VOGONS

Windows 10 Dosbox

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 31, by Radio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

Something on your system (videocard drivers ?) on windows 10 isn't very compatible with DOSBox.
This is not a common problem, as most of us use DOSBox on windows 10 without a problem.

I've tried compatibility mode with every available Windows, but the result is still the same.
And I don't think it's the drivers either, because ever since I bought my new system I've changed my drivers several times and all of them seem to handle the problem with the same way.

It must be something with the system itself. This ASUS G752 I have came with a ROG Gaming Center program within the Windows themselves. This program helps me monitor the system's temperature, create different profiles for gaming, some new kind of V-Sync called G-Sync and many other features for GPU and sound card.
One of those things must be responsible for the pauses I'm experiencing in DosBox, especially since you're telling me that this is not a common problem with Windows 10 users.

And before you ask, yes I've tried disabling G-Sync, no luck!

Reply 21 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Disable everything in "Startup" in task manager and reboot. If issue fixed then slowly go through "startup" and re-enable until you encounter the issue again.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 24 of 31, by Radio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried everything, including what DosFreak suggested but the problem persists. I even tried updating Windows 10 to version 1709 hoping that they'll recover the old "disabe desktop composition" option in compatibility mode, but nothing. Why is it doing that? Why did DOS games ran so seamless in Windows Vista and now they have this delay thing? What's the difference between those two? I'm thinking maybe it's not a Windows issue but something that has to do with all these ASUS ROG programs my machine has.

Reply 25 of 31, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As I said earlier in the thread, I've had the same graphical issues as you in the past, but I've found ways to avoid them. Right now, I'm using the latest plain SVN build of DOSBox with output=overlay. Try that.

Reply 26 of 31, by Radio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Osprey wrote:

As I said earlier in the thread, I've had the same graphical issues as you in the past, but I've found ways to avoid them. Right now, I'm using the latest plain SVN build of DOSBox with output=overlay. Try that.

And how am I supposed to rip the DosBox from all the GOG games that I have and put this SVN build? GOG installs a specific DosBox with all the settings and the only thing I can change is Dosbox.conf. And then there are about 300 (and more games) that I got from http://www.old-games.com/. They don't require any installation, but they run through a .bat file named START THE GAME.

Reply 27 of 31, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How am I supposed to know that my solution wasn't suitable for you? Since I took the time to even give you one, you could've at least said, "Thanks, but I'd rather try to solve it without changing anything about DOSBox because I have a large GOG and illegal 300+ game collection that I can't modify."

Reply 28 of 31, by Radio

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Osprey wrote:

How am I supposed to know that my solution wasn't suitable for you? Since I took the time to even give you one, you could've at least said, "Thanks, but I'd rather try to solve it without changing anything about DOSBox because I have a large GOG and illegal 300+ game collection that I can't modify."

I don't mean to be disrespectful and certainly I don't except to have the solution straight from the sky. I've tried a lot of options and I've made several modifications to my system, but none of them seem to do the trick. The SVN you propose is something unknown to me. I'm not an expert in DosBox like you people, that's why I'm asking for your help.

Reply 29 of 31, by olddos25

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please, please, there is no need to be hasty.

Just another user that likes old OSes and videogames, nothing interesting to see here...
Other places to find me:
DraStic: http://drastic-ds.com (as dsattorney)

Reply 30 of 31, by DanutzC

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Although this problem has been identified under Win10 I am also experiencing it under Win 8.1. I am not running games with Dosbox, only using it with Clipper compiled and linked executable applications. Even I am not enlightened which could be the solution to this problem, here are a few observations which may be of help. There is no need to run any task to turn Dosbox window to black. Simply test this: open Dosbox, minimize it, switch the focus to any other window/icon on the desktop, then maximize the Dosbox and here you are. The darkest window you've ever seen, cold as ice, not responding to any kb input. By contrary, if you minimize and maximize it repeatedly, no matter how many times, WITHOUT switching to another window, you'll have the Dosbox fresh and clean, capable of receiving all your inputs.