Ancient DOS Games Webshow

Topic actions

Reply 2860 of 3343, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gdjacobs wrote:

Hey, still fun running around with your goons fomenting all kinds of destruction.

It's funny you say that, because I'm hooked on it again. 🤣 Conquering the world, taxing the shit out of people, using their moolah to buy sweet upgrades, it's awesome. 😁

Reply 2862 of 3343, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The manual has some awesome flavor text on the rival syndicates. I actually laughed out loud when I read about the Tasmanian Liberation Consortium

Reply 2863 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 214 - Heroes of Might and Magic II is online!

Generally speaking, I dread playing strategy games on the show, but I know I need to cover the occasional one since there were such a huge number of them. This time around though, I was pleasantly surprised by how simple this game was compared to most strategy games, which can be a good or bad thing as a matter of opinion, but it meant I was able to hold my own and see a decent breadth of what the game had to offer, even though I only had about six hours of gameplay in what is otherwise a game with over 200 hours of content. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2866 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolano wrote:

Was a bit disappointed you weren't aware of the similarity / relation with Kings Bounty, but was nice to see it covered.

I didn't even know King's Bounty existed when I made the episode. :o

Goes to show you can know about thousands of DOS games and still have gaps in your knowledge. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2867 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 215 - Home Alone is online!

This game was really short so there's not much to say outside of the video itself. Plus, I'm really tired and need to get some sleep, so... enjoy the video, everyone! :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2868 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 216 - Backlash is online!

This one's... yeah, I keep using the word "interesting" to describe it because really, it's the best word to do so. :P

On the one hand, it's a style of game that's extremely unique and has a lot of pre-rendered graphics and missions for what it is.

...on the other hand, it's basically one excessively long turret section. >_>;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2869 of 3343, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy crap, I remember playing the Shareware of this game... I really loved it for some reason.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 2870 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 217 - Chip 'N Dale Rescue Rangers is online!

So... I chose to play this game entirely on the fact that I was thinking back to my copy of the NES game, which I would play once every couple or three years just for the heck of it 'cause it'd kill an hour and not be too challenging yet still fun to go through.

This DOS version... I find myself wanting so much more as it really is only a taste of what it could've been if more of it were made. What's here is pretty decent, there's just so little of it. :/

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2871 of 3343, by alexsydneynsw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a kid I was confident that if I had a Gravis gamepad and a faster computer - games like Chip & Dale and Tom & Jerry for MS-DOS would be comparable to NES counterparts. How mistaken I was.

Reply 2872 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 218 - Who Shot Johnny Rock? is online! With an unboxing! :D

Actually, since I was already familiar with Crime Patrol I was kinda skeptical going into this one. Crime Patrol was cheesy, but in an uncomfortable way. This one's cheesy in a delightfully fun way, so I'd definitely be OK with popping quarters into one of the arcade units if I saw one!

...this DOS port though... urgh... the instant I saw the video quality and the copyright in-game, knowing in advance this port came out in 1994, not 1991, I immediately looked into what the REAL game looked like and man is there a MASSIVE difference in quality, not just the video and audio but also the gameplay itself. This is definitely a case of a poor port of an otherwise OK albeit brief game.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2873 of 3343, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

...this DOS port though... urgh... the instant I saw the video quality and the copyright in-game, knowing in advance this port came out in 1994, not 1991, I immediately looked into what the REAL game looked like and man is there a MASSIVE difference in quality, not just the video and audio but also the gameplay itself. This is definitely a case of a poor port of an otherwise OK albeit brief game.

What you get out of something designed to run on a 286 @ 16Mhz. It's kind of impressive they were able to get recognizable video at all.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 2874 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolano wrote:

What you get out of something designed to run on a 286 @ 16Mhz. It's kind of impressive they were able to get recognizable video at all.

That said, one has to wonder WHY they wanted to support a 286 in 1994 when the vast majority of PC users had already moved up to at least a 386... or it could simply be that the simplicity of the decoding algorithms and actual functionality didn't require anything fancy and someone was like "I wonder if this works on this old 286" and it did and they were like, "HEY! We can claim a 286 as minimum sys!" so they did.

*shrugs* I can see that happening. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2875 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 219 - Blackthorne is online!

Also, yet another mature-rated episode with a game that starts with the letter B. Seriously, look at the alphabetical list of videos on my website and you'll see that most of the mature-rated ones start with the letters A through E! http://www.pixelships.com/adg/index2.html

In any case, I was never fond of the Prince of Persia games, and I had a lot of requests and gifted games to handle so... this one ended up sitting dormant on my computer's desktop for WAY longer than it should've. Now that I've gotten around to it I definitely like it more than the early Price of Persia games, but it's still not really my thing. Though I totally get why people love this game because it's extremely well designed... despite showing clear signs of being a rushed port. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2877 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ancient DOS Games Episode 220 - Arkanoid is online!

I tried, really, REALLY hard to figure out what was up with the powerups in this game. Heck, I spent two hours straight mapping out powerup drops versus the score values and didn't find a correlation considering I was able to get multiple different kinds of powerups to drop right from the very first brick or two hit on the first level... but that's just way too coincidental that the only time I had a Player powerup drop while recording was with the last three digits in my score being 000. Remember, Taito set a precedent with Bubble Bobble for having powerups being not random and even had certain things tied to the score counter. I'm willing to bet there's more going on with the powerups in this game than we know! :O

...although despite lots of Google searching, I came up with nothing. So if there is a methodology to the powerups in the game, it ain't documented anywhere I was able to find. :P

As for the game itself... I do manage to find some things to talk about other than the powerups, but I do focus on the powerups for more than a third of the video. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 2878 of 3343, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Other powerups that haven't mentioned but i have encounter it on NES version of Arkanoid, is an "electric-field guard".
When you collect that powerups, an electric-like 'wave' would appear at the same height as your Vaus from left to right,
and it would deflect the ball even if the Vaus aren't in the correct location to do so.
The deflection were made as if the ball hit the side walls.

The electric guard will disappear after some time has passed or when its have deflected the ball for a few times, whichever happens first.

-fffuuu

Reply 2879 of 3343, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joey_sw wrote:

Other powerups that haven't mentioned but i have encounter it on NES version of Arkanoid, is an "electric-field guard".

SNES. Not NES. That particular powerup I believe was actually introduced with the SNES version 'cause it's not in Arkanoid II either. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)