The Yamaha OPL YMF718-S chipset.

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 60, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Anonymous Coward

I opened up the SetupSA.exe in a text/hex editor and noticed the following strings:
"winpath" "winpath95"

system files mentioned:
"\system.ini" "\dosstart.bat" "c:\autoexec.bat" "C:\CONFIG.SYS" "CONFIG.BAK" "Himem.sys"
other files mentioned:
"opl3sa.ini" "opl3sa.bak" "OPL3SA.Drv" "test.ymh" "rec.ymh" "message.tbl" "SETUPSA.EXE" "SACDROM.SYS" "DWCFGMG.SYS"

You can maybe hexedit "winpath" to something else and force SetupSA to use opl3sa.ini instead.

It suggests there are two additional parameters instead of just /S:
/I and /M. Function unknown. Maybe /N too?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 41 of 60, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the behaviour of the software must indeed vary according to which operating system is installed. When I have a moment I will attempt to hexedit setupsa as you have suggested.

Very interesting that you pointed out there are additional parameters available for setupsa. However, do to the poor documentation online, I doubt we will ever be able to determine what they actually do.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 43 of 60, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never bothered with the softsynth. Quite sure there is no DOS version of that software, DOS is not a good OS for making softsynths (as TSR's).

You might want to consider an Internal or External hardware synth.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 47 of 60, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They've hidden all the access points but they mirrored it across when they updated their website.
http://device.yamaha.com/en/lsi/download/

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 49 of 60, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
samudra wrote:
Consequently I find out this card is made by Addonics Taiwan and find the generic drivers for this chipset on the Yamaha website […]
Show full quote

Consequently I find out this card is made by Addonics Taiwan and find the generic drivers for this chipset on the Yamaha website.

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/lsi/d … load/index.html

Image of the config utility:

1719ef5821914.gif

The website has changed and the chipset is no longer listed there, and no downloads.

I'd really like this utility. Do you know the file name or could you upload the driver package?

Reply 51 of 60, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote:

Follow my link above. Yamaha just moved the files.

Thanks!

Got sound out of it, but sound effects in Doom are breaking up. Like some weird gargling effect. Synth sound is very pleasant however.

Is there something else I need to disable to fix the sound effects?

[EDIT]
Maybe it's reverb... It sounds awful.

Reply 52 of 60, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I recently bought this card Yamaha OPL3SA2 YMF718-S.
2usvm8j.jpg
I want to use it in a MS6309 Motherboard with 1x 16-bit ISA slot (slot is a little bit longer than the card but I guess this is normal?).

I reinstalled Windows 98SE and the card was automatically installed with WDM drivers, however no sound (headphones plugged in to speaker output).

Then I downloaded and installed the Yamaha drivers from Phils Computerlab, went very fast without problems. The device was then recognized as "YAMAHA OPL3-SAx Sound System" and I got some control panel but still no sound in DOS or Windows. I also ran the SETUPSA.exe in DOS (added to autoexec.bat) and it said correctly configured. No errors whatsoever.

What am I doing wrong because I'm thinking the Speaker output of the card may be broken (however it was sold as working) ?

Reply 53 of 60, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I checked with the vendor and he told me it's not possible to use headphones with this card. Only active speakers work in combination with this card.

Did not know sound cards like this exists..

Reply 57 of 60, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tested it on my Yamaha YHT1810 Home Cinema (suppose this qualifies as an amp) by a cinch/RCA cable and to the 3.5 mm SPKRS output on the card .
Looks like my card is correctly detected in Windows & DOS (can run SETUPSA.EXE and amend settings).
However still no audio output in Windows98SE (checked all volume settings-also advanced) or DOS.. Suppose this card is broken or am I doing something wrong?

Reply 59 of 60, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dries_86 wrote:

I tested it on my Yamaha YHT1810 Home Cinema (suppose this qualifies as an amp) by a cinch/RCA cable and to the 3.5 mm SPKRS output on the card .
Looks like my card is correctly detected in Windows & DOS (can run SETUPSA.EXE and amend settings).
However still no audio output in Windows98SE (checked all volume settings-also advanced) or DOS.. Suppose this card is broken or am I doing something wrong?

If the setup works with another 1/8" audio source, yes you'd have to do some further troubleshooting. Know anybody with an oscilloscope?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder