VOGONS

First post, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am thinking of replacing most of the Power Supplies in 8 of my currently running retro (and not really retro for the last two) computers and wanted to know some suggestions of brands / wattage / rail voltages for each of them before I start to buy them. The PSU's in them now seem fine but they were all old supplies I had that I quickly tested before installing. I realize total power consumption can change depending on what is installed on the system, but really looking for some ballparks here as well as some things to avoid. This ia broad overview of the systems I am looking to get new PSU's for.

Intel 386DX-33 AT with ISA Graphics / ISA Sound / SCSI Controller - Hard Drive / ISA NIC
Intel 486DX2-66 AT with VLB Graphics / ISA Sound / IDE HDD / ISA NIC
Pentium 1 - 166 Socket 7 AT with 2 PCI Graphics / ISA Sound / PCI NIC
Pentium 2 - 450 ATX with 1 AGP Graphics / 2 PCI Graphics / PCI Sound / PCI NIC
Pentium 3 - 933 ATX with AGP Graphics / PCI Sound / PCI NIC
AMD Athlon - 650 Socket A - 650 MHZ with AGP Graphics / PCI Sound / PCI NIC
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ ATX with AGP Graphics / PCI Sound / PCI NIC
Intel Core2 Quad 6700 with PCI-Express Graphics / PCI Sound / PCI NIC

Appreciate the assistance!

Reply 1 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are located in the US, get a bunch of these 350w Seasonic SS-350ET ATX power supplies. ($16 each shipped)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seasonic-SS-350ET-PSU … it/282292578500

Then for the systems that use AT power supplies, get these adapters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-20-PIN-to-AT-P8-P … DE/251025150787

You may need higher wattage for the Q6700 system depending on if you are overclocking and what video card you are using. Maybe even for the Athlon XP system.. but I really doubt it.

What video card is in the Q6700 system?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 9800GT calls for a minimum of a 400w power supply.

I would probably get at least a 450w or 500w for the Q6700 system.

Here is a Seasonic SS-500ET for $33 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-SeaSonic-SS-5 … W-/232399446511

Can you tell I like Seasonic power supplies?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 15, by i486_inside

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
If you are located in the US, get a bunch of these 350w Seasonic SS-350ET ATX power supplies. ($16 each shipped) http://www.ebay […]
Show full quote

If you are located in the US, get a bunch of these 350w Seasonic SS-350ET ATX power supplies. ($16 each shipped)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seasonic-SS-350ET-PSU … it/282292578500

Then for the systems that use AT power supplies, get these adapters.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ATX-20-PIN-to-AT-P8-P … DE/251025150787

You may need higher wattage for the Q6700 system depending on if you are overclocking and what video card you are using. Maybe even for the Athlon XP system.. but I really doubt it.

What video card is in the Q6700 system?

I don't know about using these supplies in older systems. Even if the power supply can do 130W between the 5v and 3.3v rail, It seems the unit was designed to do most of its output on the 12v rail and the unit may no respond well to crossloading the 5v and 3.3v rails, I don't know how it would perform since I can't find any tests online.

Reply 5 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
i486_inside wrote:

I don't know about using these supplies in older systems. Even if the power supply can do 130W between the 5v and 3.3v rail, It seems the unit was designed to do most of its output on the 12v rail and the unit may no respond well to crossloading the 5v and 3.3v rails, I don't know how it would perform since I can't find any tests online.

I've compared the output vs an AT power supply as well as an older ATX power supply that mainly did 3.3v and 5v.

As long as you get a 350w or higher output, you should have plenty of amperage on the 3.3v and 5v rails for older systems.

Back then, most people were running super crappy 250-300w power supplies which were probably more like 200-225w max with absolutely horrible regulation if they were actually tested

I'll just say that I haven't had any issues running newer high quality power supplies on older systems.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 15, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the Enermax EG365P and EG465P PSUs. Look at their labeling though, they have some variations with different amperage limits per rail. These PSUs were made during the awkward time when loads were starting to shift to +12V but it wasn't universal yet.
My best all-around PSU for 32-bit era systems is a 465P which has ample current on every rail, so it basically can run anything without breaking a sweat. But like I mentioned, some variants have different limits, mine is one that was well rounded.
An unexpected bonus is that it has a nicely terminated 3.3v test point on the wiring harness. I had no idea any PSUs ever provided that. It's my favorite general purpose testing PSU.

