VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wanted to play this old game and was wondering would it be easier to go with Dosbox via WinXp or "straight Dos" via Win98 to get it running? See my sig for the Win98 setup. I know that the Live card can be tricky to get working but I'm not too particular about the sound, this game doesn't have "jaw-dropping" audio anyways.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 1 of 13, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go with DOSBox. Is the easiest method by far. Also, the DOS in Win98 isn't 100% compatible with most DOS games. So go with DOSBox.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 2 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Generally everything is easier with DOSBox, yes. Assuming it doesn't require Windows, I don't know why you wouldn't use it.

olddos25 wrote:

Also, the DOS in Win98 isn't 100% compatible with most DOS games.

Assuming you're referring to what you get when you reboot into "MS-DOS mode", I'm not sure where you got that idea, Is there something in particular you had in mind?

Reply 3 of 13, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had nothing in my mind, because it's obvious that the MS-DOS in Windows 98 is not going to be compatible with most DOS games. It isn't the real thing.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:

Reply 4 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
olddos25 wrote:

I've had nothing in my mind, because it's obvious that the MS-DOS in Windows 98 is not going to be compatible with most DOS games. It isn't the real thing.

I assure you the differences are quite marginal. Microsoft went to tremendous lengths to ensure compatibility with older software at the time. If you find software that is incompatible with the version of MS-DOS included with Windows 98 (aside from FAT16 disk utilities) I am sure many people here would be very interested to know more about your discovery.

Reply 5 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
olddos25 wrote:

I have yet to find one example that has problems.

Last edited by gdjacobs on 2017-06-23, 15:13. Edited 1 time in total.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 6 of 13, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
olddos25 wrote:

I'd suggest trying this yourself before stating it as a fact, you'll be surprised with the results.

Reply 7 of 13, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

If you find software that is incompatible with the version of MS-DOS included with Windows 98 (aside from FAT16 disk utilities) I am sure many people here would be very interested to know more about your discovery.

I didn't said so because of the reasons you've mentioned, it's because it's obvious. You can't always provide full compatibility for everything (for MS-DOS games in this case)

Other places to find me:

Reply 8 of 13, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
olddos25 wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

If you find software that is incompatible with the version of MS-DOS included with Windows 98 (aside from FAT16 disk utilities) I am sure many people here would be very interested to know more about your discovery.

I didn't said so because of the reasons you've mentioned, it's because it's obvious. You can't always provide full compatibility for everything (for MS-DOS games in this case)

Please stop spreading misinformation based on things in your imagination that "are obvious" (only to you).

The DOS core of Windows 9x (unofficially known as "MS-DOS 7.x") is just as much real DOS as MS-DOS 6.x, and is compatible with all games.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 9 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
olddos25 wrote:

I suppose someone could conceivably write a DOS program that, say, tries to check the CRC32 of command.com before it runs and then returns an error if it does not exactly correspond to the CRC32 of command.com from MS-DOS 6.22. Except it would be completely absurd to write a program with such an arbitrary requirement and to my knowledge no one in the last twenty years has reported a program in wide distribution that acts in such a way.

Reply 10 of 13, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please, please, don't be so harsh on me just because I don't know certain things.

Other places to find me:

Reply 11 of 13, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's no reason to be harsh. We're all here to learn and share our knowledge.

Maybe it's a subtlety which isn't immediately clear, but it's important to articulate your opinions, experiences, and factual information with independent corroboration differently. For instance, saying Win98's DOS is incompatible is contentious. Saying you don't trust Win98 DOS mode to be completely compatible (but you do trust DOS 6.22) is the just the way you operate without overstating or miss-stating anything.

Saying it that way is the beginning of a conversation.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 12 of 13, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows 98/98SE DOS mode, especially if you reboot into DOS via a customized PIF file, is the "real" thing. I have yet to come across anything that does not work properly. It is one of the reasons Windows 98 is such a perfect retro PC OS. Best of both worlds.

Reply 13 of 13, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guess you're right then.

Other places to find me: