Rank
Microsoft-Windows-Sound-System-ISA-card_900-310-010-B.JPG
Filename
Microsoft-Windows-Sound-System-ISA-card_900-310-010-B.JPG
File size
3.25 MiB
Views
File comment
Actual card which the audio was captured from.
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A few years ago, on my first Vogons post, I was asked by a user DracoNihil to record game soundtracks by Stephane Picq.

DracoNihil wrote:

Thank you so much for this, I absolutely love this game's music.

I also like KGB and Mega Race 1, Stéphane Picq is a very talented musician.

Well I have finally made recordings which I think he will enjoy, hopefully more people will enjoy these recordings as well. I have made 96-kilohertz recordings of Picq's music on the OPL-3 and OPL-2. I will be the first to admit that they are not perfect, but they are enjoyable to listen to IMO. Enjoy these recordings..with J River Media Center, Foobar 2000, VLC Media Player or anything else that supports WavPack. Let me know what you think of them, good or suggestions for improvement.

Dune OPL-2 https://archive.org/details/picq96khzmastersduneopl2
Dune OPL-3 https://archive.org/details/picq96khzmastersduneopl3
KGB OPL-3 Rdosplay21b https://archive.org/details/picq96khzmasterskgbopl3
Mega Race OPL-2 https://archive.org/details/picq96khzmastersmegarace

All those years ago I conjured Cloudschatze out of the depths of Vogons to ask him to make and release AdLib GOLD recordings of the Dune soundtrack with the reverb module, as not many of us have a AdLib GOLD around. I hope mr.Cloudschatze makes another appearance and I am happy to settle with 16-bit @ 44.1-khz stereo or 16-bit @ 48-khz stereo recordings of dune for AdLib GOLD. I am also very interested in the AdLib Visual Composer 2 uncompressed recordings without reverb added. Cloudschatze, if you'd release uncompressed recordings of Dune with reverb and AdLib Visual Composer 2 files without reverb, I would massively appreciate it. One of these days I'll get an OPL-4 to make recordings of EUROMAN and the other samples there, but AdLib GOLD is unattainable at this point.

Cloudschatze wrote:
Digital captures would be ideal, and outside of this particular title, I'd simply grab the S/PDIF output from a CT1747-bearing A […]
Show full quote
alex.schroedsen wrote:

Now we...just need to hound Cloudschatze for lossless copies of the Dune...

Digital captures would be ideal, and outside of this particular title, I'd simply grab the S/PDIF output from a CT1747-bearing AWE32 card and present that.

The problem with Dune, however, is that faithful reproduction of its soundtrack requires an actual Ad Lib Gold card, due to exclusive use of both the onboard Philips TDA8425, and the expansion-based Yamaha YM7128. Since both of these chips operate solely in the analog domain, we're stuck with needing to capture the analog output...

My original Dune (and VC2) recordings were done at 16-bit/44.1kHz, which never seemed adequate to me, and for which I've wanted to go back and capture 24-bit/88.2kHz recordings instead. So, while I no longer have the original WAV file recordings, I'd be hesitant to share them for this reason besides. I think I'll use your interest as an impetus to get new recordings taken.

Perhaps I'll get Mega Race and KGB's soundtracks uploaded here too.

Two years back, I went through the exercise of recording the KGB soundtrack using the Ad Lib Gold card. Unlike Dune, KGB has no unique/native support for the extra features of the Ad Lib Gold, so I took the liberty of applying some of the same EQ and effect settings that Picq used for Dune. I briefly posted MP3 conversions of these recordings on the QuestStudios forum, but a problem with KGB's music driver (specific to the floppy version) bothered me enough to scrap the entire completed project. I do still have those (16-bit/44.1kHz) WAV files though. Here's one of the MP3 conversions to give you an idea:

http://www.symphoniae.com/soundcard/Ad_Lib/GO … GB/BUROKRAT.mp3

Thank you so much for your attention.

Reply 1 of 3, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd probably dump any ultrasonics, but you may want to characterize the action of the Gold's filters somewhat. If they've done things properly, 24 bits at 44.1 or 48khz (pick your poison) would be plenty.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 3, by alex.schroedsen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion gdjacobs. I want to submit the whole hog of 96-khz and people can re-sample and truncate as they please. I think that listening to these recordings at half-speed is also interesting.

I'm curious what characteristics the AdLib GOLD filters have. I don't know very much about the AdLib GOLD other than that it is OPL-3+PCM and has an optional reverb module.

Reply 3 of 3, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, this is swell. Thanks for putting the effort into making these recordings, it's much appreciated!

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων