VOGONS

First post, by RkivOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm really new here so I wouldn't know if this is already brought up, but a nice alternative for an early-2000s gaming OS in my experience is Windows POSReady 2009. It was initially meant for cash register computers and other lightweight tasks like that, but I've had it installed on my Dell Dimension 2350 for a year and it works like a champ on that old, frail machine. In my experience, it's faster than traditional XP on the same machine 10-13 years ago when it was still being used from day to day, perhaps because it's so lightweight.

So, basically...

Pros:
- Lightweight and very speedy
- Based on Windows XP, same driver support and basic compatibility
- Supported by Microsoft until 2019, traditional XP support ended in 2014

Cons:
- Administrative tools like Disk Administrator, Cleanup and Defragmenter aren't installed. You need to boot from the CD and go through the command line to make partitions.
- No support for Windows 95/98 Compatibility Mode, unlike XP.

So I would recommend it. Has anyone else here experienced Windows Embedded POSReady 2009?

Reply 1 of 17, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you legitimately buy it for a desktop computer? Does the license even allow it to be used for consumer desktop computers, running consumer software, such as games?

Last I checked, only OEMs can buy licenses, so unless you're a large scale PC builder, nope.avi.

Reply 2 of 17, by RkivOrange

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was able to get my copy on the Internet, along with a product key, then burnt it to a CD-R. I don't know if this makes me lucky, other computer geeks showed their PCs with POSReady 2009 on YouTube, and I don't think they're OEMs.

Reply 4 of 17, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I still say the best legal option is to install Windows XP SP2 using the product key that is likely placed on your laptop/OEM desktop somewhere. SP2 is a lot lighter than SP3 so it's better for gaming than internet usage.

Thinkpad T42 Win9x Drivers | Latitude D600 Win9x Drivers
Next: Dell Inspiron 8000

Reply 5 of 17, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Assuming you ever bought a PC that came with a Windows XP license. I skipped straight from Windows ME to building my own PCs and buying my own OS licenses to go with them, and never affixing the sticker. And then I started buying Macs. And now I don't have any money, but my computers are fast enough to last me for years from now.

Seriously, though, you could probably buy an old PC with a bundled OEM XP license for cheaper than buying a fresh OEM license now.

Reply 6 of 17, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can change one registry key on an existing XP desktop install to make it present itself to Windows Update as "POSReady", and it will get all the updates that MS issued for POSReady. No need to install a special custom version. It's a hack that's been publicized shortly after MS discontinued desktop XP support, and many have been using it with great success. I have not heard of actual issues arising from using it.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 17, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kode54 wrote:

Assuming you ever bought a PC that came with a Windows XP license. I skipped straight from Windows ME to building my own PCs and buying my own OS licenses to go with them, and never affixing the sticker. And then I started buying Macs. And now I don't have any money, but my computers are fast enough to last me for years from now.

Seriously, though, you could probably buy an old PC with a bundled OEM XP license for cheaper than buying a fresh OEM license now.

Buy a laptop from the 2000s, any laptop, most still have their XP product keys on them. XP SP2 was the single most common license for PCs during that decade.

The best part about XP SP2 product keys is they never seem to expire, unlike SP3 keys...

Reply 8 of 17, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can use POS Updates on XP with Registry hack, so its no need for embedded 2009.
Or use Windows Fundamentals with this Hack.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 9 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

I have 2 system at work useibg sead hack. Not the best idea. It works but sometimes it will fail to install updates and you have to manually remove all files for the update abd try again.

Reply 10 of 17, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've tried teh POS hack on several systems in the past few years, never had issues with it.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 11 of 17, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
oeuvre wrote:

I've tried teh POS hack on several systems in the past few years, never had issues with it.

.net installed?
It tends to be .net updates that cause problems.

Reply 12 of 17, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have a dell then finding one of the billion DELL XP restore CDs with XP on them would be a better choice.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 13 of 17, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

Buy a laptop from the 2000s, any laptop, most still have their XP product keys on them. XP SP2 was the single most common license for PCs during that decade.

The best part about XP SP2 product keys is they never seem to expire, unlike SP3 keys...

So, this may be a stupid question because I have been out of touch with this sort of stuff, but relevant because I am gathering things to do an XP build.... what about activation of these old keys? Does MS care anymore where it's out of support, or do you have to call to get it activated..? I have several machines/cases with XP keys on them....

Reply 14 of 17, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use a Windows XP Service Pack 2 OEM install CD, first of all. I don't think Retail would work. I have tried Product Keys from Dell, IBM, Lenovo, HP, Compaq and probably a couple others, those old XP SP2 keys always work.

For a long time, internet activation still worked. Lately though, it hasn't been very reliable, so instead I do phone activation. It's a lot easier if you are calling from a smartphone, because Microsoft can text message you a mobile browser-based activation method. You type in the long serial the XP activation window displays, then you get back a verify serial to type into the XP activation window, then boom, XP is ready to go.

Comparatively speaking, my one XP SP3 Product Key did actually expire. I've never seen an SP2 key become expired.

Oh, forgot one thing. Although 90% of 2000s PCs will have XP SP2 product keys on them, the stickers themselves won't specify the service pack version. You pretty much have only the copyright year to go by, which for SP2 is usually 2004.

Reply 15 of 17, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check around..
I think there's a pile of old Dell Optiplex towers in the basement... have to see if any have a key circa 2004.

Reply 16 of 17, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
notsofossil wrote:

I still say the best legal option is to install Windows XP SP2 using the product key that is likely placed on your laptop/OEM desktop somewhere. SP2 is a lot lighter than SP3 so it's better for gaming than internet usage.

During bulk trash month, I find old computers on the curb fairly often (I'd find more if the scrappers didn't take them for the metal). In years past, I've brought a bunch of them home. One had XP SP2 on it and I gave it to someone. I couldn't get Halo to install on it. Angry Birds didn't work either. I also couldn't get the emulators ePSXe, Nostalgia, DeSmuME and a couple others to run. No error message, they just never opened a window. I even tried to update it to SP3, but that wouldn't install either.

Reply 17 of 17, by notsofossil

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using an old XP SP2 install is not the same thing as using the product key sticker to install a fresh XP SP2 setup. Ideally you'll need a plain XP SP2 OEM install CD, but vendor-specific versions are ok if they match the vendor on the product key sticker, I've done that for an HP and a Dell in the past. The only downside is useless software is usually bundled.