VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sandi1987

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Should i use DOSBox or Windows 98 in VM?

Reply 1 of 7, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dosbox. VMs usually don't emulate soundcards very well .

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 3 of 7, by kenrouholo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VMWare also has no video drivers for 9x, so you're looking at 2d only. Not a big deal for most DOS games but you'll have very little luck playing any Win98 games. You can find videos about people supposedly installing some driver with VMWare or Virtualbox, but ignore them, I've tried it and it's just a bunch of crap.

So yeah, Dosbox between the two

Yes, I always ramble this much.

Reply 4 of 7, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just get a nice Pentium M laptop if space is really an issue. Emulators and virtualization are a poor replacement for real hardware.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 6 of 7, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kenrouholo wrote:

VMWare also has no video drivers for 9x, so you're looking at 2d only. Not a big deal for most DOS games but you'll have very little luck playing any Win98 games. You can find videos about people supposedly installing some driver with VMWare or Virtualbox, but ignore them, I've tried it and it's just a bunch of crap.

I find it strange that one of the most obvious for a VM, running Win98 software, is the one with the least support.

"Run Windows 7, 8 and 10!"

" I can already do that on real machines. I want to run Windows 98, which is no longer practical on current systems."

"Sorry, we don't support that."

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Just write a damn video driver for it. It can't be that hard for them,

Reply 7 of 7, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VMWare is mainly for corporate stuff. Win 9x, on ther other hand, is a consumer's product.
I assume that's why there's little interest in supporting it specifically.
Basic compatibility incl. 2D graphics is provided, after all.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//