VOGONS

First post, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd like to play around with a Pentium 4 PC I have but it is so bloody loud that I don't really want to. It uses an unbranded, 13 year old fan which spins quickly. Has anyone modded a larger, slower fan (and heatsink) to fit onto Socket 478? I have either a 3GHz HT P4 or a 2.4GHz older one.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 1 of 11, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Use a better CPU cooler and stuff a new, quiet 80 or 90mm fan. Measure first.

Another way to keep it quiet is to keep it off 😜

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 2 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found the stock Intel HSFs of that era to be too loud for my tastes. Best is to replace it with some retail CPU HSF that has better cooling and acoustics properties.
Also it may help to use an ATX case that is easier to cool, preferably with something like at least a 12cm exhaust fan and having the back part of the case (the part with all the tiny holes or the honeycomb part) removed with a hacksaw or something (do sand the sharp edges!). Having a PSU with 12cm fan will also help a bit here.
Resonating parts in the case also cause sound pollution and the harddrive may also contribute to excess sound.

There are lots of ways to quit down a rig, but the best way to remove excess sound is by preventing it altogether 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 11, by TandySensation

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I usually do is attach the positive lead of the fan to 12v and the negative lead to 5v so the fan runs with 7v. This will spin the fan fast enough to cool... usually 5v is too little.. but it cuts the speed down a lot so it's quiet. I recommend using thin wire to connect the 3 pin fan connector to one of the connectors on the power supply so that you don't have destroy anything by cutting/stripping wires. I've been doing this for years with CPU and case fans to keep the noise down as long as the systems stay cool enough to be safe.

Try that and keep an eye on things under load or buy a better cooler for it.

Reply 4 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Find a Zalaman CNPS 7000 or a thermalright xp-90, there are other coolers but they are not as common. The Intel stock coolers have always been regarded as trash because they get too hot and the fan noise annoys most people.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 5 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heatpipe cooler with a 120mm fan.

The Dell desktop computers of the P-IV era were nice and quiet due to them using a very nice for the time heatpipe cooler and a variable speed temperature sensing fan.

The stock Intel coolers have been absolute trash since the P-IV era. The only cure it to replace it with something better.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 11, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Heatpipe cooler with a 120mm fan.

The problem is that there don't seem to be many if any aftermarket S478 coolers available to buy new or second hand (ebay UK); I have a couple of 120mm vertical coolers available but they're all S775 and beyond. So I might have to make my own way to mount one...

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 7 of 11, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Zalmann made good aftermarket 478 coolers. I used to own own a couple years back.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 8 of 11, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm watercooling..
or fill the case with concrete, put it on the sidewalk and watch some funny things 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 9 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Research the good coolers from the era and keep a look out on ebay or Amazon, I've got old coolers from both.
I cant remember my shortlist now, but after a few months got a brand new Scythe Mugen 2 RevB 2 years ago.

Reply 10 of 11, by Oldskoolmaniac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

use thermo glue and stick a water cooler straight to that cpu and overclock the piss out of it, my 3.4ghz p4 is at 3.9GHz stable with really cool temps at max load.

Motherboard Reviews The Motherboard Thread
Plastic parts looking nasty and yellow try this Deyellowing Plastic

Reply 11 of 11, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This one is quite nice and quiet:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scythe-SCNJ-2000-Ninj … n-/162607333500

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article893-page1.html

And if you could find that socket478 mounting piece* separately, I'm convinced you could make even Ninja 3 or 4 fit, which are much easier to find than the Ninja 2...
(*: check picture on box in the ebay link)

OR, perhaps this one below (me not tested), as at least it is available in the UK, AND without the silly shipping costs from the US....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zalman-Ultra-Quiet- … w-/162585874864