For systems that don't draw much from +12V:
FSP300-60PFN(12V) - I don't know how much of that part number is actually important.
These are Fortron but are sold under different brands. I haven't looked lately but they used to be common and cheap.
They have strong +3.3v and +5v outputs, I even ran a daily-use nForce2 AthlonXP w/ Radeon 9800 Pro from one. However they have bad caps. If you're willing to recap them then I recommend them, otherwise it might be a bad idea.

Reply 7 of 15, by Smack2k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an FSP300 in one of my builds now....not sure of the exact model.....

As for the rest of these, I will look into them and get what I need....

For my list I put at the start of this thread, which should I look for more on the 12V rail and which need more on the 5V Rail?

Reply 8 of 15, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
The 9800GT calls for a minimum of a 400w power supply. […]
Show full quote

Be aware that the Seasonic SS-350ET has OST caps on the output rails and lots of that yellow glue that turns brown then black and can cause shorts.

If the truth hurts, tough shit.

Reply 9 of 15, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:
I like the Enermax EG365P and EG465P PSUs. Look at their labeling though, they have some variations with different amperage lim […]
Show full quote

I like the Enermax EG365P and EG465P PSUs. Look at their labeling though, they have some variations with different amperage limits per rail. These PSUs were made during the awkward time when loads were starting to shift to +12V but it wasn't universal yet.
My best all-around PSU for 32-bit era systems is a 465P which has ample current on every rail, so it basically can run anything without breaking a sweat. But like I mentioned, some variants have different limits, mine is one that was well rounded.
An unexpected bonus is that it has a nicely terminated 3.3v test point on the wiring harness. I had no idea any PSUs ever provided that. It's my favorite general purpose testing PSU.

For systems that don't draw much from +12V:
FSP300-60PFN(12V) - I don't know how much of that part number is actually important.
These are Fortron but are sold under different brands. I haven't looked lately but they used to be common and cheap.
They have strong +3.3v and +5v outputs, I even ran a daily-use nForce2 AthlonXP w/ Radeon 9800 Pro from one. However they have bad caps. If you're willing to recap them then I recommend them, otherwise it might be a bad idea.

I like Enermax also but be aware that most of them have the dreaded yellow glue in them that will short things out when the glue dries up and conducts across other parts. The first thing that I do when I get them is to open them up and remove as much of the glue as possible.

Reply 10 of 15, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

FSP/SPI powersupplies are generally solid designs with properly sized components and nothing critical missing, although capacitor selection can be variable. Always pop the top and check for failed caps. I have a FSP300 plagued with Fuhjyyu which needs TLC before I use it again.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 11 of 15, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Delta, LiteOn are also very fine PSUs, better than FSP usually. They can be found as OEM in brand PCs. Your Athlons could use 30A or more on the 5V rail,

Reply 13 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TOBOR wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Show full quote

Be aware that the Seasonic SS-350ET has OST caps on the output rails and lots of that yellow glue that turns brown then black and can cause shorts.

I have one of the SS-350ET power supplies opened up that I got from the seller I linked to. The capacitors are all Su'scon and the glue is all white, not yellow.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 15, by TOBOR

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
TOBOR wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Show full quote

I have one of the SS-350ET power supplies opened up that I got from the seller I linked to. The capacitors are all Su'scon and the glue is all white, not yellow.

Are you sure? Look under the small 8mm dia. output caps along the side of the board. Mine had the yellow glue under and around the caps spread like butter. I have a later version than you do, Rev:A2W.

Reply 15 of 15, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TOBOR wrote:

Are you sure? Look under the small 8mm dia. output caps along the side of the board. Mine had the yellow glue under and around the caps spread like butter. I have a later version than you do, Rev:A2W.

Yep, 100% sure. The 2 I haven't used yet are Rev:C1W

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK