Common searches

Bought this (Modern) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 600 of 2072, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wasn't able to repair my 790FX Asus board, so I've been checking a daily eBay search for various CrossFire-compatible chipset-based boards for literally months. After watching board after board sell for £50+ (or faulty ones not worth taking a chance on) I hit the jackpot. It was listed as 'untested' as it apparently came originally as part of a job lot. Luckily for me, it works perfectly!

20170806_18162650.jpg
Filename
20170806_18162650.jpg
File size
553.82 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Only set me back £30 (retailed for £250 when new) - the final piece of the puzzle in my AM3 build.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 601 of 2072, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought an Asus P8P67-Evo (LGA 1155) board that was broken, some pins were messed up in the corner. It was cheap and came with the full retail box/manuals, so I figured why not.

Got it today. Looks like 3-4 pins bent not bad. But the real kicker is that 1 pin is totally broken. So... anyone know where I might pay $$ to repair this? Definitely out of my skill set. I've emailed Asus and hopefully their repairs aren't that expensive. I know Gigabyte charges $40 or so.

Reply 602 of 2072, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:

I bought an Asus P8P67-Evo (LGA 1155) board that was broken, some pins were messed up in the corner. It was cheap and came with the full retail box/manuals, so I figured why not.

Got it today. Looks like 3-4 pins bent not bad. But the real kicker is that 1 pin is totally broken. So... anyone know where I might pay $$ to repair this? Definitely out of my skill set. I've emailed Asus and hopefully their repairs aren't that expensive. I know Gigabyte charges $40 or so.

With some luck, the missing pin might be just a ground spot, and if it is, the board will usually work without one of them.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 603 of 2072, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aideka wrote:
dexvx wrote:

With some luck, the missing pin might be just a ground spot, and if it is, the board will usually work without one of them.

It is a ground spot (unless I'm reading the SandyBridge pin layout wrong), but I would still like Asus to repair it.

Unfortunately, if Asus declines, does anyone know some third party shop that might do it?

Reply 604 of 2072, by kode54

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Asus will just as likely bin it and replace it with a whole new board. You wreck those LGA sockets, the whole board is as good as toast. Go ahead and try to scam the RMA system with your secondhand dead board, though.

Yeah, I know someone with experience trying to "repair" broken LGA sockets. Any attempts to repair them resulted in horribly unstable systems. Basically, any bent pin or broken pin, the whole board is basically scrap.

Reply 605 of 2072, by kithylin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kode54 wrote:

Asus will just as likely bin it and replace it with a whole new board. You wreck those LGA sockets, the whole board is as good as toast. Go ahead and try to scam the RMA system with your secondhand dead board, though.

Yeah, I know someone with experience trying to "repair" broken LGA sockets. Any attempts to repair them resulted in horribly unstable systems. Basically, any bent pin or broken pin, the whole board is basically scrap.

This is probably going to open a can of worms.. as viewpoints on this differ from person to person. But personally I, myself, have no qualms or issues what so ever with trying to RMA potentially broken (or even known broken) second-hand hardware to a company. If their RMA policy and untrained support techs allow it through then it's entirely on them and their problem with it. I'm of the opinion myself that the company should know how to detect 2nd hand hardware, or at least have some sort of original documentation, or original registration period requirement, or at least something to prevent it (a lot of companies do). OR at the very least train their support staff better to detect it from the get go and deny RMA's initially for it. And so if they don't do their own due diligence to prevent that sort of thing.. it's entirely their problem if it's allowed through. I don't consider anything about it 'shady', or negative, or anything. If the company allows it then it's a fully legal, legitimate thing that's normal for X, Y, or Z company. If they don't allow it then they don't.

That's just me though.

Reply 606 of 2072, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kode54 wrote:

First of all, I'm not some desperate scumbag willing to cause a ruckus to get free RMA's.

Second, I emailed Asus and asked them how much the repair would be flat out. They quoted an absurd $100, but they said it could be cheaper if I bring my board in.

