VOGONS

Windows 95 Games

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,I just recently got working Windows 95b in DOSBox SVN Daum with SB16 and Voodoo support.Can someone recommend me any good Windows 95 game to run in here? It doesn't necessarily must have Voodoo support, but better if it has support for it.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 1 of 12, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I played ColinMcRae Rally works fine with voodoo emulation.

Can you test Need for Speed 2 ?
It crashes when SB16 is Enabled in Dosbox.conf

You can also try CROC (demo still for download somewhere in the net)

You can also use nglide with win95 inside dosbox, but only with some builds.

Reply 4 of 12, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I can only recommend not using Dosbox for any Windows 95 gaming.

Thanks for the recommendation, but i won't follow it.

Last edited by olddos25 on 2017-05-24, 22:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:

Reply 5 of 12, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Moved over to DOSBox Games/Apps (so the DOSBox forum moderators can have fun. 😉 )

I thought it belonged to the forum it was originally in,sorry.

Other places to find me:

Reply 6 of 12, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sammy wrote:

Can you test Need for Speed 2 ?
It crashes when SB16 is Enabled in Dosbox.conf

At least Lemmings and Oh No! More Lemmings works in there with MIDI and sound effects fully working(although for some reason the MIDI music crackles a bit).
I'm gonna try that game out right now (oddly enough I also have the PSX version of that game).

Other places to find me:

Reply 7 of 12, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All right, finished my testing. The Voodoo version works until the start of the race and then it crashes back to Windows 95. However, the unaccelerated version will actually crash DOSBox entirely at the same point!

Other places to find me:

Reply 8 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Official DOSBox does not support Win9x. Some unofficial builds may do better, but these forums are for official DOSBox. Don't look for much help here with those builds. Also note that Daum is broken. leileilol is right, you are better served using a VM, not DOSBox.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 12, by Dagar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote:

I can only recommend not using Dosbox for any Windows 95 gaming.

Agreed. You will eventually get page faults that corrupt the install and will require a complete re-install of Windows9x.
I've tried this all before. DOSBox was impressive as to what it could do with Windows 9x, but it is in no way a reliable solution or recommended.

Reply 10 of 12, by Sammy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

PCem or 86Box does emulate a pc for win95 much better then dosbox, but much slower.

In 86box nfs2se runs with voodoo at a playable framerate, slow but playable.

I use win95 in dosbox for testing what happens , some games run, some not.
Tested so far:
RUN: Colin McRay Rally, Croc (demo)
Run Not: Nfs2se, Driver (random crashes).

It is worth a try, but do not expect a stable system.

Reply 12 of 12, by Radio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I don't know about Windows '95 (maybe the first Age of Empires, HyperBlade, Krazy Ivan, Dark Earth, Rocket Jockey, or SimCopter)
but I'd love to see Starshot: Space Circus again. It was one of the first games that required a Voodoo 3dfx card in order to play. That, Forsaken and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. Unfortunately no one has managed to make Starshot playable again.

And what about UBIK? From what I can remember it was W95 compatible. Too bad they didn't make it like in the trailer (natural character movement and all that). The final game came with a lot of bugs... so many that I don't think there was a system capable of playing it right.

Or perhaps X Files: The Game. If you can bypass it's need to install Quick Time the game itself is a gem.
I have a version of Bad Mojo (the original one, not the Redux) that goes through DosBox and it doesn't require Quick Time like it used to. Maybe there is hope for X Files too!