Common searches

What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 940 of 5920, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes the SMS did pretty well here in Australia and had a crazy run of success in Brazil from memory. I do have an NES too and it's a great 8 bit, but I only keep that around for Super Mario 😀

Regarding other SMS games - Wonder boy 1 and 2 are great (never tried III), California Games is the best version available IMO, Double Dragon, Ecco the dolphin, Phantasy Star, Enduro Racer, Kung Fu Kid, Ninja Gaiden.

Lots of bright, colourful, fast paced action to be had but I do wonder how much nostalgia has to do with my enjoyment of it - I suspect that my lack of interest in the NES is simply down to the fact that I didn't have one as a kid.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 941 of 5920, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ScoutPilot19 wrote:

Ohh ! I used to have a Sega Master System/Power Base in my childhood - dad bought it around 1987. I had only 5 catridges - Grand Prix, Thunder Blade, California Games, Space Harries and some kind of footbal.... And Super Hang-on was built in)

Wait, did you say 'Thunder Blade'? I remember playing the DOS version. It was one of the game I managed to go quite far, despite the lack of save feature.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 942 of 5920, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Wait, did you say 'Thunder Blade'? I remember playing the DOS version. It was one of the game I managed to go quite far, despite the lack of save feature.

Hahah, this game was the first one I remember 'obtaining' off a quasi-legitimate BBS. I thought the arcade version was cool, so when I saw it in the filelist, it seemed like a good use of 20+ minutes at 1200bps.
At least I learned a valuable lesson about contemporary arcade ports for the PC. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 943 of 5920, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been playing Shadow Caster for a few weeks now and am getting close to finishing. One cool thing that just happened is I found an Easter Egg that is apparently undocumented on the internet. At least I haven't been able to find reference to it in my searches. On level 21 (Lava Tunnels), there is a hidden room that had a "Royal Book" in it. When you read the book, it displays the game credits. Weird thing is, once I read through them once, I could not read the book again, so it's now an inventory item that can no longer be used (I'm holding onto it in case I can do something else with it later or in the endgame). I reported it under Trivia on MobyGames, but not sure they will accept it without some sort of documentation that it exists. They have only my word to go with, as I'm playing on real DOS so couldn't take a screenshot. I guess if I have to, I can load a save game prior and navigate back to that point and take pics with my phone.

EDIT: I found a Let's Player that finds this book too! It's in the first one minute of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLV1OoU65fo&l … 5BEDE6&index=18

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 944 of 5920, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I’ve developed a surprise addiction to Super Tennis on the Sega Master System, which is a shameless knock off of ‘Tennis’ on the NES. I’ve had a copy of it since the early naughties but never played it, having sold my SMS years earlier by that point. First impressions aren’t great - you’re presented with a very dull looking options menu with way too many settings to choose from; 3 option categories with 3 sub-options each (a,b,c) and then an ‘opponent skill’ level (1-5). These options make a big difference to the gameplay so it took some trial and error to find a combination that was enjoyable – this works for me:

C
B
A

Once that’s out of the way you’re treated to a really challenging, fast paced tennis game with enough variation to make it interesting, but which never cheats you with unfair A.I or bad collision detection. Your little opponent will mix it up (play the baseline and attack the net) and make occasional, believable errors, and there’s a real sense of reward for effort. If you can stay focused and win 2 sets, a friendly Japanese lady appears and says something like “Congratulations, you are amazing!”.

That’s exactly what I need to hear in these weary times 😀

EDIT:

Friday night at the tennis:

P1030038_zpsw3hzoaxz.jpg

Reply 945 of 5920, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@badmojo -- that looks super fun!

I just started Strike Commander CD (changed my avatar to celebrate). Playing on my DX2/66 and using the MT-32 for music. This is a pretty sweet experience so far. By far the best MT-32 music I've personally heard (Nenad Vugrinec was an MT-32 genius!) This game is a little more challenging than Wings of Glory and Pacific Strike. Controls are extremely responsive, and getting the hang of bombing runs in a fighter jet is tough. I did play and beat this back in the day, but 1993 was a long time ago! Don't remember many details, so it's almost like playing it for the first time.

Reply 946 of 5920, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doing the Baldur's Gate city quests before I head out to do some Tales of the Sword Coast stuff..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 947 of 5920, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Doing the Baldur's Gate city quests before I head out to do some Tales of the Sword Coast stuff..

Such an awesome game. I went through it not too long ago and it was probably my best overall RPG experience ever. I think I'm going to do BG2 after I finish my current game.

Currently starting the Alaska missions in Strike Commander CD. I'm slowly working my way up the killboard:

strike1.jpg
Filename
strike1.jpg
File size
2.65 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 948 of 5920, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been playing Urban Assault natively under Linux and this is my campaign progress so far:

Screenshot_2017-08-26_21-28-41.png
Filename
Screenshot_2017-08-26_21-28-41.png
File size
644.32 KiB
Views
File license

The game looks, sounds and plays just about the same as the original Windows release.

Screenshot_2017-08-26_19-43-00.png
Filename
Screenshot_2017-08-26_19-43-00.png
File size
297.57 KiB
Views
File license

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 949 of 5920, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Still playing Strike Commander. I just finished the California missions and am now on the Arizona Missions. This puts me roughly about halfway through the game. This seems like a VERY long game! I've completed over 25 missions, and another 25ish to go. But it's pretty darn fun. So far, I'd say better than Wings of Glory and Pacific Strike (longer too, as each of those was in the neighborhood of 30-35 missions total)..

Also, I'm at the moment playing with the character creation process in Realms of Arcania 1. Creating characters looks like it could take a few hours if you want to roll good ones. If you're into that sort of thing, it's pretty entertaining. 😉 I'm enjoying it!

Reply 950 of 5920, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After playing the stuffing out of Super Tennis on the Sega Master System over the last few weeks, I felt the need for more. Super Tennis is hours of fun but more ‘fancy pong’ than tennis sim.

The logical progression was ‘Pete Sampras Tennis’ for the Sega Mega Drive, a copy of which I’ve owned for years but never gotten around to trying. But what a game it is!

- Gorgeous graphics.
- Smooth, fast paced gameplay.
- Excellent sound effects and a real, human voiceover – I’ve never bothered with the Mega Drive much and didn’t realise it could sound so good.
- An atmospheric crowd that cheers with varying degrees of enthusiasm at appropriate times and interrupts gameplay with their chanting.
- A range of gameplay options.
- Change of ends.
- Arguments with the umpire!

My first impression was that the camera angle made it impossible to judge the height of the ball, but with much practice I’m working it out – the trick is to factor the ball’s shadow into the equation. And I worked out pretty early on that you can game the lower ranked players with certain serves and returns, but a) that gets boring and b) once you get halfway up the player roster you find that they start returning those shots and you’re forced to learn how to rally and hit winners anyway.

The controls are solid and you’re involved in a proper game of tennis – aces, drop shots, lobs, dives, etc. I’m playing the ‘world tour’ mode which is a good way to learn because of the gradual progression of opponent skill. I’m about half-way through it (passwords provided along the way) and have found a player I can’t beat - but instead of being rage inducing, each loss makes me a little better and I look forward to trying again.

I can’t take a decent photo of my CRT but here’s the hardware at least:

P1030134.jpg

Reply 951 of 5920, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice...a good video tennis game is quite fun! There's one for the Dreamcast that I used to play a ton. Here's some gameplay video of Pete Sampras on the Sega Master System for anyone else curious about how this one looks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0upN7_Q-3t0

edit: btw I'm still deep in Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny (1993). In fact, I'm still in the opening town, working on clearing the dungeon (I've gotten through 4 out of 5 levels of it). It's definitely a much different RPG experience than I'm used to. It reminds me more of RPGs I used to play on my Apple II, where you took your time, did a lot of reading, and used a lot of your imagination to fill in the blanks. Although, the graphics that are there are quite decent, but there's a lot of descriptive text to fill in what it doesn't show you.

Last edited by clueless1 on 2017-09-08, 11:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 952 of 5920, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Still mucking about in Urban Assault even after completing the entire game, was streaming the game from the beginning a few days ago. I have a bizarre love hate relationship with this game.

Raw stream links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eZecr9obu0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z8yQlvoKCw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y9e8kc7FDM

My twitch page is: https://www.twitch.tv/kynikossdragonn

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 953 of 5920, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
clueless1 wrote:

Here's some gameplay video of Pete Sampras on the Sega Master System for anyone else curious about how this one looks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0upN7_Q-3t0

Oh I didn't realise there was a Master System version! Looks OK too but I'm playing on the Mega Drive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSkoa93Wy88

I wish I had your patience with those old school RPG's clueless. Realms of Arkania sounds like fun but I just don't have the time / brain power to get into them anymore. I still do a modern RPG from time-to-time, or a retro one that I know inside out. Such a great genre.

Reply 954 of 5920, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

I wish I had your patience with those old school RPG's clueless. Realms of Arkania sounds like fun but I just don't have the time / brain power to get into them anymore. I still do a modern RPG from time-to-time, or a retro one that I know inside out. Such a great genre.

Honestly, I expected not to have any patience with ROA. From everything I read before trying it, I expected it to be overwhelming and too micromanagy. It was only after giving it a couple of hours that my eyes were opened. 😁 As an adult, I'm used to hurrying through RPGs to get them done within X hours, following along with walkthroughs to try to steamline the experience. I suppose at some point I will want to get on with the plot, but at the moment I'm relishing the slow pace and soaking in all the descriptive words. It's that good.

Reply 955 of 5920, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A little more about Realms of Arkania:

this is such a unique CRPG...a big departure from accepted norms. I have found that Encumbrance rules the day. Don't waste your money on heavy armor, at least in the first part of the game. It weighs you down so much that your movement points drop (meaning less flexibility during combat) and reduces the amount of loot you can haul out of dungeons. Leather armor is the best combination of protection and weight. Also, heavier weapons/armor tend to have worse attack/parry penalties. The game is really geared for lightweight, agile combat. There's a lot of spells, but most of them are esoteric and useless, at least for the first part of the game. The best spells are Lightning (blinds your opponent preventing them from attacking or defending for 3 rounds), Iron Rust (destroys their weapon, forcing them to fight unarmed for the entire battle), Sleep, and Dance (forces opponent to dance til exhausted). Healing potions are not as good as herbs: they are heavier and can't be stacked in inventory slots. If you come across healing potions, you're better off selling them and using the money to buy the Whirlweed herb, which is lighter, stackable, and heals as much as the potion. And when you camp during travel, always have your best Herb Lore character search for herbs before turning in for the night. They usually can find more than enough to keep your party healthy, plus you can sell off the rest for a good profit. Same with your best Tracker/Animal Lore/Survival character: have them search for water and hunt before sleeping and you should have enough food and water to not have to buy any rations in towns. Combat is on a grid and turn-based. It's a bit limited (no diagonal attacks), but SOOOO satisfying. It compares to Gold Box game combat. In Realms of Arkania II they fix the diagonal combat limitation, so looking forward to that. Lastly, leveling up is much more satisfying. From what I've read, your characters won't progress past level 5 by endgame. It takes a long time to level, but when you do, it's such a treat, and can take 15 minutes of happy OCD to distribute points exactly how you want in all the various skills. There's lots of options for spellcasters to convert life points (hitpoint) to astral points (spellpoints) too. And the way the game is geared, it's usually pretty easy to keep your spellcaster out of trouble during combat (hiding/guarding), so having fewer hitpoints isn't such a big penalty.

Oh, there's another unique feature: in some places your party can become separated. For example, half of them fall down a pit while the other half save themselves. You can control both groups separately on each level they are on, then when you reunite, you can reform back into one big party. This is turning into a favorite quickly. Dare I say, better than Baldur's Gate?? I guess that's up to the individual.

Reply 957 of 5920, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
badmojo wrote:

Gah now I want to play it! Are you happy now?!

I hope you have an MT-32. The music is glorious... 😊

and I've attached the most useful reference I've found for the game. I believe a Steam GOG user put it together. Credit to them for their hard work! It's basically a rating systems for weapons, armor, herbs, spells, and dieties. Very helpful when deciding how to equip your characters.

edit: some other really cool things that just make sense in this game -- when you fight a new opponent for the first time, you get more experience points than on subsequent battles with same type of opponent; also, you get much more XP for solving quests than you do for most fights. There are some situations that only one of your characters gets experience for: for example, lockpicking XP only goes to the lockpicker, likewise to the spellcaster if s/he magically unlocks a door. But quest and battle XP are divided evenly, even if a character passes out. Only if a character is outright killed do they (obviously) not get a share of the XP in a battle.

Attachments

Reply 959 of 5920, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Baldur's Gate.. Almost finished with the Baldur's Gate missions I think, about to head into the Iron Throne subplot. After that I'll probably do Durlag's Tower.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.