Third, repairing a broken socket is extremely easy, the problem is you need the right equipment (idk what that baking thing is called). It takes a long time, but relatively low man-hours (mostly just letting it bake for solder/desolder).

Forth, repairing bent pins is easy, depending on how the pin is bent. I have repaired two GA-Z97 with maybe a dozen bent pins. All but two of them look perfect. Passes Prime95 torture 24H and 3DMark Vantage loop overnight. The other one looks perfect except for 1 spot. Same deal with stability.

Reply 607 of 2072, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

One idea is to take the board to a jeweler and asked them to solder a peace of gold on the remains of the pin.
They may also make a complete mess of the board too. So if it works before hand use it as is.

I know I soldered a sliver of gold onto a broken lga pin before. Not fun but is can be done.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-08-10, 04:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 609 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kode54 wrote:

What a marvelous idea. And you can even take them on Judge Judy when it doesn't work!

I just have to say that you seem intent on starting issues with other members in just about every thread iv seen you post in.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 611 of 2072, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
ODwilly wrote:
kode54 wrote:

What a marvelous idea. And you can even take them on Judge Judy when it doesn't work!

I just have to say that you seem intent on starting issues with other members in just about every thread iv seen you post in.

Agreed. Just one of the manny passive aggressive trolls on this site... wait was I just passive aggressive there 😕

Anyway i got 4 300gb WB raptor drives today. And a 700w ozc fatal1ty psu, some low rpm scythe fans too.

Reply 612 of 2072, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
ODwilly wrote:
kode54 wrote:

Agreed. Just one of the manny passive aggressive trolls on this site... wait was I just passive aggressive there 😕

Anyway i got 4 300gb WB raptor drives today. And a 700w ozc fatal1ty psu, some low rpm scythe fans too.

Lol I am glad to see you still on and contributing Jade! Your posts are valuable and fun to watch enfold. Ya lots of annoying passive aggressive trolls on here lately, but it is always mildly entertaining to watch the drama enfold. In between reading valuable information on relative threads of course haha.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 613 of 2072, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't see how kode54 is a "passive aggressive troll"...

I sense some favouritism\cronyism abound... bleh.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 614 of 2072, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jade Falcon wrote:
ODwilly wrote:
kode54 wrote:

Yes you were. Think about everyone on here who read what you said and wondering if you're insinuating that about them.

I've put my foot in my mouth many a time, but I try to follow Thumper's advice as much as I can.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 615 of 2072, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought an Asus STRIX GeForce 960 4Gb to replace my GeForce 750Ti. Not too big of an upgrade, but I had the upgrade fever, and while I would have wanted a Radeon RX570, it would take till Vega gen.2 until the price comes down to a sane level 😜 . It helps that I got a good clocker though, i was able to get the memory up to 8GHz, which seems to be the norm, but also got the core up by 120MHz, which seems to be really good with the STRIX model.

Last edited by Aideka on 2017-08-11, 23:06. Edited 1 time in total.

8zszli-6.png

Reply 616 of 2072, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

I don't see how kode54 is a "passive aggressive troll"...

I sense some favouritism\cronyism abound... bleh.

Cause the a$shat said:

kode54 wrote:

Go ahead and try to scam the RMA system with your secondhand dead board, though.

When I literally emailed Asus asking how much repairs are.

dexvx wrote:

I've emailed Asus and hopefully their repairs aren't that expensive. I know Gigabyte charges $40 or so.

So yes, very troll in that context. Also the guy does not know anything about repair sockets or is willfully ignorant. We change IC's on our components at work all the time with a heatgun. Would need something on a slightly larger scale for a CPU socket.

Reply 617 of 2072, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An HP EliteBook 8440p I scored off eBay... won the auction last second. Total price of all the parts was just about $100, including getting a 128GB SSD and genuine HP power adapter. Has 1600x900 + NVS 3100M processor. Runs nicely. http://imgur.com/a/ZoqFJ

Attachments

• LEqWgdN.jpg
    Filename
    LEqWgdN.jpg
    File size
    600.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 618 of 2072, by havli