Post your 'current' PC

Topic actions

Reply 420 of 642, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

Like mine?
Ok so it's a server case from 2005-2008. But that's about as new as it gets.

Great case. I like simple ones like that, no weird shapes bulging out, or gaudy colours.. 😀

Reply 421 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
Yep, I have a few beige UPS's from 2009-2010, server stuff was made in beige up until about 2009. so its not all to hard to find […]
Show full quote

Yep, I have a few beige UPS's from 2009-2010, server stuff was made in beige up until about 2009.
so its not all to hard to find something that's still usable today.

Its abit of a sleeper. 6 SSD's in raid 10, a 780gtx, 48gb of ram and two 4core 3.6ghz Xeons. Stuff all that in a old beige case with a beige CRT and keyboard, well no one will think its anything worth anything. Oh and its running Vista and doesn't have a power switch but a circuit barker on the back 🤣

Way overkill for me, but why not, I have only about 500$ in the system. Most of witch was the case/psu and SSD's. 1366 server stuff is cheap and 5 years later I'll still have the system. I really only need the power of a P4 so yeah... You can call me Tim Taylor all you want.

Are those i7 xeons? or just older quad core ones?

Reply 422 of 642, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
kithylin wrote:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon … 14005919AB.html

Reply 423 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
kithylin wrote:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon … 14005919AB.html

AWESOME! We'll be xeon bro's soon. After my 3770K died I just last week, I just yesterday finished the sale of my voodoo3's and bought this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262911773210

I have plans to convert both of mine to "normal desktop" backplates and then fit waterblocks on both chips and water cool em. Still negotiating with a seller on ebay to try and get myself a pair of X5687's as well. If you're in the USA and need ram, let me know. I know someone in Florida with a box of it. Hynix DDR3-1333 ECC-REG 4GB sticks with heatsinks. They part-matched for my supermicro board's certified ram list. He has I think 25 x 100% exact-matched sticks left and I'm getting 6 of em from him. If Interested, shoot me a PM and we can talk.

EDIT: Friend sent me a picture.
wQAyUWM.jpg

Reply 424 of 642, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I'm good on ram. Although I thought about switching from ECC to non ECC for the lower timings, nice thing about 1366 Xeons is that they can use both.
Ether way I have 48gb of ram in my system so I'm set for a long time. Oh and my board can use upto 196gb of ram 😲 I don't think I'll be needing that much any time soon. If I change anything it will be the cpu's, I'd like to drop 2 of those rare 4.4ghz Xeons in the system. Or if I'm ready luckily find a set of the Intel ES 4.66ghz Q5C3 Xeons, but they never made it to the light of day outside Intel. I'd bet Intel destroyed all of the 4.66ghz 1366 xeons.

But the 4.4ghz xeon was OME only and a 10K option in what few servers it came with. so I'll be hunting hard to find two.

Reply 425 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:

I'm good on ram. Although I thought about switching from ECC to non ECC for the lower timings, nice thing about 1366 Xeons is that they can use both.
Ether way I have 48gb of ram in my system so I'm set for a long time. Oh and my board can use upto 196gb of ram 😲 I don't think I'll be needing that much any time soon. If I change anything it will be the cpu's, I'd like to drop 2 of those rare 4.4ghz Xeons in the system. Or if I'm ready luckily find a set of the Intel ES 4.66ghz Q5C3 Xeons, but they never made it to the light of day outside Intel. I'd bet Intel destroyed all of the 4.66ghz 1366 xeons.

But the 4.4ghz xeon was OME only and a 10K option in what few servers it came with. so I'll be hunting hard to find two.

Also the 4.4 ghz xeons are dual core chips, fyi. Not sure why you'd want that in a system like this. I'm starting out with quad cores and aspire to later upgrade to dual-hexacores myself.

Reply 426 of 642, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

they're not dual cores. They are a hex core with 4 cores disabled.
With modded bios you can reenable the cores in theory. They disabled the cores as the run of the mill 1366 server boards VRM's cant handle 6 cores at 4.4ghz according to Intel speck.
Plus they have better single core preference without losing the second memory controller.

Reply 427 of 642, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

they're not dual cores. They are a hex core with 4 cores disabled.
With modded bios you can reenable the cores in theory. They disabled the cores as the run of the mill 1366 server boards VRM's cant handle 6 cores at 4.4ghz according to Intel speck.
Plus they have better single core preference without losing the second memory controller.

They're probably disabled at the hardware level, I doubt those cores could be re-enabled, but I would be pleasantly surprised if they could be.

Otherwise my only hope is finding an SR-2 board for some super-high clocked Xeon fun.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 429 of 642, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks retro. Isn't.

http://imgur.com/a/Fn9VZ

Attachments

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 430 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:

Looks retro. Isn't.

So since that's not a blower style gpu.. and I don't see a case intake fan.. how do you manage to cool it? 770's are hot cards.. my EVGA one I had ran like 84c in a well-ventilated case (antec 1200) I could only imagine how toasty that thing gets in there.

Reply 431 of 642, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I second that.

Id opt for removing the Dell logo. Id think it would look a lot cleaner with out it. but keep the logo on the top of the case.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-06-30, 13:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 432 of 642, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Looks retro. Isn't.

So since that's not a blower style gpu.. and I don't see a case intake fan.. how do you manage to cool it? 770's are hot cards.. my EVGA one I had ran like 84c in a well-ventilated case (antec 1200) I could only imagine how toasty that thing gets in there.

Mine's a Gigabyte Windforce one with 3 fans... running Furmark stress test and the highest it reached is 74C. Temps are fine.

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 433 of 642, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Moved to mATX for this build:

fm8SR85h.jpg

Z2a3BPCh.jpg

uZQKZqlh.jpg

Spec-wise it's pretty modest compared to my previous machines, but I've learned it's pointless to spend big money on top of the line hardware nowadays.

Core i7 3770k @ 4.2 GHz
Deepcool Maelstrom 120
Asrock Z77-PRO4m
16gb (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO 2133MHz CL9
Gainward GTX 1070 8GB
Creative Xfi Extreme Audio PCI-E
A-Data Premier PRO 240GB
Hitachi Travelstar 7k1000 1TB 7200RPM 2.5"
Toshiba MQ01ABB200 2.5"
Mushkin 650XP (the old rail fusion model)
Segotep TT Cube Black/Red mATX convertable cube case
AOC 27" 1080p

... but if I think about it a bit, this is no longer my main PC - more like my gaming PC. Since I moved the thing out of my office and in my living room, my most used PC is thins thing:

QcDsYmBh.jpg

tgYgE0Bh.jpg

cvzvNOGh.jpg

The pictures below are a bit old, from when I was still putting it together. It's been modified since then.

Q6600 B0 @ 3GHz (333 x 9)
Tunq Tower 120
Asus P5K64-WS (witch has been repaired 4 times as of last week when it's last original CPU power N-Gate mosfet blew)
4GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz CL9 (2x2GB)
BFG GTX280 + Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme
60GB Corsair SSD
2x250GB WD Caviar Blue + 500GB Seagate + 160GB Samsung Spinpoint
Creative Xfi extreme music PCI
3.5" 1.44MB FDD
Samsung PATA DVD-RW
Corsair VS650 PSU
Chieftec full ATX server case
XP SP3 + Win10x64
Samsung SyncMaster 214t 21" 4:3 1600x1200

Last edited by kanecvr on 2017-06-30, 01:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 434 of 642, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
oeuvre wrote:
kithylin wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

Looks retro. Isn't.

Mine's a Gigabyte Windforce one with 3 fans... running Furmark stress test and the highest it reached is 74C. Temps are fine.

Yeah in that case all the heat's being dumped into it because it's an aftermarket card (not blower) and the case has no intake -> exhaust airflow that I can see... unless it's hidden.. I wonder how hot your poor cpu runs. Looks like you have some exhaust so that's something....

Also, just so y'all know.. kind of on topic but just some general information to share: All of the modern drivers for AMD & nvidia know what furmark is an they intentionally limit the cards when they detect furmark running and won't let it "torture" the cards like it used to. Instead, try the full screen artifact scanner / gpu test over here: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/gputool- … nology-preview/ It's based on the same tech as furmark, and is the same thing but essentially no one knows about it and because of that the drivers don't know to limit when it runs. So it can still push the cards hard like furmark used to back in 2008, before the companies 'got smart' and started limiting via drivers for furmark. It's also a good artifact scanner for overclocking cards. I'm waiting for the rest of the ram to get here before photo'ing my new dual-1366 computer for this thread.

Reply 435 of 642, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 6700K idles in the low-mid 20s and I've yet to see it touch 70C under full load

ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 436 of 642, by DeafPK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use a fairly modified IBM ThinkCentre M55 USFF that now houses none the less than a Haswell i3, MSI mini-itx H97i, one SSD, one 3.5" 4TB harddrive, BD/DVD burner, a Hauppauge Colossus capture card and an adapter for a front-loading ExpressCard slot. The latter ment removing the WiFi card however.
Since the computer was pulled out of a dumpster, the front panel plastic was somewhat broken - so I built a new one using Legos and double sided tape.

qGwW45P.jpg h3El7tr.jpg
1fsxpCO.jpg t095lNL.jpg
ixpFkxz.jpg SkodifP.jpg

"an occasional fart in their general direction would provide more than enough cooling" —PCBONEZ

Reply 437 of 642, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DeafPK wrote:

Since the computer was pulled out of a dumpster, the front panel plastic was somewhat broken - so I built a new one using Legos and double sided tape.

😁

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 439 of 642, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
IMG_20170715_222556140.jpg
Filename
IMG_20170715_222556140.jpg
File size
84.94 KiB
Views
File comment
My Main Desktop - July 2017
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Just gave this hot-rod some upgrades. Also moved some of the better parts from the Pentium D into it, including the Media Bay Reader to continue the Black-on-Beige theme I have going on.

SPECS
CASE: InWin D500 mATX
MOBO: Intel Desktop Board LG775
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo, 3.00 GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR2 800
SATA0: 500GB SSD 6/gbs
SATA1: 160GB SATA 7200RPM
SATA2: DVD-RW +R/-R drive
USB: Media Bay Reader CF/MSD/SD/USB
GFX: Intel Q45/Q43 Express Video
SND: SoundMax INtegrated Audio
NET: Intel Gigabit