VOGONS

Tulip pc compact 2

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 70, by seob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also check the jumpers on the mainboard. They need to be set acording to the displaycard u use.

IMG_0184.PNG
Filename
IMG_0184.PNG
File size
939.98 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_0185.PNG
Filename
IMG_0185.PNG
File size
659.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21 of 70, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I noticed that as well in the manual, I will check everything tonight. I don think anyone has ever changed the DIPs and jumpers in the system though, but I have to check 😀

I will be on the lookout for somebody capable of doing this, might be a bit hard to find. Maybe a TV shop that has been around for a long time.

seob wrote:

Also check the jumpers on the mainboard. They need to be set acording to the displaycard u use.
<snip>

1982 to 2001

Reply 22 of 70, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No thanks neccesary, it wasn't a lot of work.

I put the jumpers on the card in CGA 40 mode, and also the jumper on the mainboard. I get the same distorted images (and also more beeps during post, but I can't read the screen so not sure if there is an error. This is Norton Commander with the system set to CGA 40:

syzdr5Pl.jpg

This leaves me with 3 things possibly broken (or a config problem), in order of likelyhood:

Monitor
Video card
Cable (unlikely, it looks just fine)

I don't have another EGA (or CGA) monitor or video adapter I think, but will check.

keropi wrote:

Mega thanks for the manual Cyrix200+ , that info was lost in time until now! 😊
And yes, your EGA monitor should support 15 and 21khz, it seems that the sync circuit for 15khz has some issues... is there a technician nearby you can have it serviced?

What happens if you set the card's SW1~SW4 as ON-OFF-OFF-ON (cga compatible) ? Do you get anything on boot?

1982 to 2001

Reply 23 of 70, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The old drive - Pick it up, and evenly smack it on a counter from a height of about 3 inches. Make sure it lands flush.

Plug it back in - I bet it works.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 24 of 70, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

hmmmm
maybe you need to invest in a clone cga or ega card, something cheap just to check if it's the monitor or the card. If something is broken then I hope it's the EGA card since you can just replace it.
The cable is easily checked with a multimeter, should be a straight pin-pin connection. Infact if you have a DB9 cable you can test with it (not a NULL MODEM one)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25 of 70, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good idea, I'd also suggest to stick the EGA card into another old computer, if available.
Just to make sure there's no other hidden compatibility issue (unstable clock signal, etc). 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 70, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately, I have never seen EGA stuff for sale locally and I' m a bit afraid for eBay prices. I'll have a look though.

I have a Hercules compatible card somewhere, but I don't think I can use that for testing right?

Testing it in another system will take some time, but I have more than enough stuff to test with.

keropi wrote:

hmmmm
maybe you need to invest in a clone cga or ega card, something cheap just to check if it's the monitor or the card. If something is broken then I hope it's the EGA card since you can just replace it.
The cable is easily checked with a multimeter, should be a straight pin-pin connection. Infact if you have a DB9 cable you can test with it (not a NULL MODEM one)

1982 to 2001

Reply 28 of 70, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I emailed 'the guy with the huge heap of retro stuff for sale' on our local craigslist (Marktplaats), but he couldn't find the EGA card he was advertising...

1982 to 2001

Reply 29 of 70, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hercules is another beast, don't try it with your EGA monitor. There are some cheap cards on eBay like these, maybe you can grab one to test?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Vintage-TRIDEN … 9kAAOSwcj5ZXxna
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GTI-Graphmaster-Plu … -0AAOSw6ShZSlf8

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 30 of 70, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Well, I emailed 'the guy with the huge heap of retro stuff for sale' on our local craigslist (Marktplaats), but he couldn't find the EGA card he was advertising...

Just sent you a PM.

Reply 31 of 70, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Hercules is another beast, don't try it with your EGA monitor. There are some cheap cards on eBay like these, maybe you can grab one to test?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Vintage-TRIDEN … 9kAAOSwcj5ZXxna
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GTI-Graphmaster-Plu … -0AAOSw6ShZSlf8

Thanks! If I have to guess what the problem is, my first guess is the monitor so am think I'm going to open it up and do a careful visual inspection. I want to check the caps in there as well, although my guess is that they are fine.

One of those cards is a 16 bit ISA, would that work?

1982 to 2001

Reply 33 of 70, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

^ yes it will though the 9pin port it has

The PC onli has 8 bit ISA slots, will that 16 bit ISA card work?

1982 to 2001

Reply 34 of 70, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I opened the monitor today, everything is very clean, nothing defective noticable. The same for the card. I also used a multimeter to check the cable, all pins are connected. I'm guessing it's the monitor.

1982 to 2001

Reply 35 of 70, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cyrix200+ wrote:
keropi wrote:

yes, these old cards work fine in both 8 and 16bit slots
I would still try another EGA card before messing with the monitor - just to be sure.

Reply 36 of 70, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:
keropi wrote:

yes, these old cards work fine in both 8 and 16bit slots
I would still try another EGA card before messing with the monitor - just to be sure.

Thanks, good to know! Yes, my plan is to try all non-invasive options before messing with the monitor (or adapter). Now if I could only borrow a CGA/EGA monitor or adapter somewhere...

I tested the adapter in another system, just something I grabbed from the shelf. Turned out to be a TX chipset based motherboard with a Cyrix PR200MX CPU 😀 Lovely 😀 Same issue though, so it doesn' t seem to be a problem with the Tulip PC itself.

MyhujCKl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 37 of 70, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does the monitor have any H.HOLD potentiometers? Either internal or front/back? Maybe it worths to mess a little with them (mark their original position first so you can revert!) and see if fixes things. Maybe you have 2 sets of H.HOLD like my Hyundai EGA monitor:

uZA0EPrl.jpg

Apparently I is for 15khz and II is for 21khz. Give it a shot!

Reply 38 of 70, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:
Does the monitor have any H.HOLD potentiometers? Either internal or front/back? Maybe it worths to mess a little with them (mark […]
Show full quote

Does the monitor have any H.HOLD potentiometers? Either internal or front/back? Maybe it worths to mess a little with them (mark their original position first so you can revert!) and see if fixes things. Maybe you have 2 sets of H.HOLD like my Hyundai EGA monitor:

uZA0EPrl.jpg

Apparently I is for 15khz and II is for 21khz. Give it a shot!

Nothing on the outside, but I opened up the monitor and found a lot of pot meters inside. I need more documentation before trying anything. H.HOLD was not one of the potmeters I saw, but there were a few that were explicitely labeled 15khz.

1982 to 2001

Reply 39 of 70, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you made a list of the pot names?
Thing is that since there are no outside pots then 99% it's not a case of one being set wrong... it even points out to a fault in 15khz sync section of the chassis but in order to be sure you must test either with another ega or another ega system that is verified to work OK...