VOGONS

Common searches

DirectSerial patch

Topic actions

Reply 42 of 353, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HAL9000, you said that Warcraft was still working with your new version, but I can't get it to work with version 0.63. I see a lot of network traffic, but Warcraft crashes (it doesn't respond anymore, and I can't get my mouse back with ctrl-F10). Killing one of the players gives the other his control back. When you say "still" do you mean compared to 0.63?

And about retaliator, I can't get it to talk to the modem. Whatever I type in, ATZ, ATS1, etc, I don't see modem messages on the stdout.

And a problem with TZone, is that the phonenr field is not long enough to type in an IP-address.

Do you have sollutions for these problems?

And, are your modifications going to be part of the new version of dosbox?

Reply 43 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Warcraft: You're talking about IPX, right? (just to be sure)
I only tested if a game could be started, not much more. Warcraft1 is a bit primitive and playing against myself is not so much fun.

Retaliator: In the head to head menu, press F2 to set the right com port.

TZone: The modem accepts alphabetical computer names as phone numbers. The IP number format is only necessary if the game only accept numbers, like Warcraft1. Of course your network must be able to resolve the name properly (ping computername gives response). This is already possible in 0.63, but with a bug, though. TZone accepts letters. Another hint for TZone: In the AUTO-Field, type ATS0=1.

The 'still' is related to IPX and 0.63 and not too extensive testing.

Wether my code gets into official Dosbox or not is not my decision 😉

Reply 44 of 353, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Warcraft: You're talking about IPX, right? (just to be sure)
I only tested if a game could be started, not much more. Warcraft1 is a bit primitive and playing against myself is not so much fun.

Yeah, ipx. The game doesn't even start. It's says "connecting" forever, until one of the player's dosbox's is killed. Then the other says "failed to connect"

Retaliator: In the head to head menu, press F2 to set the right com port.

I of course set the correct com port 😀. Choosing the wrong port gives an error. Choosing COM2 just does nothing.

Years ago, I have been able to play it over a modem.

TZone: The modem accepts alphabetical computer names as phone numbers. The IP number format is only necessary if the game only accept numbers, like Warcraft1. Of course your network must be able to resolve the name properly (ping computername gives response). This is already possible in 0.63, but with a bug, though. TZone accepts letters. Another hint for TZone: In the AUTO-Field, type ATS0=1.

I was planning to play over the internet, so user342342.ispBLA.domain.net doesn't fit 😀. But, I could add the IP to my OS's hosts file.

But IPX is my first problem. The modem doesn't work at all, because the virtual modem doesn't respond to the game. It gets stuck in it's responses.

Have all these features been tested on Linux? If I can, I'll try testing all this on two windows machines.

Reply 45 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Warcraft: Ok, just checked it - doesn't work on 063, maybe I mixed up dosboxes back then...

If you are using the dosbox.conf in my zip file, the modem is on COM1. Retaliator doesn't cause problems over here. COM2 is directserial com1.

The hosts file will probably be the only way you get this to work with long names.

I haven't tested this on Linux because I currently don't have one installed. And I'd probably get mad trying to compile something 😅 if it behaves the same way as MinGW does. (No, I'm not Linux-ignorant 😉 )

Reply 46 of 353, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you are using the dosbox.conf in my zip file, the modem is on COM1. Retaliator doesn't cause problems over here. COM2 is directserial com1.

I didn't use your conf. The modem part doesn't have much to configure, so I don't see the need. Direct serial isn't even present in my config, which I believe had to do with the inabillity to use it on Linux.

I also tried having it on COM1, with the same result.

Reply 48 of 353, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You mean Retaliator on 0.63? I never wrote anywhere that it works...

Well, I was asuming my problem was more with Retal than with Dosbox, because the modem didn't give any response at all. So far, every game produced something as modemcommands on stdout, Retal didn't. Yet I was still able to type in commands.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you knew of any Retal modem issues, not related to dosbox. I guess you don't 🙁

Reply 50 of 353, by whocrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, there is no way to control how the voice synth program handles the com port, you can only specify com 1 com2 or whatever. Since vdm sound doesn't work properly with what I want to do with it, thats why I decided to use dosbox, because I heard that the sound is better. I hope that someday somehow I'll be able to get my voice synth program working. I could attach the main .com file if you like, though I'm not sure if you'll even be able to test it out, because you need the actual hardware present, and. what's more, you can't just use any old hardware, you need the hardware with the right serial number embedded in it.
the hardware I use is made by artic technologies.

Reply 51 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You could give http://www.digsys.se/adf.html another try - that link works for me. The file is http://www.digsys.se/cgi-bin/download.pl/adf_150.zip .

Edit: Oh sorry - now I realized that you are looking for msvc*71d.dll, not msvc*71.dll. I wonder what went wrong there... Anyway rename the libraries msvcr71.dll and msvcp71.dll to msvcr71d.dll and msvcp71d.dll, should be a quick fix.

Reply 53 of 353, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could it be that the precompiled exe uses the debug variants of msvcrt? at least that's what that name sounds like, IMHO. I guess there's an option in MSVC to choose which CRT you wish to link against...

Reply 54 of 353, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes, I made a mistake there.

Preprocessor definitions were set to WIN32;_DEBUG;_CONSOLE (Release build)
With WIN32;_CONSOLE it linked to the correct library. Replacing the binaries now...

Reply 56 of 353, by whocrazy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

uh oh. Just ran in to another problem. there is a key combo that dosbox uses, but also an old program uses it as well. the key is f9, and instead of doing what I want it to when using my old program, it kills dosbox. No there isn't any way for me to use the keymapper because for some reason the speech program won't read it, and the old program in question doesn't have any facilities to change the f9 key to something else. Any suggestions?
What if we have another screen that comes up where you can alt-tab to it and it is there where you can press f9 to kill dosbox and f11 and f12 to increase and decrease the cpu cycles etc instead of doing it from the main dosbox window. this would avoid keyboard conflicts

Reply 57 of 353, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well they keymapper is the only solution.
maybe somebody can create a mapper.txt which has ctrl-f9 disabled.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 58 of 353, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try this, it's a default key config, just ctrl-f9 has been disabled. Put it alongside your dosbox.conf.

Attachments

• Filename
    mapper.txt
    File size
    2.32 KiB
    Downloads
    66 downloads
    File comment
    mapper.txt with ctrl-f9 disabled
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 59 of 353, by jeanmi75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello, I use dosbox to program plc. Since the patch 4 I do not have more blocking but I cannot change the baudrate any more
it remains to block has 9600 baud
I use a software DOS whose I do not have any more the sources and procomm dos
thank you of your assistance