VOGONS

First post, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is it possible to select what soundcard Munt should output sound from, other than when playing songs in the GUI? I tried to select a certain soundcard in the GUI, but it doesn't use that soundcard when I play games in DosBox for instance. I am using Windows 10, and this soundcard I wanted output to is not the default sound. Does Munt output only on default sound, while used in Dosbox?

EDIT: It seems I need the GUI open for it to select the selected sound output. If I close the GUI, Munt will play through default sound device.

Akumajo Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151

Reply 1 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I never thought you had closed the GUI 😀
The GUI is your Roland MT-32 device, if you close it, it's as if you turned it off... Well, not really since you still get it on your default output 😀

(Btw. Munt stuff belongs into MT-32 Development "MT32 Development" in the MDI Emulation category - Hopefully some moderator moves the topic - I don't have moderation power in Marvin)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 9, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Tempus

Oops, that's a miss.

Note, when you shutdown the GUI, a different synthesizer engine starts that is built in the Windows MIDI driver. Although, it is far from being fully compatible with the GUI, I see no reason for not using the DefaultAudioDevice property you set with the GUI. I'll fix that shortly.

However, there is only one Audio API available for the internal synthesizer engine of the Windows MIDI driver, so it'll use that audio device only if its name matches one available for "WinMMAudio" API (a.k.a. "waveout"). Best would be to select in the GUI the device you want that has "WinMMAudio: " prefix.

Reply 4 of 9, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sergey, I wonder how do we configure the settings of Windows Munt driver? Are the settings of Qt Munt shared with the driver, or do we need to use the old inf/ini file method?

Ryzen 2600X 4.2 GHz | Radeon RX 6650 XT 8 GB | DDR4 16 GB | Win10-64 Pro

Reply 5 of 9, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kaminari wrote:

Sergey, I wonder how do we configure the settings of Windows Munt driver? Are the settings of Qt Munt shared with the driver, or do we need to use the old inf/ini file method?

Right, the Windows MIDI driver reads the settings which mt32emu-qt maintains. Obviously, being a light-weight version of the full-featured synth, not all of them have effect but most do. So, when a supported option is toggled in mt32emu-qt, it'll be applied in the driver further on (usually, a restart is the best way to ensure that but many options are re-read and applied upon re-opening the MIDI port).

Reply 6 of 9, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't understand. Was there any conclusion to this? Do I need the GUI open to use a different soundcard than default for Munt or not?

Reply 7 of 9, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tempus wrote:

I didn't understand. Was there any conclusion to this? Do I need the GUI open to use a different soundcard than default for Munt or not?

Currently, yes. Either you set the device you want as the default one in the system or use the GUI app to do the synthesis and output to a non-default audio device.

In a week, I plan to rollout a new release that will incorporate that feature. If you want to participate in testing, this page provides for a development snapshot of a MIDI driver that is able to use another audio device you select with the help of the GUI.

Reply 8 of 9, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded stuff from the page you linked, but as for my computer, there's no change. Output while Munt GUI is not running, Munt outputs to default.