VOGONS

First post, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I have this P4 s423 build with a SB0060 Live Value inside. I'm running Windows ME with the unofficial service pack 2.02. The "Sound Blaster Live! Install (VXD 4.12.01.0905 + WDM)" image from VogonsDrivers thought it would be wise to install the WDM drivers, didn't even ask. While the card worked, I would get huge lag and framedrops in Heavy Metal FAKK2 and Thief Gold. By manually updating to the 09/2001 WDM drivers ("Sound Blaster Live! Value/PCI 512/5.1 Sept 2001 WDM", VogonsDrivers) the situation improved, the framedrops reduced, but not dramatically. Setting the games NOT to use HW sound acceleration/EAX, they were running silky smooth. Was going to keep the 09/2001 WDM drivers, but when I tried to play Jazz Jackrabbit and experienced choppy/stuttery crap instead of sound, I wanted to experiment a bit. Sure, this isn't a box for DOS games, but it gave me the feeling that something was broken. Today I uninstalled everything, installed everything from the CD and then forcefully switched to the VxD drivers. All stutter is gone, SB16 emulation works fine, EAX2 doesn't cause in-game lag and the whole toolkit of Creative still works. I have yet to encounter a single problem with them. Am I missing something (i.e. a setting), or WDM drivers aren't suitable for this kind of build? Any cons for using the VxD drivers instead of the WDM?

Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 2 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Early WDM drivers usually have problems. VXD is the way to go.

It's the same story with other Creative cards. Even the Audigy 2 has VXD drivers as an option and they are the best choice on 9x or Me ffor gaming.

Reply 3 of 3, by colpoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Which VXD driver version did you install? VXD 4.12.01.0905?

Does this version recognize the SB0060 natively without modding the .inf file?

RetroPc I: Asus P3V4X - PentiumIII 1000MHz - 256MB Ram - Geforce3 Ti 200 - SLI VoodooII 12MB - Aureal Vortex2 - HDD 80GB - Win98 SE
RetroPc II: Asus P5A - K6-2 333MHz - 64MB Ram - Geforce2 MX - Voodoo 4MB - Soundblaster AWE64 - HDD 13GB - Win95