VOGONS

First post, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys;

i have been playing around lately with WDM and VXD drivers for my Sound Blaster card. The way i am doing it is by disabling the driver then re-installing the WDM or VXD Driver. I have read on forums that you can switch between VX and WDM within the creative launcher app, i tried looking for it and cant find anything. Does anyone know how i can switch between those drivers.

Thanks

Reply 2 of 12, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:

I'm not aware of this feature, but I would love to know how to do it if possible.

Yeah me too i have read alot of times in numerous forums were people are saying you can do it.

Reply 3 of 12, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please see the attached file. This is an original document that came with my 3rd generation SB0220 Live card. It leads me to believe that VXD/WDM switching via the control panel applet is fiction.

Please, prove me wrong. I'll thank you for it. I hope that I'm wrong.

Attachments

• SB0220 Drivers.jpg
    Filename
    SB0220 Drivers.jpg
    File size
    130.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 12, by Stretch

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The utility is present in the start menu on the Audigy 2 ZS in Windows 98SE. I don't have my Sound Blaster Live installed, but it should be present as well.

I attached 2 screenshots showing the program and the text from the utility.

In my case I used the utility to switch from WDM to VxD, so I only have the option to go back to the default WDM.

This utility allows Windows 98SE users to change their driver installation between VXD and WDM driver sets.
By default, this product is installed with WDM drivers which are optimized for Windows Me, 2000 and XP.

Recommendations
The WDM driver is recommended for Windows 98se users who primarily use their computer for digital music applications
such as DVD Audio, MP3/WMA playback or MIDI.

The VXD driver is recommended for Windows 98se users who primarily use their computer to play games.

For additional details regarding VXD and WDM drivers, please read the following:

Benefits of using VXD Drivers in WindowsÆ 98SE
1. Increased stability and performance with DirectSound and EAX enhanced technology applications (like games) in
Windows 98SE.
2. Ability to play multiple MIDI devices simultaneously, a feature not available with the WDM architecture in this
operating system.
3. Earlier versions of Windows Media Player (mplayer.exe) can playback Multi-channel files (more than 2-channel
stereo). These same versions of Mplayer.exe only support 2-channel stereo output when using WDM format drivers.

Benefits of using WDM Drivers in WindowsÆ 98SE
1. Support for Microsoftís Digital Rights Management, a feature not available with the VXD architecture.
2. Kernel Streaming supported in Cakewalk SONAR, a feature not available with the VXD architecture.
3. Support multi-channel WAVE playback through DirectSound when using later versions of Windows Media Player
(mplayer2.exe).
4. Support for Direct Music.

Known issues when using VXD Drivers in WindowsÆ 98SE
1. Some games (like Final Fantasy VII) may use the DirectMusic interface which is not supported in the VXD
architecture. As an alternative, you can select another music synth, like Synth A or B provided with Sound
Blaster products.
2. Speaker test feature under Creative Speaker Settings will not work with the VXD architecture.
3. This product cannot stream out AC-3 audio for internal or external decoding with the VXD architecture.
4. An error message may appear when attempting to restore previous audio settings in Creative applications with
the VXD architecture.
5. DVD Audio (DVD-A) playback is not available with the VXD architecture.

Attachments

• Driver Utility Program.png
    Filename
    Driver Utility Program.png
    File size
    10.41 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Location in Start Menu
    File license
  • Audigy 2 Driver Utility Program.png
    Filename
    Audigy 2 Driver Utility Program.png
    File size
    5.77 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Driver Switch Utility
    File license

Win 11 - Intel i7-1360p - 32 GB - Intel Iris Xe - Sound BlasterX G5

Reply 5 of 12, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote:
The utility is present in the start menu on the Audigy 2 ZS in Windows 98SE. I don't have my Sound Blaster Live installed, but i […]
Show full quote

The utility is present in the start menu on the Audigy 2 ZS in Windows 98SE. I don't have my Sound Blaster Live installed, but it should be present as well.

I attached 2 screenshots showing the program and the text from the utility.

In my case I used the utility to switch from WDM to VxD, so I only have the option to go back to the default WDM.

This utility allows Windows 98SE users to change their driver installation between VXD and WDM driver sets.
By default, this product is installed with WDM drivers which are optimized for Windows Me, 2000 and XP.

Recommendations
The WDM driver is recommended for Windows 98se users who primarily use their computer for digital music applications
such as DVD Audio, MP3/WMA playback or MIDI.

The VXD driver is recommended for Windows 98se users who primarily use their computer to play games.

For additional details regarding VXD and WDM drivers, please read the following:

Benefits of using VXD Drivers in WindowsÆ 98SE
1. Increased stability and performance with DirectSound and EAX enhanced technology applications (like games) in
Windows 98SE.
2. Ability to play multiple MIDI devices simultaneously, a feature not available with the WDM architecture in this
operating system.
3. Earlier versions of Windows Media Player (mplayer.exe) can playback Multi-channel files (more than 2-channel
stereo). These same versions of Mplayer.exe only support 2-channel stereo output when using WDM format drivers.

Benefits of using WDM Drivers in WindowsÆ 98SE
1. Support for Microsoftís Digital Rights Management, a feature not available with the VXD architecture.
2. Kernel Streaming supported in Cakewalk SONAR, a feature not available with the VXD architecture.
3. Support multi-channel WAVE playback through DirectSound when using later versions of Windows Media Player
(mplayer2.exe).
4. Support for Direct Music.

Known issues when using VXD Drivers in WindowsÆ 98SE
1. Some games (like Final Fantasy VII) may use the DirectMusic interface which is not supported in the VXD
architecture. As an alternative, you can select another music synth, like Synth A or B provided with Sound
Blaster products.
2. Speaker test feature under Creative Speaker Settings will not work with the VXD architecture.
3. This product cannot stream out AC-3 audio for internal or external decoding with the VXD architecture.
4. An error message may appear when attempting to restore previous audio settings in Creative applications with
the VXD architecture.
5. DVD Audio (DVD-A) playback is not available with the VXD architecture.

Nice what install cd did you use for your Audigy? also did you get SB16 Emulation working

Reply 7 of 12, by JaKSLaP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stretch wrote:

I used the driver cd that came with the card. I didn't see any SB16 options on the installer.

Would you be kind enough to upload it to vogon drivers, the one that's available doesn't have all those options you showed in the screenshot

Reply 9 of 12, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stretch wrote:

How do I upload the ISO to vogonsdrivers? I can't login to the website.

It's a separate website, actually! PM SquallStrife here on VOGONS and he'll set you up with an account you can upload from.

If you're only ever gonna have this one thing to upload, you may instead just want to upload it somewhere else and drop the link in the VOGONSDrivers thread and someone will often, but not always, get around to doing all that for you.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 12, by firage

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So there's no confusion, what that does is "switch installation" between the two drivers. Basically the same as uninstalling one and installing the other, even requiring the reboot, just a simpler launcher.

My big-red-switch 486