VOGONS

First post, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried to compile the new DOSBox branch including MAMEs sound cores. So far I couldn't get it compiled, I get a lot of undefined reference errors in tandy_sound.cpp, adlib.cpp and gameblaster.cpp. Should it even compile or is it still in a non compilable status?

What exactly is the purpose of the new sound cores? Are MAMEs sound cores more accurate than the ones used now?

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

We will update to them, once everything compiles, works and sounds good.
The Mame stuff is usually quite good accuracy wise.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try this patch to get it compiling.

edit: this might have just been committed

Attachments

• Filename
    Makemame.diff
    File size
    1.79 KiB
    Downloads
    87 downloads
    File comment
    quick automake stuff
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

for accuracy, we've actually talked about improving OPL3 by switching to something like nukeykt's OPL3 core. Knowing the team, it will probably be developed in house.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 7, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! I compiled a separate vanilla and ECE build including the new sound cores for everyone to try and play around with, downloads can be found as always, in the signature.

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 5 of 7, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, the MAME sound core is now officially integrated in DOSBox. In which ways is it better than regular sound emulation? Does OPL emulation sound better, worse or identical to NukedOPL? What other benefits does it have, if any? Does it need less cpu power? Or even more?

Reply 6 of 7, by James-F

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mame opl core is nowhere nearly as accurate as nuked., a noise signal generated by the opl with lots of negative feedback clearly show that with spectrum analyzer.
I have no idea why the mame core was implemented in dosbox when it performs no better than the standard compat/fast cores.

my important / useful posts are here

Reply 7 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because we're buddies!!! 😁

No, I don't actually know.

My guess is that DOSBox-dev doesn't actually want to maintain their own cores though if someone else is already focused on accuracy, and certainly DOSBox *used* to use MAME cores, so there's some history there. Dependencies FTW.

Nuked core is another good option, and like I said MAMEdev still has a goal of rewriting their OPL3 core to be more like nuked. But we have so many goals, IDK when that will actually happen.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto