VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just recently bought a EWS64L. I'm not actually sure on which computer I will put it and with what soundcard it will share the isa bus, but outlook are that I will daisy-chain the card with another one, either digital or analogue. If I have to do the analogue chain it wont be a problem, but if I want to do digital I would need some information I cannot find, that is the front panel connector pinout. I know that the digital I/O are for the XL version, but according to my experience with front panel connectors, you usually can just plug a jumper somewhere and have digital out and the L have that connector or so it seem.

From pictures I've see of the front panel and schematic of signal path of the AudioSystem EWS64 hardware manual I think there is good chances that the digital in and digital out travel freely on either of the FP connector. So I would just had to intercept them to achieve in the box digital IO.

Maybe in the lack of such documentation a good picture of front panel pcb could give me a hint about where to look on the ribbon?

Reply 2 of 5, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks alot Parus for the headsup, yeah cable is no issue at all. It's a bit pricey for something in "for parts / not working" conditions. Probably that he wrote it because he cannot test it, but the patch wire does not inspire confidence. Anyway he dont want to ship to north america. Also I dont want a front panel, I would just like to chain soundcard internaly.

This is best pictures by far I have found of the device. It seem to have some electronic pieces after the connectors, but maybe just to protect the card. If I compare with the live drive of the soundblaster live, there is twice the amount of pieces and still you can pick up the digital signal from the cable.

Now I realise that the pinout and good quality picture seem impossible to get, I changed my plans. When I will receive the board I will try to figure out what are the digital in and digital out of the connector from the dream's sam9407 pinout and the help of the signal path and the jigsaw puzzle.

Reply 3 of 5, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote:

I dont want a front panel, I would just like to chain soundcard internaly.

No problem, just expand the front panel 180 degrees and hide it behind 5'25 cap of the case. I did exactly so.
Then, I'm afraid that base 64L card doesn't make standard S/PDIF signal without front XL panel. Maybe the base card makes I2S signal, therefore you should find pinouts and connect some I2S-S/PDIF converter. I don't know exactly, I use XL panel and get wavetable header for midi-daughters and standard S/PDIF.
By the way if you'll find and get the digital extension of Terratec DMX Canyon3D card http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9ZIAAOSwGJlZIVbv/s-l1600.jpg it will work excellent with digital connector of EWS64L. I checked!

Reply 4 of 5, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah well I was plaing with the setup and it detected that the board wasnt plugged and disabled them in the software gui. So my guess is that it still send spdif tru the connector.

I was a bit disapointed when I see that opencubicplayer dont see it as a wavetable device 🙁

Also I changed the 32mb ram for a 64ram but when I load mwah_3c.94b (thank you elianda) the computer start to fool around : random video glitch, slow midi playback ... but otherwise if I full the 64mb of many patch it's all ok !