VOGONS

First post, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This question has nothing to do with games, and nothing to do with anything that DOSBox was written to do. I'm asking only in the hope that someone might have come across the same issue or a similar one and might have a suggestion for solving it.

A user of my DOSBox-based system for running WordPerfect for DOS wanted to use the Collins Electronic English Dictionary with DOSBox. (I have an original copy on the publisher's 1993 CD, but the forum rightly forbids links to pirated versions online.)

Using MS-DOS in VirtualPC 2007, the dictionary loads as a TSR, as originally designed. Under DOSBox, it gives an error message: "Could not load electronic dictionary. Error 2" (whatever that means). I've experimented with various MEM and XMEM settings; I've also tried LOADFIX with various numbers. Nothing seems to help.

If any DOSBox expert has any ideas about solving this problem, and is feeling generous, I'll be grateful for suggestions. Otherwise, I'll tell that user that nothing can be done.

(It doesn't run under vDos either, by the way.)

Reply 1 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I don't know if error 2 reflects a DOS error in this case, but if it does then it means "file not found".

If the above doesn't give you enough clues to attack the problem with, maybe try using a debugger build of SVN source and see if anything out of the ordinary appears in the log messages.

Reply 2 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ripsaw8080 wrote:

If the above doesn't give you enough clues to attack the problem with, maybe try using a debugger build of SVN source and see if anything out of the ordinary appears in the log messages.

I've never tried using a debugger build, but will start doing so now. If I find anything, I'll report back. Thank you!

Reply 4 of 4, by emendelson

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
coolhaken wrote:

Some old Apps/Games use special character(s) on their filename(s). You can try booting to real DOS and see if this solves your problem.

Thanks, but there are no special characters anywhere in any filename in this software - I checked that early on. The executable is named CEDT.EXE and its data files are named things like COLEDDAK.CMP.