VOGONS

Common searches

DOSbox-X Windows major problem - Please help!!!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by SooperWill99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I've been using DOSbox-X and have almost successfully installed several versions of Windows. However, they all have one major problem that makes them completely unusable.
The problem is that S3 drivers crash DOSbox-X and immediately close the application without warning or an error message. On Windows 3.11 for Workgroups, this happens when I try to install S3 graphics, on Windows 95, it happens after "Getting ready to run Windows 95 for the first time..." and a black screen, and on Windows 98, it happens almost as soon as the second part of the Windows 98 setup starts up.
The issue is only in DOSbox-X, as I was able to get through the rest of setup and use it in normal DOSbox.
The issue seems to be discussed here:
https://github.com/joncampbell123/dosbox-x/issues/124
But the issue claims to be fixed. I have run three (Windows) builds, all from 2016, from before and after it was supposedly fixed, but they all have the same problem. 😢
This seems like the best version of DOSbox yet (it actually properly supports CD-ROM!), but I'm so frustrated that I have this huge problem, since nobody else seems to have it. 😠 I am also running Windows 10, if it helps. I seriously doubt this is a hardware issue, seeing as it's able to run other versions of DOSbox properly. I have even looked at the text file "sterr" and I can't make out anything related to graphics. Does anyone have this problem, and does anyone have an idea how to fix this? I would like to be able to actually get this to work.

Reply 1 of 8, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Forget about getting a solution to dosbox-x problems here, all you'll get is snark from passive agressive disdain of people trying to use dosbox running windows and expecting 'direct' hardware access and 'have you tried qemu/boschs/virtual box'. Really, your best chance is a bug report on the dosbox-x github, which is not much of a chance considering how a single guy maintains that codebase.

Reply 2 of 8, by Serious Callers Only

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BTW, i never tried this, but in the interests of 'light' or at least consistent, config file based game package emulation, it might be good to investigate ReactOS running on dosbox, like dosbox runs windows 3.11 or 95, so it might run a more modern 'api reimplementation' of windows.

This has possibilities for things to happen that windows simply couldn't do, like custom rezs, or simpler hardware access or filesystem transparency, while still being 'emulator portable'.

If it works ofc. I wouldn't be surprised to see GoG selling ancient windows games in dosbox with reactos bundled down the line.

Last edited by Serious Callers Only on 2017-06-27, 03:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by SooperWill99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, really...I've tried this before and I've gotten actual help. Is there anybody who knows what's going on with this?
I also tried QEMU but the SoundBlaster emulation seems glitchy.
I'll also check to see if there's any settings that might fix the apparent graphical incompatibility, but I have no idea what's going on.

Reply 4 of 8, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never had luck with with installing win9x in Dosbox-x..
Dosbox-x closes itself when trying to boot win9x.

I use an old version of Daum for that.

But what i can say is, old Windows Versions (before Win95 C) work more stable.
And do not install the IE 5.5 Update, cause it makes the sysem unstable again.

Reply 5 of 8, by SooperWill99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I finally figured it out a few days ago, but forgot to post it. You need to build a config file since it's not present, and set core=normal. You also need to set isapnpbios=true to get Plug N Play working. I got Windows 98 working and it works very well, but I have just one problem: the boot screen is overly stretched so about half of it is cut off and the resolution during it is too large. That's only a minor issue, but are there any fixes?
Also, how exactly do I get network ready on Windows 98 in DOSbox-X? I'm not sure mine is set up completely yet. I've enabled ne2000 emulation, but what else should I do?

Attachments

• boot_095.png
    Filename
    boot_095.png
    File size
    30.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by Sebiohazard

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@SooperWill99:

Hello I am very interested in installing Windows 98 with DOBox X ! Would you be so kind as to explain to me how to do this ? Do you have a tutorial to offer me ?

Currently I use PCem but it is very slow...

Greetings !

PS: if another person knows how to do it I am also a taker 😀

1573296399.gif