VOGONS

WIP versions

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 183 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

Crashing still occurs in Alien Shooter and Zombie Shooter with the latest WIP.

I still didn't check it out, along with many other games. But it's on the list. 😀

lowenz wrote:
How can I create a log file? […]
Show full quote
lowenz wrote:

Raven Shield fullscreen crash (starting a new level/mission) still present.

How can I create a log file?

Info = enable
Warning = enable
Error = enable
MaxTraceLevel = 2

LogToFile = true

seem to have no effects in this case.

That section is only for debug/spec release builds. Only 'plain' final builds are released yet because the logging functionality is not ready, currently it's more or less available only for DX8.
(First I have to re-factor my existing debug report system a little bit.)

BTW, I know what the problem is with Raven Shield, only the fix is not so evident. 😀
Doesn't the game work if you start it in windowed mode and force it into fullscreen by Alt-Enter later?

Reply 185 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrEWhite wrote:

Got a bit of an issue with a game called "Alien Shooter" by Sigma-Team.

Natively in Windows 10 it works fine, other than some stuttering when you use the med-kit and when you get a shield. Also the FPS is uncapped causing some issue with the AI.

But, with dgVoodoo, it works fine other than when you use the med-kit, the game just straight up crashes.

How to use the medkit? In Zombie Shooter I cheated to $50000 in the shop and bought a medkit (and shields).
According to the description, medkit is automatically restores your health when it's at critical level but when I let myself die then nothing happened. 😀
(There is no spearate key for items as far as I can see.)

Reply 186 of 1111, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lowenz wrote:

ALT+Enter works but the game loses the actual (user selected) resolution setting.
It seems to fallback to 640x480 (menu resolution).

Forcing 1440x1080 Fullscreeen via dgVoodoo2 for the menu screen too ISN'T working. Menu is correctly set to 1400x1080 and centered ( 😁 ) but the crash is still present @level loading moment.
It's something about the creation of the new contest/window?

Reply 187 of 1111, by MrEWhite

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote:
How to use the medkit? In Zombie Shooter I cheated to $50000 in the shop and bought a medkit (and shields). According to the des […]
Show full quote
MrEWhite wrote:

Got a bit of an issue with a game called "Alien Shooter" by Sigma-Team.

Natively in Windows 10 it works fine, other than some stuttering when you use the med-kit and when you get a shield. Also the FPS is uncapped causing some issue with the AI.

But, with dgVoodoo, it works fine other than when you use the med-kit, the game just straight up crashes.

How to use the medkit? In Zombie Shooter I cheated to $50000 in the shop and bought a medkit (and shields).
According to the description, medkit is automatically restores your health when it's at critical level but when I let myself die then nothing happened. 😀
(There is no spearate key for items as far as I can see.)

Getting hit down to zero health should activate it. Just tested it to make sure in Zombie Shooter and it worked.

Just use cheatm in the shop screen, buy the medkit, and just walk until you see the one rat and let it kill you, it should activate.

Reply 188 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Populous D3D render is very prone to crashing at startup in newest WIP, works fine in 2.54.

For whatever reason the WIP works with Win95 compatibility mode, but 2.54 doesn't need it. And yes I double checked that all tests were run with stock dgVoodoo2 configuration.

Reply 189 of 1111, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried C&C95 again. It still has performance issues with menus and scrolling some directions ingame. Works perfectly with cnc-ddraw, maybe it needs some hacks you don't want to implement, but could you take a look?

Anyway, it's a 640x400 game with a 4:3 aspect ratio so I set ScalingMode=Stretched_4_3 and tried ImageScaleFactors.

ImageScaleFactor=1 (640x400) looks as dgVoodoo always did
ImageScaleFactor=2 (1280x800) is a pretty huge increase in image quality
ImageScaleFactor=3 (1920x1200) uses the wrong aspect ratio. It shows in 16:10 despite the ScalingMode setting specifying 4:3

ImageScaleFactor=4 (2560x1600) doesn't work, but my monitor doesn't support it anyway. Since it's using an emulated mode I wonder why dgVoodo2 is restricting resolutions only to monitor supported ones?

Reply 191 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZellSF wrote:

Populous D3D render is very prone to crashing at startup in newest WIP, works fine in 2.54.

For whatever reason the WIP works with Win95 compatibility mode, but 2.54 doesn't need it. And yes I double checked that all tests were run with stock dgVoodoo2 configuration.

I think it's the same problem as with Settlers IV. Win95 compat mode may absorb the exception and so the game runs.

ZellSF wrote:

Tried C&C95 again. It still has performance issues with menus and scrolling some directions ingame. Works perfectly with cnc-ddraw, maybe it needs some hacks you don't want to implement, but could you take a look?

Ok, I'll have a look at there.

ZellSF wrote:

ImageScaleFactor=3 (1920x1200) uses the wrong aspect ratio. It shows in 16:10 despite the ScalingMode setting specifying 4:3

4:3 is only for resolutions below 1280x1024. Ok, it's a bug anyway, I guess dgVoodoo compares against the upscaled resolution instead of 640x400. 😁

ZellSF wrote:

ImageScaleFactor=4 (2560x1600) doesn't work, but my monitor doesn't support it anyway. Since it's using an emulated mode I wonder why dgVoodo2 is restricting resolutions only to monitor supported ones?

If the resolution is larger than the maximal supported one of the given monitor then it's up to DX11 what happens, how it looks or works at all.
One way to display it somehow could be Franpa's idea: rendering at custom (large) resolution and then downscaling it to a lower resolution for display.

Myloch wrote:

Give me a shout when this wrapper properly handles GDI

I have experimental codes around for that but haven't had yet time to finish the feature.

Reply 196 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, I release the current state, mostly to get rid of that common DDraw crash.
Otherwise not much yet... I haven't even yet fixed some game specific bugs I promised recently...
Every time I start thinking I'm going to have more time for dgVoodoo, life always proves me the opposite in a short time. 😁 😁

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodooWIP37.zip

=========================
WIP37:
=========================

- Regression bug causing DDraw crashes (like in Settlers IV) fixed
- Cosmetics
- New dynamic resolution modes (2x, 3x, ...) are added
- Possibility of extra resolutions enumerable to DirectX applications is added
- Dithering for Glide and DirectX added

Glide dithering:

- You can either force-disable it, ending up 16-bit quality rendering
- Or set it to 'app driven' meaning the application can choose between disabling, dithering2x2 and dithering4x4
- Or you can force a dithering method: pure32bit (meaning pure 32 bit rendering quality), dither2x2 or dither4x4

DirectX dithering:

An application has two options for controlling dithering: enable or disable. Also, dithering typically affected
only 16 bit surfaces back in old DX days. So,

- You can either force-disable it, ending up 16-bit quality rendering on 16 bit surfaces.
- Or set it to 'app driven' along with defining a dithering method, so the app can enable/disable dithering
for displaying 16 bit surfaces
- Or you can force the given dithering method for 16 bit surfaces (forceon16bit)
- Or you can force the given dithering method for all displayed surfaces (forcealways)
- Dithering methods are: pure32bit, ordered2x2, ordered4x4

dgVoodoo implements dithering as a rendering postprocess effect (plain "ordered dithering" methods for the time being),
unlike contemporary GPU's which applied it at perpixel level during 3D-rendering. Thus, the two can't be equivalent.
When dithering is application driven then dithered rendered data can be (partially) produced, copied, stretch-copied,
etc (DX). dgVoodoo cannot do such level of tracing, keep it in mind for 'appdriven' cases. Also, to have real
retro feel&look, you can scale the size of the dithering matrix for pixelated appearance, even by leaving calculating
the scale factor to dgVoodoo.

Reply 197 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lowenz wrote:

The new WIP has some problems with the AA

I think you have MSAA forced in the CPL, instead of app-driven. 😀

CoolGamer wrote:

Did you have the chance to do any work on texture replacement feature? That feature will be extremely useful for modders.

Is it possible to dump and replace 3d models with new high polygon models?

Yes, I know... I'm trying to balance between improving dgVoodoo by bug/incompatibility hunting and developing new features.
Hooking dgVoodoo for various features like texture replacing needs some additional basic development that is being in progress.

3D models are a problem however. Textures can be replaced one by one, but 3D models are drawn part by part through more than one Draw* calls to DirectX (current texture, current material, etc),
so they cannot be replaced through hooking. That level of modding requires to modify the game (data) internals. 😖

Reply 198 of 1111, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Found the dithering settings in the conf file.

I played some NFS3. 1920x1440 with CRT filter, 4x4 dithered, with 4x FSAA (via DGVoodoo) and 4x supersampled alpha textures (via NV CP) is a very slick image. 😎 supersampled alpha also fixes the black lines that MSAA usually causes with NFS3.

I am still having problems getting the Unreal glide2x.dll games to run 1600x1200 on their own. They reset to 512x384 if I set 1600x1200. I can force the resolution with DGVoodoo, but the game will still use the wrong UI resolution and the UI is slightly aliased.

Reply 199 of 1111, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

I am still having problems getting the Unreal glide2x.dll games to run 1600x1200 on their own. They reset to 512x384 if I set 1600x1200. I can force the resolution with DGVoodoo, but the game will still use the wrong UI resolution and the UI is slightly aliased.

Increase 'Onboard RAM' to 12MB. 8MB isn't enough for 1600x1200, grSstWinOpen fails.