VOGONS

Post your Packard Bell computers here!

Topic actions

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just saw the post "Show me your HP!" and thought that was a great idea, but as a Packard Bell collector I'd be more interested to see people's Packard Bell machines. 🤣

So go ahead! Post a pic and the specs, plus whatever mods you've done to it since you go it. 😁

I'll probably be posting mine here as well in the days to come but I'll start it off with my most recent acquisition:

Last week I picked up this Packard Bell from a woman who had it laying around and was going to send it to the crusher, luckily she saw my video on a similar machine and offered it to me first. 😁

Year: 1995
Model: Legend 812CD

CPU: 100mhz Socket 5 Pentium 1
RAM: 8MB
HDD: 850MB
Sound: ISA Aztech Galaxy Washington 16 Sound / Modem Combocard (Midi sounds weak as fuck on this card for some reason!)
Original OS: Windows 3.1
Current OS: Windows 95

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjp7hi.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjp8je.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjp8no.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbjp8lz.jpg

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 77, by harddrivespin

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a packard-bell keyboard and mouse. That's it in terms of PB stuff.

Honestly I don't think PBs are really that interesting other than some of the ones that have cool cases and the unreliability of PB hardware in general.

Reply 2 of 77, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Honestly I'm beginning to think the unreliability is a bit of a myth, every Packard Bell I've come across has only needed minimal work if any. I mean sure it was quirky hardware that often acted a little funky but Packard Bell certainly wasn't the only one doing weird things at the time. And yes I know I've heard a million times from people that "I was a tech back in the day and I fixed these more than any other machines". That may be, but they also sold a lot of machines so it might be just due to sheer volume imo. I've not run into a single one that needed anything more complicated than a new HDD or a new PSU and most of them worked perfectly after sitting for many years unused. I myself had a Packard Bell tower that lasted in daily use until 2008 when I was an idiot teen and threw it out cause I bought a "new" Pentium 4 IBM. Ugh still regret that. 🤣

Reply 3 of 77, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No longer have a packard bell machine but here's one I used to have a few months ago

http://imgur.com/a/cnpQE

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 5 of 77, by dries_86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I still have this Club 2600 RW running strong after about 17 years.
The weak point was the integrated video card (Intel 810 chipset). The lady in the shop where we bought it told me it has "3D effects" which I interpreted as it includes a 3Dfx Voodoo 3 which was reasonable at the time.
I didn't really see the specs in advance as my parents bought it for me.

However it was quite a disappointment games were only playable at 640x480 low detail. The board lacked an AGP slot but I could have added a PCI graphics card but didn't have the money at the time.

Specifications:
Case
Type Squarius II, micro-ATX
Slots (total / Available) 4 / 2
Slots PCI 3 / 2
Slot MR 1 / 0
USB Ports 2 (1 Back / 1 Side)

Processor
Intel Celeron 600 MHz Socket
Type Socket 370
Chipset Intel i810

RAM
Size 64 MB upgradable to 512 MB. Dynamically shared with integrated Video Card
Type SDRAM 100 MHz

STORAGE
Hard Drive Quantum Fireball Hard drive 15 GB, Ultra DMA-66
Floppy Disk Reader 3 ½ " 1,44 MB
DVD-Rom Reader 16x
CD-ROM Reader 32x

SOUND
Integrated 16-bits sound card Sigmatel AC'97 Codec

VIDEO
Video Card Intel i810 VRAM DVMT (Dynamically allocated)

COMMUNICATION
Modem Data / Fax / Conexant 56 Kbps, V90

$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG
$_57.JPG

Last edited by dries_86 on 2017-08-20, 09:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 77, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice! I had one of the similar ones a while back but the PSU exploded and since the American versions lack the Face logo I just tossed it. 🤣

Year: 1998
CPU: Celeron of some sort

Don't remember much else about it unfortunately.
untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbkmhjj.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbkmhkx.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbkmhmb.jpg

and when I mean the PSU exploded I literally mean it caught fire. 🤣

Reply 7 of 77, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Almost brand new (100-120 hours). Had to replace a few caps on the mainboard, changed the Radeon VE (7000) to an FX5700 and upgraded the RAM to 512MB PC133 SDRAM. The CPU is an Athlon 1100, Thunderbird if I'm not mistaken.
Still uns on the original Windows ME install from 2001.

0IHpxxk.jpg

Reply 8 of 77, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holy crap! I'm totally jealous! 🤣 I wish they hadn't stopped selling them over here. I'd kill to have a Pentium II or better Packard Bell.

Reply 9 of 77, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:
Nice! I had one of the similar ones a while back but the PSU exploded and since the American versions lack the Face logo I just […]
Show full quote

Nice! I had one of the similar ones a while back but the PSU exploded and since the American versions lack the Face logo I just tossed it. 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbkmhjj.jpg

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbkmhkx.jpg

I remember these cases. I thought they were kinda terrible but I really liked the motherboards.

Did you toss the motherboard?
I actually once salvaged a MS-6159 out of a Packard Bell tower which had a PSU that according to its (now previous) owners also caught fire. They basically told me in such a way that it was a goner, it was toast and it was old and dead. The PSU was a mess I remember, didn't even bother to open it up I think, most likely tossed it along with the filthy case.

The MS-6159 that came out of that tower case (for some reason a webpage showed a desktop case but mine was definitely from a tower case...or my memory must be corrupt but I never take desktops anyway) turned out to still be alive though, but the board has always had a weird POST where it needed a long time before continuing to post and work flawlessly for a number of years. It was my Celeron 400 rig and that motherboard was the center of it.
Your s7 SiS board looks like another one that I used in a build (model number was 850 or something, but with the SiS 5598 chipset and 4 SIMM slots, I also have a version with 2x DIMM slots), but I guess you tested the board and then tossed all of it? Or do you still have the board?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 77, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No I tossed the whole thing months back unfortunately. Sort of wish I hadn't but it was kinda junky after all and I mainly just collect the face logo Packard Bell machines.

Reply 11 of 77, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nothing special mine. This was a PC repair job I was asked to do, but the owner couldn't afford to buy a new PSU and so essentially discarded the whole PC as a lost cause. 😲

It was used for sometime as a bedroom PC, but now sits gathering dust mostly and as you can see from the picture it needs a bit of cleaning.

It's most recent usage was as my sole Hackintosh and used for early-mid 2000s Mac OS X gaming.

zUZICAe.jpg

Spec:

Packard Bell iSTART 2380
Biostar MCP6PB M2+ Socket AM2+ Motherboard
AMD Sempron 3500+ @ 2.0GHz (Overclocked to 2.7GHz)
2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM (Underclocked to 533MHz)
200GB SATA HDD
Nvidia GeForce 6150 SE 128MB Onboard Graphics
Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE 128MB PCIe Graphics
Onboard Sound
Onboard Ethernet
1x CD/DVD Re-Writer

Not an amazing spec and I realise I could easily upgrade the CPU, but it is presently able to outperform my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0GHz in many areas - so much so that I actually prefer this Hackintosh for OS X gaming. 🤣

Reply 12 of 77, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice! Almost bought one of the iextreme ones off ebay not too long ago, but changed my mind on it. Some of the Core 2 Duo era ones are quite cool looking. 😁

Reply 13 of 77, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Very nice oeuvre! Too bad you didn't keep it, did you sell it?

Thanks! I did sell it, even with shipping made a $100 profit.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 14 of 77, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
oeuvre wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

Very nice oeuvre! Too bad you didn't keep it, did you sell it?

Thanks! I did sell it, even with shipping made a $100 profit.

Ah good, I was hoping you'd say that and not that it got scrapped 🤣

Reply 15 of 77, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Nice! I had one of the similar ones a while back but the PSU exploded and since the American versions lack the Face logo I just […]
Show full quote

The motherboard seems to be a socket 7 one.

Reply 16 of 77, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was, super socket 7. The CPU seemed to be glued in too which is a little odd. I'm probably thinking of Cyrix not celeron. 🤣

Reply 17 of 77, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

It was, super socket 7. The CPU seemed to be glued in too which is a little odd. I'm probably thinking of Cyrix not celeron. 🤣

Glued in?? That's weird 🤣, but sometimes those heatsinks get stuck really good by cooked TIM, some of the print on top of the heatspreader may even come off along with the TIM 😵
Mine came with a Cyrix MII-300 (233MHz actual speed).
Your board is a Socket 7 btw, not a Super Socket 7...or at least it was 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 77, by tizzdizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice machines guys! My family's first PC was a Packard Bell Legend 20CD. I've never seen that exact model anywhere, but if I ever do it'll be hard to resist. It was a 486 DX2-66, with 4 megs of ram and a 420MB hard drive.

Keep the posts coming!

Reply 19 of 77, by orion83uk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone.

My first post. Couldn't find an 'introduce yourself' bit on the forum, and I couldn't resist posting to this thread 😀

Admittedly, I don't own any retro/vintage hardware, but do take a keen interest, and have been following this forum for some time for general information and reading.

As for this thread, my first PC was a Packard Bell. I'm based in Scotland, so we never got the 'Legend' branding. Instead mine came under the name "Executive Multimedia" (but was otherwise identical looking to the USA Legend systems). It was a Pentium 75MHz, 8MB RAM, 850MB HD. In amongst the massive amount of software those old Packard Bells use to come with, we got the game Descent, which I still play (and Descent II) on DOS Box to this day. I sadly don't have this machine anymore, and massively regret ever having got rid of it - it still worked perfectly the day we got rid of it 6 years later.

I do however own a newer Packard Bell which I use as my daily driver, and I thought would be fun to share to show how things have changed.

General Info:
Model: iMedia S3810
Year: 2010 (just about to turn 7 years old)
Originals Specs: i3-550 3.2GHz, 3GB DDR3 RAM, integrated i3 graphics, 500GB HD, Windows 7.
Current Specs: i3-550 3.2GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM, nVidia GT 730 Zotac (passive cooling), 128GB SSD + original 500GB HD, Windows 10.

##EDIT: SKIP ON 4 POSTS FOR THE PICTURES - DAMN YOU PHOTOBUCKET!##

20171204_223159.jpg

20171204_223353.jpg

20171204_223227.jpg

20171204_223249.jpg

20171204_222443.jpg

20171204_222427.jpg

I'll add this, these 1st gen Intel i3's really are cracking wee processors!

Last edited by orion83uk on 2017-12-07, 15:13. Edited 1 time in total.