I do not know exactly, since I haven't datasheet for it. I guess
it doesn't support PAE also.

If the desire is to use PAE to access physical RAM over 4Gb it is pointless to use a chipset that doesn't support over 4GB of physical RAM.
That would be like installing a spare tire carrier on a boat.

The other reasons to use PAE are to enable DEP and/or NUMA.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wind … v=vs.85%29.aspx
That seems to be why XP 32-bit installs it.

i386 wrote:
luckybob wrote:

I know in 2000 it is usually enabled by default in the server version.

W2000 Advanced Server supports PAE, IIRC. 8GB of RAM max.

I upgraded all my W2k-Pro and W2k-S installations to W2k-AS 4 or 5 years ago.
It wasn't about PAE though. There are some drivers and apps that are only supported by the server versions.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 26 of 31, by Jose_Luis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes the chipset VIA694X in my ASUS P3V4X supports until 4GB of ECC memory. The specifications about ASUS P3V4X aren't completed correct because it supports memory modules of 1GB so that you can upgrade it until 4GB not 2GB as described here. The operative system can manage 3GB because it needs to use some addresses for the hardware that's because I've been using 3 memory ECC modules of 1GB, total 3GB. The system works perfectly with Windows 7 Professional 32 bit and the latest BIOS upgrade 1006.004.

Reply 27 of 31, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
i386 wrote:
Support for 1GB memory is not written in datasheet, but it really works. BTW ASUS CU4X-DLS even has official(!) 4GB memory size […]
Show full quote

Support for 1GB memory is not written in datasheet, but it really works. BTW ASUS
CU4X-DLS even has official(!) 4GB memory size support

PC133 SDRAM / VC133 VCM / HSDRAM Support: Equipped with four
Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) sockets to support up to 4GB of memory
using Intel PC133/100-compliant or NEC’s VC133-compliant Virtual Channel
(VC) SDRAMs, and Enhanced Memory System’s High-speed DRAMs
(HSDRAMs).

So does the OEM Intel chipset in my Gateway P2 system. Too bad even the latest Gateway BIOS revision can't see more than 384 Mb.

Reply 28 of 31, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:

Question: While using 4Gb in a P3 system is useful in a server with several clients how is it useful for retro gaming?

I supposed for the diehard who is still going online with their overclocked dual P3 Tualatin, more than 2 GB of RAM might be of interest. My three dual P3 Tualatins all have 3 GB or more RAM, but I ceased operation of my last P3 for online use about a year ago.

Even my wife's laptop with i7 and 8 GB is feeling sluggish online these days. Webpages have become way too resource intensive. I really miss the early DSL days when websites were still optimised for 56K modems - the internet just flew.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 29 of 31, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes I really wonder if the laptop CPUs are even nearly as capable as their desktop counterparts. I run a Celeron G530 (Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz dual core) with 8GB on my desktop, which I bought in late 2011 or early 2012. For internet browsing and office tasks, I have never felt like this system is slow. You would think the laptop i7 would beat the hell out of my desktop CPU which is lower than an i3.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 30 of 31, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also relevant is how different people maintain their systems. I don't maintain my wife's laptop much. The speed feels about onpar with my [maintained] dual-core Opteron 2.8 GHz desktop system from 2005.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 31 of 31, by kev

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah i have a cuv4x-d with 4gb ram then later for some reason only 3gb was showin thinks its just a bad solder joint i need to fix there is also a beta bios for tualatins i have mine modded with compatiblity for coppermine and a volt mod used to run them at 1.8-2ghz on air for years.

just actually upgraded the agp to a HD3850 think i might just for fun mod that 3850 to a 3870 just to say i have the fastest agp 🤣

PS yes it runs crysis and minesweep haha