Topic actions

Reply 180 of 209, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very impressive Rating/Usage! 😎

About on par with a Sandybridge i3 too.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 181 of 209, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 440bx system with a 1400-S clocked at 150x10.5, ASUS P3B-F 1.04, and 2x256 PC133 ram running at tightest ram settings possible (2-2-2-0)

Attachments

• 7zip.jpg
    Filename
    7zip.jpg
    File size
    424.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 182 of 209, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I put this in the first post, but I wanted to put it here too in case people didn't notice:
Please do not reorganize the spreadsheet, sort by different columns, etc. If you want to do this, download it and change your copy of it.

I've had to restore a previous revision a few times now because the chart is either missing a bunch of data or is so crazily re-sorted that it's easier to restore than fix.

Thanks.

Reply 183 of 209, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've moved this thread to Software. There are lots of old CPUs tested so it fits fairly well here, and I feel the thread will get buried away in Milliways.

Reply 184 of 209, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added results from a Pentium D 945 overclocked to 4.25 GHz

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 185 of 209, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Neat thread. I notice there's already an entry for two of my machines (i5-2500 and PIII-450), but I added two more:
An i5-3450S I have in my media PC

and...
A Raspberry Pi 3. Yeah, wrong architecture, but it can still run 7zip, so it's fun to see the difference. I put the type as 'single board computer', but if anyone thinks it should be some other categorization, I'm okay with that.
EDIT: Nevermind, I saw a post earlier in the thread asking, so I switched the type to ARM.

EDIT2: So I notice the new entries weren't sorted back into the list. Is that because they are new, or was it turned off? I temporarily put a filter on column 1 to check for existing CPUs, but I turned it back off again after. That shouldn't have had any permanent effect (especially on sort).

EDIT3: I just remembered, I still have a Pi Model A+ in a bin I was planning to use for an ill-fated project. I benchmarked it too.

Reply 186 of 209, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey zerker,

Thanks for adding results! Usually, I'll just right-click and add a row in the correct place, then type the results in. But sometimes people just put them at the bottom, and when I notice this, I'll sort the sheet by column H in descending order.

And feel free to add duplicate results. Especially if there's a significant difference, it may be of interest if you list the chipset, RAM speed or any overclocking.

Reply 187 of 209, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, both looked to be within the realm of error, but maybe I'll add them later. I did notice the compress speed for the existing PIII-450 is an abnormally low 0.5 (mine, for reference, was 349). Looks like entry error.

However, 7zip defaulted me to running with 8 MB dictionary on Win 98 and I forgot to change it. so I'll have to re-run the PIII benchmark before it could be included.

Reply 188 of 209, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zerker wrote:

I did notice the compress speed for the existing PIII-450 is an abnormally low 0.5 (mine, for reference, was 349). Looks like entry error..

Nice catch. I'll have to go through the revision history and see if I can spot when it was originally entered. It may have been accidentally changed at some point afterward.

EDIT: I traced that result back to June 12, 2016. Carlos S. M. entered it, and it was that way from the beginning. So I have no way of correcting it. Carlos, if you see this and you have some record of the actual score, would you mind correcting it in the database?

Reply 189 of 209, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
clueless1 wrote:
zerker wrote:

I did notice the compress speed for the existing PIII-450 is an abnormally low 0.5 (mine, for reference, was 349). Looks like entry error..

Nice catch. I'll have to go through the revision history and see if I can spot when it was originally entered. It may have been accidentally changed at some point afterward.

EDIT: I traced that result back to June 12, 2016. Carlos S. M. entered it, and it was that way from the beginning. So I have no way of correcting it. Carlos, if you see this and you have some record of the actual score, would you mind correcting it in the database?

Sadly, i lost track of that result (my main computer died + didn't keep track of the old benched system) and the Tekram motherboard i used sadly died, so no way to rebench until i get a new Slot 1 440BX motherboard, i removed the broken result, will retest once i get a new motherboard.

I typed this from my laptop (i7 5500U) without any data practically

Reply 190 of 209, by zerker

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah. I realized why 7-Zip wanted to benchmark with an 8 MB dictionary size. My machine only has 192 MB of ram, and a 32 MB dictionary size benchmark takes 420 MB.

The highest I can go is 12 MB, so let me know if you actually want that benchmark, or if you'd prefer to pass in order to keep the results more easily comparable.

Reply 191 of 209, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@zerker

If you want, you can put those results in the DOS version of this, which in addition to running in DOS, requires only 8MB RAM. Here's the thread:
7-Zip Benchmark, DOS Edition
It's intentionally set to a 256KB dictionary size so it will run on processors as slow as 386. It may even run on a 286, I don't have one and no one here has tried yet.

But yeah, the results on this chart need to be consistent with 32MB dictionary size.

Thanks.

Reply 192 of 209, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just installed 7zip v9.20 on a Win98 socket-7 machine.
Unofficial score - not added to spreadsheet due to wrong dictionary size

Pentium MMX 233/66, VIA MVP3 chipset (Tyan S1590), 256MB PC100 CL2 - 16MB dictionary size
Compressing: 138 MIPS
Decompressing: 142 MIPS
Total: 140 MIPS (ran twice, same results each time)

Reply 194 of 209, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

4960X @ 4,8GHz :

7-zip mini.png
Filename
7-zip mini.png
File size
116.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A tiny bit faster than 5960X...
Pretty good, if I can say so myself 😀

157143230295.png

Reply 195 of 209, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Dual Haswell-EP 10-core QFSC M0-stepping Xeons.

These are either quality samples for a canceled SKU or for Amazon's custom E5-2666 v3. Love how CPU-Z identifies them as Intel Core. 🤣

Unfortunately they do not have HT or this score would be significantly higher, but they are still a beastly pair.

dj32hMNh.jpg

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 196 of 209, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added my new main CPU, i7 3770K overclocked to 4.8 ghz

Used DDR3 1600 CL9 and a ASUS Z77-A motherboard

Reply 198 of 209, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
okenido wrote:

Which value (MIPS - there are several) do you take for the spreadsheet ?

It's in the first post of this thread.