Story behind your avatar?

Topic actions

Reply 181 of 252, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:
Jade Falcon wrote:

Etherway my block list will be getting bigger.

Publicly bringing up that you're going to block someone makes you look like an ass, y'know?

He's just announcing why he won't be acknowledging any of our posts going forward. See? Nothing of value was lost!

Reply 182 of 252, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Decided to go ahead and change mine to an animation I made a while back of the Packard Bell logo. 😁

Here's the full quality version: small_packard_bell_face_of_technology_gif_by_mad_king_corduroy-d8m144y.gif

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 183 of 252, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Decided to go ahead and change mine to an animation I made a while back of the Packard Bell logo. 😁

What'd you use to make it?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 184 of 252, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

That's cool!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 185 of 252, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

What'd you use to make it?

Just Blender and GIMP. Turned out pretty cool eh? 😁

Reply 186 of 252, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nicely done, King_Corduroy! 😀 So cool...

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 187 of 252, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yeah, for what you can do with completely free and open source tools.

I used Blender and GIMP to make this thing for Unreal 1.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 188 of 252, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote:

Also very cool! I'd drive one of those 😈

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 189 of 252, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DracoNihil wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

I tried making 3D objects of around this simplicity for another game, but I just can't get to grip GIMP or Blender. I guess it's just not my cup of tea? GIMP and me like to argue a lot, I wouldn't call it a healthy relationship 😒 (especially when we argue about alpha channels........)
Blender, I can't seem to produce basically anything. Same with 3dsmax back when I had a copy of it.
Nicely done 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 191 of 252, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

It's an awesome feeling to make 3d art then see it live on a PCX2. Just saying 😀

Well, I know that feeling from messing around with 3DO Editor (for TA) and doing things like swapping textures and editing weapon loadouts and effects, mixing up several mods into a single one, trying out undocumented stuff etc. It's a kick! And sometimes (after having done lots of work on something, with perhaps a couple failures mashed in) it's a full blown "YEAH!!!!1111" 😁

But I found GIMP (and Blender) to not be very intuitive and even the simplest concepts like simply wanting to edit only an alpha channel to be excrusiatingly over-complex with lots of (imo) meaningless steps, which would've been much easier if I could just edit an alpha channel like it's a BMP or something, then putting it back. I don't want to have to mess with layers if I'd rather split up my chores and I don't like to have to spend hundreds of hours learning how a program works (bumping into a couple weird bugs on the way), just so I can do 2 hours of actual work with said program. In that case I'll just skip to modding something that takes less effort for more result. And yes I really tried, but these programs are bulky and non-intuitive imo.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 192 of 252, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
I tried making 3D objects of around this simplicity for another game, but I just can't get to grip GIMP or Blender. I guess it's […]
Show full quote
DracoNihil wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

I tried making 3D objects of around this simplicity for another game, but I just can't get to grip GIMP or Blender. I guess it's just not my cup of tea? GIMP and me like to argue a lot, I wouldn't call it a healthy relationship 😒 (especially when we argue about alpha channels........)
Blender, I can't seem to produce basically anything. Same with 3dsmax back when I had a copy of it.
Nicely done 😜

Lol Thanks! 😁 I've been messing with blender for years though so that's why I was able to do anything with it, honestly though I hate that they really changed the interface a while back. I mean sure it seems to have a lot more controls now out in the open but as a result I also have no idea where most of the old controls went. 🤣

Here's some other things I've done in it:

2008_7_28_scifiholoroom_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjjnox.jpg
(2008 - Rendered and modeled using an old Pentium 4 Thinkcentre)

2009_2_5_computer_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjjnos.jpg
(2009 - Obvious interest in old computers forming, iirc I had just bought my IBM PCjr for 10$ around this time. 😁)

2009_8_31_gothicarches3_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjjnoo.jpg
(late 2009 - Playing with lighting and textures)

2010_10_7_castle2_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjjnok.jpg
(2010 - Better use of texture and lighting to form a more cohesive scene)

2011_3_14__bugglergrill_2_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjjnod.jpg
(2011 - Revamp of an old car design I made based on the 2CV and VW Beetle, although in this version it's mainly just a slightly changed 2CV)

Haven't really touched it since then but my focus has always seemed to be on texture and lighting. Most of the old renders I have (and there are lots) are just render tests for experimenting with lighting and materials.

Reply 193 of 252, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Excellent stuff, King_Corduroy! 3D modelling is one of those things that continues to be well beyond my reach. I have a lot of respect for those that can make it work for 'em.

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 194 of 252, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know a bit of Maya and Cinema 4D but usually put stuff together in Unity 3D cause I find it way easier... but that's just me. I need to further delve into Cinema 4D at some point.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 195 of 252, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forgive me for my thread necromancy but I feel like announcing that I have a new avatar on the forums here!

It's mostly the same as my really older avatar I made for Steam several years ago, only this time I actually made a original flag (the emblem of The Mutineers, a faction in my Unreal story-arc) and I chose a different pose for the model I use, and only my sidearm equipped rather than two weapons at once which is impossible to display in Unreal 1.

The avatar on the forums is a 8-bit PNG saved in ultra nostalgic "web-safe" colours!

Here it is in 24-bit jay peg glory:

newkynikosavatar.jpg
Filename
newkynikosavatar.jpg
File size
25.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 196 of 252, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Avatar... well, way back in the day I had an Interact Cyclone 3d joystick.

That is where my screen name came from. And I decided to put it up as my avatar.

How lame is that?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 197 of 252, by AmiSapphire

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not much, just grabbed this off an old PC Chips BIOS EEPROM that I had lying around. Full image, rotated 90° clockwise below.

Attachments

• burnning.jpg
    Filename
    burnning.jpg
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Views
    File license

Site update: cwcyrix.duckdns.org -> cwcyrix.nsupdate.info due to the former no longer working.

Reply 198 of 252, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Screenshot from Conquests of the Longbow. Me and my brother played and talked about that damned game for years, I even went and read a bunch of the books in the bibliography (Kristy Marx read a ton of books leading up to the game) when I was in middle - high school. Just a lot of fond memories.

Also, I like the name Kynikos. (from google) - Greek kynikos, literally, "like a dog" : a person who distrusts people; especially : one who believes that people act only in self-interest. I would have used that name from myself if I knew that word 😵

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 199 of 252, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm now the Samsung SpinPoint SV0511D HDD I picked up last week.

IMG_7144b.jpg
Filename
IMG_7144b.jpg
File size
354.8 KiB
Views
File license