VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by 8bitbubsy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As pointed out already you're really overestimating the Pentium 1 MMX here. Just because a game "runs on MMX" doesn't mean it runs fine on a Pentium 1 MMX. Newer CPUs have MMX too, so that's probably what you are referring to. There are too many bottlenecks in this system to ever play GTA 3 or NFS MW, it doesn't matter if you have the beefiest PCI graphics card in this case... I think GTA 3 was meant for CPUs of the Pentium III era (or newer), and those motherboards were already much faster, not to mention AGP.

386:
- CPU: 386DX-40 (128kB external L1 cache)
- RAM: 8MB (0 waitstates at 40MHz)
- VGA: Diamond SpeedSTAR VGA (ET4000AX 1MB ISA)
- Audio: SB Pro 2.0 + GUS 1MB
- ISA PS/2 mouse card + ISA USB card
- MS-DOS 6.22 + Win 3.1
- MR BIOS

Reply 21 of 27, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe mobile MMX Pentiums went all the way up to 300 MHz, which is a pretty big advantage over the 233 MHz ceiling on desktops. Wouldn't expect even 300 MHz to run GTA3 at 10 fps playable standards, though.

My big-red-switch 486

Reply 22 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would focus on CPU-motherboard compatibility issues before considering which graphics card. The order of operation here is far from optimal.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 23 of 27, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
8bitbubsy wrote:

As pointed out already you're really overestimating the Pentium 1 MMX here. Just because a game "runs on MMX" doesn't mean it runs fine on a Pentium 1 MMX. Newer CPUs have MMX too, so that's probably what you are referring to. There are too many bottlenecks in this system to ever play GTA 3 or NFS MW, it doesn't matter if you have the beefiest PCI graphics card in this case... I think GTA 3 was meant for CPUs of the Pentium III era (or newer), and those motherboards were already much faster, not to mention AGP.

I think a P55c MMX CPU at max clock would have a difficult time running Half Life 1, regardless of which GPU you throw at it. Anything more demanding is just going to be torture for the poor dear.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
firage wrote:

I believe mobile MMX Pentiums went all the way up to 300 MHz, which is a pretty big advantage over the 233 MHz ceiling on desktops. Wouldn't expect even 300 MHz to run GTA3 at 10 fps playable standards, though.

Iirc the 300MHz ones never came in PPGA package and are not compatible with s7. The 266MHz Tillamooks did come in PPGA s7 package, but there's barely any board that can run em (you'd be better off just overclocking a good P1 233MHz MMX chip).

And I agree with most that's been mentioned here. Upgrading the 120MHz CPU is of way more importance compared to upgrading a GF 6200. Even a Virge could find a faster CPU well worth the upgrade 😜
And I really liked PCI TNT2 M64. It basically just worked. GF MX is also nice, but pretty much waaaay overpowered for a s5.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 25 of 27, by 0101000000110101

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
8bitbubsy wrote:

I'm overwhelmingly aware of those games not being designed for the Pentium 1.
And no, I clearly stated Pentium 1 MMX.
I'm basicially going to modify some of those games to improve performance.

You are all correct that the MMX era was meant for the Pentium iii family, if not the fastest pentium ii, as the fastest pentium ii is near Sony's EE CPU in the Playstation 2 in performance.

I have played GTA III quite a bit on a 266Mhz Pentium ii quite a bit lately, and while the game was a little slow, it was certainly playable. It averaged at about 18FPS, diving down to 10 when things got intense.

Speaking of which, I'm craving to go back for some more GTA III action

1995 Gateway 2000 P5-120
Intel Pentium P5 120Mhz
16MB EDO RAM
1MB Trident 3D capable GPU
250GB Western Digital IDE drive
OS(s): Windows 98/Windows 2000 SP1

Reply 26 of 27, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also have the Pentium Overdrive MMX.
It has all the Voltage Regulators onboard.

Simply set voltage for normal pentium cpu.

Please run a Memory test if you experience crashes.

maybe your video driver is crashing because of using too new instructions.
if you use a geforce wtf or radeon...

there are two versions of mmx, mmx and mmxext/mmx2.
Pentium MMX only has mmx.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 27 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The Pentium MMX Overdrive may be the easiest way out in this case. 200MHz and it should work.
There were also other adapters (made by Powerleap or something??) but those seem to be pretty much unfindable and I'm not sure those will work on his board. Does have the potential to up to 400MHz though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!