VOGONS

post up pics of your "computing area"

Topic actions

Reply 980 of 2202, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I totally want to see KaneCVR running Blood or Shadow Warrior. In DOS. On some ridiculous rig with the beating heart of a V5-5500 rescued from the jaws of the smashers.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 981 of 2202, by Biggie Z

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My communications center:

Attachments

• XJL_56922.JPG
    Filename
    XJL_56922.JPG
    File size
    2.52 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Dell XPS M_s: Pentium MMX 233, 128MB PC-66, Matrix Mill II 8MB, AWE64 CT4380, Maxtor 6GB HDD, Dell AT101W, W98SE
IBM PC-350: AM5x86 133MHz, 16MB SIMMs, S3-805 VLB 2MB, SB16 CT1740, Quantum Fireball 1280MB HDD, IBM Model M, MS-DOS 6.22
Roland SC-55, SC-50

Reply 983 of 2202, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cleaned it up a little today:

General link, desc in pictures: http://imgur.com/a/Wc7Ox

VQatJoOh.jpg

bqG77gMh.jpg

5iEU0bRh.jpg

MLaZsVkh.jpg

And finally, nice and clean: From left top across, then CRLF: 286-16 (DOS/WIN 3.0 - now with Soundblaster!), 386SX-16 (DOS/WIN3.11 - now with Soundblaster!) KVM input/output, P133 Toshiba Laptop (Win98), 486 Compaq LTE/25 (Win 3.1), HP 200LX (186 based, 4MB RAM), Lower level - Dimension XPS Pro200n (Win 95), clone P166 (Win 98SE), Raven PR2417 24 pin printer, My SAN running OpenFiler (with UPS), and the DLC (non-working, needs CACHE chip/CF card rework - Graphics card also died earlier this year). Not pictured - two 386DX/40s that are for sale-ish.

T5sS1EFh.jpg

My other computers are in other rooms - A Samsung N130 Netbook, an X230 Lenovo, a Dell Precision 7500 (Xeon), and some older Toshiba Satellite I am reworking for my brother in law. Also my dad's Thinkcentre (HT 3.0) from 2004 or so under a tarp somewhere.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 984 of 2202, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In the process of reorganizing my Computering area personally. Thinking of getting rid of my 80's machines and sticking to collecting just 90's stuff since that's really what I'm nostalgic for. Dragged out my Packard Bell's and set them all up as well as went through my boxed games and pulled all the ones that wouldn't run on these computers off the wall and am probably going to box them up. Also stacked my other Packard Bell's neatly under the counter area so I can swap these anytime I want. All the other 80's machines and one mid 90's compaq are up in the attic just above this room. 😁

Not done yet, still have to finish setting up the LAN and maybe setting up a jewel case rack but this is the rough up so far. 🤣

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbmyao0.jpg?1

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbmo6ws.jpg
The Packard reserve...

I'll post more images of better quality when the room is actually closer to finished but just thought I'd make a little update. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 985 of 2202, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So many Packard Bell machines... I see some 2x CR-563s there that I could use 😉

Reply 986 of 2202, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check again cause there isn't a single creative drive in any of those. 🤣

Reply 987 of 2202, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got a shelf made for by boxed stuff and set up my retro corner.

Attachments

• IMGP1232.JPG
    Filename
    IMGP1232.JPG
    File size
    2.53 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 988 of 2202, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

Check again cause there isn't a single creative drive in any of those. 🤣

Second from left bottom row standing up - Tell me that's not a Panasonic drive. 5th also. Possibly second horizontal computer on top with the less-yellowed monitor on top of it.

Reply 989 of 2202, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:

Finally got a shelf made for by boxed stuff and set up my retro corner.

The one with the tinted plastic cover, is that one of those EVEREX systems or whatever it was that you can swap out the CPU on a separate daughter card?

Reply 990 of 2202, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think they are Masuchita or something however you say that. But I think it may be that model number, I'd have to pop one open to check but I don't feel like it.

Reply 993 of 2202, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

I think they are Masuchita or something however you say that. But I think it may be that model number, I'd have to pop one open to check but I don't feel like it.

That's exactly what I'm looking for. If you want, I can send you a 4x IDE and swap you for one of those 2x 😉

Reply 994 of 2202, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why so much interest in these CD drives? I just pulled another computer out of the garbage with an SB16 and Creative CD drive also 🤣.

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbn5icj.jpg

Reply 995 of 2202, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:
Why so much interest in these CD drives? I just pulled another computer out of the garbage with an SB16 and Creative CD drive al […]
Show full quote

Why so much interest in these CD drives? I just pulled another computer out of the garbage with an SB16 and Creative CD drive also 🤣.

untitled_by_mad_king_corduroy-dbn5icj.jpg

How many Packard's do you have?

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 996 of 2202, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

15 Packard Bell computers at the moment, 14 work and one needs a new PSU but I shouldn't have too much trouble getting one when I finally get around to it thanks to the fact that Packard used pretty generic PSUs. I have four monitors (one is a bit iffy, needs some work), 5 mice, 2 custom Packard Bell mouse pads (I'm gonna get more printed up), one media remote, two microphones, and an innumerable amount of keyboards. 🤣

I know they aren't what many would consider valuable or even interesting but honestly they make me very happy and I'm very very proud of my collection. I can say without a doubt that I derive more pleasure from owning these lowly Packard Bell computers than any of the more valuable and sought after computers I have owned or still own. I've been pretty lucky in that I got to zip through my want list of "rare" computers fairly quickly (matter of five years or less) and spend almost no money whatsoever. Every time I took my Packard Bell off my desk and put whatever the computer was at the time I found that the community considered rare and exciting, I found that I got bored of it rather quickly and returned to my lowly Packard Bell. I've come to realize that maybe I shouldn't be collecting things for impressing other people and instead collect things because I actually enjoy them. 🤣

The last thing that actually made me realize this was my Amiga 1000. I got a great example expanded ram, tons of extras and software all in it's original boxes with the monitor and honestly after years of wanting one I played with it a bit and well... lets just say I wasn't impressed. 🤣 And this is coming from a guy who has used TONS of retro computers! I've owned Tandy machines, Sun Machines, Apple machines, IBM machines I own four Commodore 64 computers (Best computer of the 80's imo) and I've owned an Atari ST (which I did enjoy) but for some reason the Amiga, the one computer I thought I really wanted. The computer with legendary graphics and sound, insanely positive reviews from the community and a giant cult following - and when I fired it up and played around with it I just felt blah about the whole thing. 🤣 I almost quit the whole hobby right then and there. It was at that point I realized maybe I shouldn't be collecting "Legendary" computers but instead just stick to the one computer I keep going back to and that's just a boring old mid 90's Packard Bell. 😜

Reply 997 of 2202, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

15 Packard Bell computers at the moment, 14 work and one needs a new PSU but I shouldn't have too much trouble getting one when I finally get around to it thanks to the fact that Packard used pretty generic PSUs. I have four monitors (one is a bit iffy, needs some work), 5 mice, 2 custom Packard Bell mouse pads (I'm gonna get more printed up), one media remote, two microphones, and an innumerable amount of keyboards. 🤣

I know they aren't what many would consider valuable or even interesting but honestly they make me very happy and I'm very very proud of my collection. I can say without a doubt that I derive more pleasure from owning these lowly Packard Bell computers than any of the more valuable and sought after computers I have owned or still own. I've been pretty lucky in that I got to zip through my want list of "rare" computers fairly quickly (matter of five years or less) and spend almost no money whatsoever. Every time I took my Packard Bell off my desk and put whatever the computer was at the time I found that the community considered rare and exciting, I found that I got bored of it rather quickly and returned to my lowly Packard Bell. I've come to realize that maybe I shouldn't be collecting things for impressing other people and instead collect things because I actually enjoy them. 🤣

The last thing that actually made me realize this was my Amiga 1000. I got a great example expanded ram, tons of extras and software all in it's original boxes with the monitor and honestly after years of wanting one I played with it a bit and well... lets just say I wasn't impressed. 🤣 And this is coming from a guy who has used TONS of retro computers! I've owned Tandy machines, Sun Machines, Apple machines, IBM machines I own four Commodore 64 computers (Best computer of the 80's imo) and I've owned an Atari ST (which I did enjoy) but for some reason the Amiga, the one computer I thought I really wanted. The computer with legendary graphics and sound, insanely positive reviews from the community and a giant cult following - and when I fired it up and played around with it I just felt blah about the whole thing. 🤣 I almost quit the whole hobby right then and there. It was at that point I realized maybe I shouldn't be collecting "Legendary" computers but instead just stick to the one computer I keep going back to and that's just a boring old mid 90's Packard Bell. 😜

14 working. That's crazy considering Packard had a 25% DOA rate from the factory if my memory serves me. Yeah, what you call legendary collecting I call shelf collecting. As in I buy something rare and valuable to look at it on a shelf. Even some games that I wanted very badly during my childhood get this effect such as Pokemon SoulSilver.

Buying what I enjoy though isn't easy for me. There are some things I'll get very excited about (and pour money into) just to discover I hate them. My DOS machine initially was an example of this (though I did initially find a niche of DOS games that I enjoy; namely the various IDSoft games). I do find I buy a lot of stuff just for my YT channel though and I have plenty of games and parts I hate for the sake of compatibility testing and benchmarking.

I do plan to get into 80s computing but I don't want to do that before i have a proper and steady income that yields at least $500 in spending cash per month. I aim for neae 100 percent compatibility in any field I enter. 8 bit machines are going to be a nightmare as even basic compatibility requires I locate and Apple II, A Commodore 128, an Atari 800, and a ZX Spectrum. It took me 2 years just to get 95% compatibility with X86 stuff and even then I certainly don't have the capability to try every sound and graphics option which is when I need to pull a Batarya and buy every sound card ever sold.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 998 of 2202, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah the compatibility thing is what really makes me hate everything older than a 486 now, I mean I started out all starry eyed but four years later and I want absolutely nothing to do with 80's machines anymore. 🤣
I was also collecting for my youtube, I'll probably keep doing the youtube but shy more and more from really retro tech and just stick to the 90's gear and games.

As for the failure rate, I just can't believe that. Most of the machines I've come across and the one I personally had as a family PC from 1996 - 2008 have been absolute tanks. I mean seriously the most i've ever had to do to fix one was swap power supplies and most of these were trash picked! 🤣 The monitors on the other hand are another story (which is why I'm always looking for more!). I've also upgraded a few of these and with some common sense and trouble shooting skills it's a piece of cake.

Reply 999 of 2202, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

25%?
No way, Packard's were one of the most reliable systems out there. There was a reason NASA used them back in the day.

Now the new stuff is just re banded Acer stuff so 25% would make since.